Question about players and coaches calling each other out

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has heard but Jeremy Shockey sort of called out Coughlin after they got beat by Seattle..And he is catching grief cuz of it

In part he said "we were outplayed and out coached, with out coached emphasized...

Here is my question...

We all know coaches can and will say a player is not doing there best etc......and no one says a word..but a player does it and everyone is having a fit..

I personally think a player is not suppose to call out the coaches...those are technically your bosses and you wouldnt really do it in the "real world"

But if a player cant do it, why is okay for a coach to do it?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shockey is my favorite non-Packer, but in my opinion out of line here. You don't publically question your own head coach.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because it is the coaches job to evaluate players and decide their playing time and situations that they will be utilized in the best interests of the team. They are to prod, poke and provoke individuals and the team into performing to the best of their abilities -- by hook or by crook. This is a big part of their job descriptions and what they are paid to do, and are evaluated by their superior -- the GM.

Players are paid to play football. The only evaluation that is in their job description is self-evaluation. They are a single part of a team, whose job description requires them to work as a part of a system in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts This what they are paid to do and they are evaluated by their superiors -- the coaches.

Attempts to turn these processes upside down are insubordinate an cancerous to the functioning of a team.

When players begin criticizing coaches it is time for the GM to fine, suspend, trade or cut the player OR fire the coaching staff for losing control of the team. PERIOD

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Question about players and coaches calling each other ou

I can't think of any coaches PUBLICLY calling out specific players. Maybe they do it behind closed doors, but i don't remember any doing it to the press.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Question about players and coaches calling each other ou

Yes, he did. AFTER he was off the team. They both traded shots at each other.

Members online

Latest posts