1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Question about booking flights

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by IronMan, Apr 8, 2008.

1. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I will be making plans for my tip to Green Bay pretty soon, and I was wondering....when should I make my flight arrangements? As soon as possible? Or should I wait? Which way is cheaper? Last year
    I booked my flight for my Dec. 29th departure about a month in advance, and it was like $350 round trip.

Today, I have been pricing some flights in September and October to Green Bay and they have all been in the $550-$600 range. Will these prices come down in the coming months? Or is the difference in price from last year to this year because of rising fuel costs?

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Generally it is more economical to book well in advance, just flew round trip to Dallas in March for 275 a person on Midwest.. booked about a month in advance.. which airline are you utilizing? And where are you flying out of?

The commuter flights these days are becomming killers on the airfares.

3. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If it's that expensive, I'd wait for a seat sale. Alternatively, you could just fly in to Milwaukee and drive up to Green Bay. I always do this and it's a heck of a lot cheaper and takes about the same amount of time because I don't have to sit around in the Chicago airport for 45 minutes to an hour waiting for my connection.

4. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere that you should book your flight on Wednesday early morning around 1am, I dont know how true this is, but its worth a shot. Usually they say to book a flight 30 days prior.

We usually fly into Milwaukee as well.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,951
    just use priceline or one of those sites..

6. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    The ones I have been pricing have been United, American, and Northwest. I used Northwest last year. I will be flying out of Springfield just like last year. Thats why i was wondering why it is so much more this year. I think it could be a seasonal thing.

Hmmm I didn't think about that option. Thanks.

Thanks. Yeah I'll just keep looking.

Yeah thats what I've been using. I used Orbitz last year.

7. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Try Midwest, they were about 80 dollars cheaper in March..

8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,951
    see what flying into milwaukee then driving up to greenbay, then flying out of greenbay would cost..

I did something like that a few years ago on a trip to ft lauderdale...Cheaper to fly into ft lauderdale then drive to ft myers, and then fly out of ft myers then to fly right into ft myers..and that INCLUDED the car rental

9. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    With Northwest it seems like the window is three weeks prior to departure for decent fares, less than three weeks and it will be very expensive.

I would go to a Travelocity, etc. and sign up for an alert when the fare moves. You then have the option of booking through the discount site or go directly to the airline site and book when you find a good price.

10. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    GREAT advice! Thanks!

11. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I would also look into flying into alternate airports. O'hare in Chicago and even Midway in Chicago. The drive is longer but there are more "discount" airlines that fly into Midway. Make sure you take into account the difference with rental car included.

12. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Another item to possibly look into is changing your departure date or return date, meaning if you are trying to book a departure date of Friday and a return date of Sunday, those are the heavy travel dates and hence you pay more for the booking.

Try altering either the departure or return date to something out of the prime days.. Arrive Thursday instead of Friday or Monday instead of Sunday.. yes it may be another day in hotel costs but may considerably offset the higher costs in travel.

Didn't see it posted, so thought I would throw it in.

13. Twizz

Twizz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you use any of those travel sites, clear your cookies before you go from one site to another. The site reads it and charges only a slight bit lower then previously offered

14. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Sheeeeit! A round trip ticket to Green Bay is now $733. :shock: :-? WTF? Last year it was $350.

15. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I fly a great deal.

I do not know much, but I do know this.

It is true that Wednesday night is the best time to book. The best time to book is between 11 PM E.S.T. and 12 AM E.S.T. Booking so far in advance is not the best option. The best option that I have found is to book on the Wednesday (3) weeks before your flight date.

This time frame is when all airlines evaluate empty seats and drop prices. If you book two days later the prices go up based on the percentage of seats that are filled.

www.sidestep.com is the best site I have found. It will check all web sites travel web sites for you, so you can actually go to sidestep.com and it will bring up the best investment from all sites like expedia, travelocity, price line (Gaurenteed) etc. etc.

You will be flying into Milwaukee. Go in a day earlier and spend Friday Night on Brady Street. It is a blast. If you are going to a game in the Summer plan it out so you will be arriving during the Music Fest in Milwaukee. It is the best Music Festival in North America.

For what it is worth.....

Cheers.

R.P.

16. johnny_blood

johnny_blood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Milwaukee is a 1.5 hour drive and traffic does not really exist.

Chicago is 3-3.5 without traffic. With traffic and construction it can be worse. Midway instead of O'Hare adds an extra 30 minutes without traffic, about 1 hour with bad traffic.

Milwaukee is probably cheaper and Chicago is certainly cheaper.

In the winter flying into GB increases your chances of delays and being stranded, IMO. At least compared to Chicago.

17. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the help guys. Yeah last year my flight was in December and I booked it like a month in advance. It was $350 round trip. The same ticket now for a round trip flight in October is $700. If i were to fly into Milwaukee it is about $100 cheaper. But then I would need to rent a car so I'm not really gaining anything. I would prefer to fly into Green Bay like I did last year, rather than Milwaukee, or Chicago.

I'll just keep looking and hopefully I'll find a better deal. Although I'm not going to let the high prices stop me from going. My trip to Green Bay last year costed a little over $1000 all together and it was worth every red cent. :towel:

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    With the way fuel prices are, you might want to get it done soon. If fuel keeps rising, so will the cost to fly.

19. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I found a round trip flight for about $350 and I booked it. See ya in Green Bay on October 18th! Hopefully we can have another get together like we did last year. Cheesey said he will buy the drinks! 8)

20. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    What did you end up doing Ironman? Flying into Milwaukee or Green Bay? And what site did you use?

21. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I used Orbitz. Although there are many sites that find the same deals. You just have to keep checking daily.

My connecting flight is in Chicago and from there I will fly into Green Bay.

22. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info IronMan, I have been checking daily for flights to WI, but cant find anything under $435 which is crazy, it will only get worse Im afraid.