QB Seneca Wallace

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured T.T. had something up his sleeve when he released both Harrell and Young. Congrats to Seneca Wallace but Lord hope we never see the need for him.

Isn't David Carr on the market? Would feel way better with him as a backup.

12theTruth

Wallace is a HUGE improvement over BJ Coleman! Wallace is good for a couple years or so. Tolzien we can take a look at, run him through the QB school and see if he has what it takes. If not, expend an appropriate draft pick next year to address the position.
What makes it EXTREMELY difficult to judge any of these former backup QB candidates is MOST of their reps have been with lineman who were backups and even now unemployed and looking for work.
Much of what has happened has been a byproduct over the injuries to Sherrod, Bulaga, and Tretter. A less chaotic offseason with the offensive line may have meant more of the status quo in regards to the QB position. In the long run this will benefit the Packers as Harrell and Coleman each looked thoroughly un-qualified to step in for Rodgers.
From the outside, one can't help but see desperation in these sequence of moves by the Packers. I'm praying that either Tretter or Sherrod can come back from the PUP to be a contributor this season and help the O-line keep our MVP on his feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we dumped Young and TT said it was his fault not bringing him in sooner so he would be more familiar with the offense. Then we sign a guy after the pre-season to be our primary back up?

This is a big gamble. Big gamble.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we dumped Young and TT said it was his fault not bringing him in sooner so he would be more familiar with the offense. Then we sign a guy after the pre-season to be our primary back up?

This is a big gamble. Big gamble.

That's TT for ya...sometimes he leaves you scratching your head. This is one of those times, instead of some help on the oline we are playing musical qb's now...backup at that.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm extremely worried about Tolzien being a Packer. He has a very in-depth knowledge of the 49ers offense and I'm sure that information will be invaluable to the Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm extremely worried about Tolzien being a Packer. He has a very in-depth knowledge of the 49ers offense and I'm sure that information will be invaluable to the Packers.
I think insider knowledge is over-rated. What can we see that we haven't seen already? Maybe a few new wrinkles in the offense? Probably would have helped last season, but I'm not sure of the value now.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace will be fine. If Rodgers goes down for a long time we are done regardless of our backup, unless its Tom Brady or Manning. If Rodgers misses a game or two we might win one, I'm fine with that. Brady and Manning are not going to demand a trade to the packers. Who was a free agent this offseason that was so great?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace will be fine. If Rodgers goes down for a long time we are done regardless of our backup, unless its Tom Brady or Manning. If Rodgers misses a game or two we might win one, I'm fine with that. Brady and Manning are not going to demand a trade to the packers. Who was a free agent this offseason that was so great?
I totally agree. If we lose Rodgers we are down the ****-shute anyway. If we, like most every team, are going to make a run at the Super Bowl then we have to keep our starting QB upright. Therefore, I'm more concerned that we have an OL in front of him that will keep him that way.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Ed Werder of ESPN the Packers are signing QB Seneca Wallace who will be Aaron Rodgers backup

Is it OK to start a thread even when there is a related thread under the Packers News section put there by NewsBot, or should those things be merged or are we supposed to respond to the thread under the news section only and not start a second one?

Just want to be clear on what the protocols are regarding when something gets posted under News.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So was Wallace and Tolzen not available until now or did the Packers office all of a sudden have a brainstorm for a game plan for week one?
This reeks of desperation and it seems that they have not been preparing with less than a week to go.
But then again, I guess the first game really isn't the focus until all 4 pre-seasons are played first?
Either way it is wonky.
I hope it helps them be ready for the 9ers.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So was Wallace and Tolzen not available until now or did the Packers office all of a sudden have a brainstorm for a game plan for week one?
This reeks of desperation and it seems that they have not been preparing with less than a week to go.
But then again, I guess the first game really isn't the focus until all 4 pre-seasons are played first?
Either way it is wonky.

Had a game plan..I heard the other day they were in the works for a back up

12theTruth

Either way it is wonky.

Thompson coveted Young for quite some time, I bet McCarthy and him probably had a discussion about the lack of progress of Coleman and Harrell which led to adding Vince Young. I almost think MM's loyalty got in the way of common sense regarding the backups. Harrell was a close friend of Rodgers as well. Thompson and McCarthy appear as though they are on different pages as a result of this whole backup QB mess. If there was some game plan it sure was clumsily handled. Instead of game plan it should be more aptly referred to as back-up plan.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it OK to start a thread even when there is a related thread under the Packers News section put there by NewsBot, or should those things be merged or are we supposed to respond to the thread under the news section only and not start a second one?

Just want to be clear on what the protocols are regarding when something gets posted under News.

Why would it be so wrong to comment on the newsbot thread if it is the 1st one?

We could then move it...

H

HardRightEdge

I'm OK with this given the late date and limited options. Wallace is a step up from Young and Coleman in any event.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thompson coveted Young for quite some time, I bet McCarthy and him probably had a discussion about the lack of progress of Coleman and Harrell which led to adding Vince Young. I almost think MM's loyalty got in the way of common sense regarding the backups. Harrell was a close friend of Rodgers as well. Thompson and McCarthy appear as though they are on different pages as a result of this whole backup QB mess. If there was some game plan it sure was clumsily handled. Instead of game plan it should be more aptly referred to as back-up plan.

http://sulia.com/channel/green-bay-packers/f/799eccbd-58e0-48cb-b392-2fe97a5ee305/?source=fb

We dressed 70-plus players for each preseason game, and every player played in those games, four quarterbacks included. So you go through that, you create opportunities, you evaluate and you assess, and that's really the matter of what happened, so if it didn't work out the way people are used to, I make no apologies for that at all.

We're about building a football team each and every year, building a team to go win a championship. You do an evaluation where you give everybody a true opportunity and it's the responsibility of the individuals to take advantage of those opportunities. That did not happen in certain positions. So with that, this is our 53 and we feel great about it."

12theTruth

Sounds like something Mike McCarthy would say. Doesn't really change the fact that they scrambled a bit on the QB. If Seneca Wallace was part of the game plan. He would have been on the roster earlier getting snaps acclimating him to McCarthy's system. If anything McCarthy sounds on the defensive side in that article.

As it is Wallace is an upgrade to those he replaced. In the end, a positive, just a difficult road traveled to get here.

Wallace signed with the Saints back in April of this year, but he was available for over a year up until that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really not the thinking and really unhappy with these moves.

H

HardRightEdge

Sounds like something Mike McCarthy would say.

I sounds like something any NFL head coach would say. Translation:

"We did what we did when we did it, and because we did it we're OK with it, whatever "it" might be. Our object is to win, not lose, and we have no problem reminding anybody of that fact."

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted he has no experience in the west coast offense (Which we run a more vertical version of) I think Brady Quinn would've been a better choice than Senecca Wallace. Quinn is a smart QB, that throughout his career either A.) Hasn't been given a shot or B.) When he HAS been given a shot has had nothing to work with. (Cleveland) He ran very effectively a pro-style offense in college under Weiss his last 2 years, and was in the final ballot for the Heisman as a senior. Now I know I'm gonna get torched for this post, but honestly, he's a better QB than Wallace!

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted he has no experience in the west coast offense (Which we run a more vertical version of) I think Brady Quinn would've been a better choice than Senecca Wallace. Quinn is a smart QB, that throughout his career either A.) Hasn't been given a shot or B.) When he HAS been given a shot has had nothing to work with. (Cleveland) He ran very effectively a pro-style offense in college under Weiss his last 2 years, and was in the final ballot for the Heisman as a senior. Now I know I'm gonna get torched for this post, but honestly, he's a better QB than Wallace!

Brady Quinn signed with Jets today (Sunday). Graham Harrill was released today by Jets.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Wallace is who Russel Wilson should have been. Only less talented.

Holmgren WCO, MM WCO: Day, Night

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to toot my own horn for suggesting we would get one of these guys from SF (I never thought both) in the Backup Quarterback thread.

Yeah, MM and TT screwed this up but I agree that the best part is that they are moving on. For those that always believe that TT sits on his mistakes....another instance of the opposite.

Seneca was pretty good when he came in, and while he doesn't know our system specifically, will have a leg up on Tolzien and anyone else that we still may bring into the mix.

As for getting info AmishMafia, there are many more things that we can get beyond what kind of plays they run. QBs can tell us the specific audibles Kaepernick is using this season, they can tell us any new plays worked into the playbook, etc. I'm tempted to agree that these types of moves are overrated, but I firmly believe that they are still are useful.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts