QB Joe Callahan again has been signed by Packers

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
WDUZ Radio 'The Fan" has reported this morning that QB Joe Callahan, who was cut by Browns has been signed again by Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
WDUZ Radio 'The Fan" has reported this morning that QB Joe Callahan, who was cut by Browns has been signed again by Packers.

"Cut by Browns", now there is a glowing resume!"

Welcome back Joe, you were probably better off in the Packer system anyway!

H

HardRightEdge

Does this speak to what they currently think about Rodgers' hammy?
Of course. It's insurance in the event that the injury keeps Rodgers off the field at some point. Having only 2 QBs was unconventional in the first place.

I've not seen a report on this, but I would guess Callahan is signed to the 53 man roster rather than the PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Although the Packers may want insurance of having someone behind center if AR and then Hundley go down, but if that happens (AR goes down), I doubt it would matter who is behind center, season over.

I think this was more along the lines of the Packers really liking Callahan and wanting him back for the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

Although the Packers may want insurance of having someone behind center if AR and then Hundley go down, but if that happens (AR goes down), I doubt it would matter who is behind center, season over.

While that's true the team would still like to have a backup quarterback familiar with the system in that case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While that's true the team would still like to have a backup quarterback familiar with the system in that case.

I thought that was Matt Flynn's job, if needed? ;)

But you are right. Callahan could probably play right away, if needed. At that point, it would most likely be him playing for getting experience, which would benefit the Packers more then some 4-5 game FA Vet QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I had to look Flynn up to see if he was even available, he is. The surprising thing was his age, he is only 31. I was thinking he had been around the NFL for 20 + years LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't forget that the Packers had three quarterbacks active on game day for the rest of the 2014 season after Rodgers injured his calf yet he was able to play in every game.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think this was more along the lines of the Packers really liking Callahan and wanting him back for the future.

I hope that's the only reason !

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO any hope of this season amounting to something goes out the window if AR isn't behind center. If Callahan is put on the PS, I will assume that the Packers aren't that concerned about AR's hammy. If he is on the 53 and active on Sunday, let the concern begin.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If AR's hammy continues to give him problems and the Packers find themselves out of the playoff race, I wouldn't be surprised to see AR shut down for the year and to see a lot of both Hundley and Callahan.

H

HardRightEdge

I think this was more along the lines of the Packers really liking Callahan and wanting back for the future.
Oh, they had to sign a QB. If Callahan is the best available option in a 2016 emergency situation because he knows the system, so be it. If Tolzien were on the street instead of playing as Luck's backup, they might have signed his sorry a*s instead.

"Season over" may the overriding concern of a fan. I can assure you that the organization would still want to put its best foot forward in trying to win games.

If we assume Rodgers plays against Houston, entering a game with 2 QBs on the game day roster, albeit one being dinged up, is hardly a sin.

Let's say Rodgers' condition worsens and he can't play against Seattle.

Having 1 QB on the game day roster is extremely risky because if that guy goes down you're in the embarrassing situation of having to use Nelson or Cobb or whoever is the emergency QB. Besides Callahan, street QB options who don't know the system are unattractive. And if you waited until after the Houston game to sign Callahan, somebody might sign him ahead of you, perhaps a team that has the Packers coming up on the schedule.

Having only 2 QBs on the roster is risky to begin with. Having 1 dinged and 1 healthy is very risky. Having only one QB who can play is an embarrassing and a display of organizational incompetence. So, yeah, there are important concerns after "season over".

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

The way this season has gone, I'm almost surprised we didn't lose both QB's to injury in the same game without a true third. I guess they would have finished the game with Cobb in the wildcat in such an event. That would be interesting and challenging for McCarthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know the actual stats, but I doubt many teams actually dress 3 QB's for many games. So in that case, you are always "at risk" for being down to your emergency QB for that particular game. While its nice to have the luxury of a quality #3 QB on your 53, I was always fine with rolling the dice with AR and 1 quality (hopefully) backup like Hundley.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Cobb play a little QB in college? We always have him :sneaky:

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn't Cobb play a little QB in college? We always have him :sneaky:

Well, Cobb only completed 50.8% of his 122 passes in college for 689 yards, five touchdowns and five interceptions. I'd rather have the Packers play a true quarterback.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Cobb is/was at one point listed as the Emergency QB. I don't know....maybe we should try Montgomery? :coffee:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Cobb only completed 50.8% of his 122 passes in college for 689 yards, five touchdowns and five interceptions. I'd rather have the Packers play a true quarterback.
I was just playing around. I have no problem having Hundley and Callahan as our backups, but I really hope Aaron will be 100% for this final stretch. #RunTheTable

Members online

Latest posts