QB Draft?

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF the Pack are going to draft a QB, it seems that this would be the year. The QB pool seems to be really deep. I think it would be great if we could land a guy like Stephen LeFlors (SP), or maybe Andrew Walter. Walter really isnt anything special, but he has potential. The only thing there is I question his toughness. LeFlors would be a better pick up and has unbelievable vision of the field. One of those guys who always knows where his receivers are. The other "gem" that seems to be a sleeper is Timmy Chan. Did anyone see how many yards he threw for? Just thought I would throw this out there...

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently so do the Packers. Great Blue North Draft report reported Tom Rossely attended Frye's Pro Day and liked what he saw. Report said Frye showed much better arm strength than he displayed at the Combine. Must have been the Roids kicking in already?

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whom ever you like, make sure hes about the 4th thru 6th qb on the list

thats about where it will fall at the packers number

do you want to spend a number one on a maybe

look at the last 10 years, and the 4th thru 10th qbs that were selected, where are these guys now

wanna predict how this one will come out

even if they get the greatest luck in nfl hiatory and get a great qb with that pick, they still have a dozen major holes that will keep them from being a contender

remember they had a absolutely awful defense last yera and they havent done thing one to help it, and they lost perhaps the best player , 42 since then

loren

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LOREN said:
look at the last 10 years, and the 4th thru 10th qbs that were selected, where are these guys now

Marc Bulger <-- starter, rams
Tom Brady <-- SB MVP, starter, pats
Matt Hasselbeck <-- starter, seahawks
Daunte Culpepper <-- starter, vikings
Aaron Brooks <-- starter, saints
Rex Grossman <-- starter, bears
J.P. Losman <--- starter, bills

1. Aaron Rodgers*, California
2. Alex Smith*, Utah
3. Charlie Frye, Akron
4. Jason Campbell, Auburn
5. Dan Orlovsky, Connecticut
6. Andrew Walter, Arizona State
7. Kyle Orton, Purdue
8. Derek Anderson, Oregon State

^^ that is how many sites are projecting the qb talent in this draft and the packers are said to be quite high on Charlie Frye

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a QB this year (other than Adrian McPherson in the 3rd round or later) would be stupid. There is no QB this year who is worth a first round pick besides Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith, and they'll be gone in the top three. We don't need one anyway. Hey this is my first post in a LONG time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
BrettFavre4MVP said:
Drafting a QB this year (other than Adrian McPherson in the 3rd round or later) would be stupid. There is no QB this year who is worth a first round pick besides Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith, and they'll be gone in the top three. We don't need one anyway. Hey this is my first post in a LONG time.

Oops

use this link brett lol
http://thedeleted.com/sigz/hosted/favre001.jpg

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
LOREN said:

not a very impressive list is it, and how many draft picks were ther to weed this small group out of, now lets dog a little deeper

bulger, so whats he ever done in the nf, just about nothing

hasselback, heres a guy starting for a team whos tried many others and hes the only guy left

brooks, another guy who starts because new orleans has no one else

grossman, lets see chicago had like 5 qbs last year, and were so desperate they even has boy george, grossman has great upside, but hasnt proved a thing

lossman, more upside, on a team thats underperformed for a while,

culpepper should have gone as a higher pick, but other teams drafted total loosers ahead of him, still even with all his throws, not much of a record as far as wins

brady, a real 1 of a 100 plus find, hes got a great team around him, any number of other qbs would do very well in the same talent pool

put him on last years 49ers team and we never hear of him

in the last 10 years there have been 70 qbs taken on with draft days picks, as teh 4th thru 10 th qbs in the draft---even takeing these 7 names, without comments on them, only 1 in 10 even pans out .

thats my contention, do you want a 1 in 10 chance of a qb, and waste another 1 st round pick.

and further , the packes over all talent is below the two guys above teams talent level--minn and ne--who actauly have amounted to good players

remember steve young how good he was in san fran, do you remmeber how crappy he was in tampa????????

yes its all about talent with you.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LOREN said:
SlickVision said:
LOREN said:

not a very impressive list is it, and how many draft picks were ther to weed this small group out of, now lets dog a little deeper

hasselback, heres a guy starting for a team whos tried many others and hes the only guy left

lossman, more upside, on a team thats underperformed for a while,

culpepper should have gone as a higher pick, but other teams drafted total loosers ahead of him, still even with all his throws, not much of a record as far as wins

brady, a real 1 of a 100 plus find, hes got a great team around him, any number of other qbs would do very well in the same talent pool

remember steve young how good he was in san fran, do you remmeber how crappy he was in tampa????????

yes its all about talent with you.

I'd respond to this directly but it'd humilate you and I don't wanna do that. Just a piece of advice, next time you ask a question, make sure you know or have atleast the slightest notion of the answer.

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.[/quote]

I'd respond to this directly but it'd humilate you and I don't wanna do that. Just a piece of advice, next time you ask a question, make sure you know or have atleast the slightest notion of the answer.[/quote]

oh no mr slickvision, please tell me why gbay would get so lucky as to draft a qb with a the pick they have

given the very poor luck that the last 10 years have seen with qb picks 4 through 10 in the draft

the packers have a team history of poor drafts going back as far as the draft does

heres a further question, even if gbay were to get one of the top 3 qbs in the draft by some trade--

over the last 10 years, look at all the extreme busts there have been, and even more will fall into that area when teams drop these high priced underacheivers after takeing the big $$ loss

just looks at the two gbay has had in the last couple years, a smith and coush.

every scouting reprt had them as top quality, and neither could do squat. of the 30 qbs drafted in the last 10 drafts, in the top 3 selections for qbs, its been far from a sure thing

and the price and the down side is no where near worth the risk to a team like gbay who has so many holes to fill

remember this, even the great b favre, who had a very good season last yaer, couldnt over come the lack of a defense and general overall talent

and now the talent pool is far less than in 2004, right now today

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt, any pick, trade or FA signing is a risk. Teams have to do their homework to ensure they get the right guy! Fact is GB has many holes to fill. No body wants to admitt it, but w/ Franks, Davenport, Green, Driver and most likely Farve in the last year of their contracts, GB has just as many holes on offense as it does on Def. Why wait until all these players are gone via FA or retirement, before we draft their possible replacement. Doesn't that set us up to draft more for need than picking the best possible player? I think it does. On the other hand, I'm sure GB knows which of these positions they value more and which players they want to resign and keep. The simple choice is to draft the best PERSON/ Player available regardless what position he plays. GB needs depth and playmakers at every position.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
what a pointless discussion.

shame on the both of you for making me read that. :wink: :wink:

True, but its funny watchin others make fool out of themselves. He/She keeps throwing words in my mouth. He/She asked where are the QB's drafted as the 4th-6th QB in the draft over the the last ten years were, I answered with a few and the rest is a waste of the internets hard drive. It's good thing I'm at work and bored :D

LOREN said:
This here comes off to me like there is a impressive list. Could you show me? Then we can pass this information off to the Packers draft ppl and enjoy many years of great drafts.

loren said:
oh no mr slickvision, please tell me why gbay would get so lucky as to draft a qb with a the pick they have

See here this sounds almost like you are implying that by my post of say Tom Brady being picked in the 6th?? round that the Packers will get a stud QB. Nah, no way. I remember Tony Mandrich and missing out on Barry Sanders like it was yesterday. Heck you figure each draft there is about 225?? players picked, how many actually get on the team? The draft is a hit or miss production and thats why we like it so muc because you NEVER know who will produce and who will leaf it ERR flop.

I don't wanna argue here, but all I did was answer your question. I didnt mean to imply the Packers were gonna get the next Bart Starr, I was jus replying to your question. So now please lets stop this.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I remember Tony Mandrich and missing out on Barry Sanders like it was yesterday.

Knowing that they go on to win it all in 96-97, and that Green Bay drafting Sanders alters the course of football history, are ya really all that disappointed?:mrgreen:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JD said:
SlickVision said:
I remember Tony Mandrich and missing out on Barry Sanders like it was yesterday.

Knowing that they go on to win it all in 96-97, and that Green Bay drafting Sanders alters the course of football history, are ya really all that disappointed?:mrgreen:

I am a Packer fan, but Barry Sanders was/is one of my two biggest role models ever. Having the pleasure to watch him 16 games a year for ten years would have been awesome.

Who's to say if we have Barry we dont go the to SB or even more than once.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
JD said:
SlickVision said:

I am a Packer fan, but Barry Sanders was/is one of my two biggest role models ever. Having the pleasure to watch him 16 games a year for ten years would have been awesome.

I've considered that, but still would not change a thing. If Sanders is a Packer maybe there comes a year when both him and #4 don't fit under the cap. I'll take history and a Superbowl title over what may have been. :D

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
JD said:
SlickVision said:

or if we pick barry in that spot and with no offensive line, barry gets hammered and retires due to getting so many injuries

my idea back then was to trade the high pick and get about 3 good picks out of it, gbay was very poor at that time, even if tony had become a hall of famer, the team would still have been poor for a long time

through out nfl draft history, teams have taken a great player and they have failed due to supporting cast, look at how many great qbs and runners have flopped being top 3 picks to very poor teams

i think barry at gbay would have been another

its always fun to go back a few seasons and redraft, isnt it??

i

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JD said:
I've considered that, but still would not change a thing. If Sanders is a Packer maybe there comes a year when both him and #4 don't fit under the cap. I'll take history and a Superbowl title over what may have been. :D

I'm not sure how well versed you are on Barry Sanders but he wanted championship over money. Same goes with Brett. Part of the reason he retired was because the Lions weren't doing anything positive to increase the teams chances of a super bowl. He's also I belive in his book I read stated if need be to sign a key player he would have taken a pay deduction to acquire that player.

LOREN said:
or if we pick barry in that spot and with no offensive line, barry gets hammered and retires due to getting so many injuries

my idea back then was to trade the high pick and get about 3 good picks out of it, gbay was very poor at that time, even if tony had become a hall of famer, the team would still have been poor for a long time

What are you trying to say? That by taking Tony Mandrich we had a stellar OL? Or are you trying to say the Lions had a stellar OL? Because here is a newsflash THEIR OL SUCKED, okay lomas brown was a stud.

If the Lions had a decent OLfor more than 3 years of his 10 year career he would have had a lot more yards.

Another thing I'm not sure if you know who Barry Sanders is, the man was a pinball and RARELY ever EVER took a hard hit even with the crappy OL the Lions provided for him.

Lets view these and imagine how unreachable they would have been if he were on a better team :)

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy, the horrible management we had in those years. I really think some of the more knowledgeable fans could have done a better job!

As far as drafting Mandrich, nearly 100% of the teams would have made that pick. Smart management would have as Loren suggested and got a fistfull of picks and players.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Packers were stupid by choosing Tony. The was predicted to be an unmovable wall. I don't blame them for it. But that doesnt mean I wasn't bummed we didn't have Barry.

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I'm not saying the Packers were stupid by choosing Tony. The was predicted to be an unmovable wall. I don't blame them for it. But that doesnt mean I wasn't bummed we didn't have Barry.

theres was no reason tony should not have been a great player and a rock in the line for 15 years. i remember that scouting report, just like ogden , and pace. cant miss and top grades across the board.

i still cant fault the pick, and even if i would have traded the pick, if i were to have kept the pick---i would have taken tony and been very happy with him.

i believe that the line on both sides is where it all starts in building a team. last years pick of the big kid from iowa , was far and away the best player in the draft. the qbs always get all the ink, but they are a far worse gamble than a good soild monster tackle, even if a tony craps out once in a while.

teams have won with average qbs, but rarely with average o line men.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB Draft

No need to draft a QB.

1) You have to cut Sullivan without seeing what he can do.
2) Nall had a better QB rating than that #4 guy last year.
3) That drafted QB won't even handle the clip board this year.

Nall, maybe Green, maybe Walker use some of this year's cap money for extensions saving more room next year. McBrien could be practice squad guy. No room for any more QB's.

Members online

Latest posts