Purple Karma

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Vikings squeaked past the Packers a couple weeks ago, Vikings play-by-play guy Paul Allen was feeling his oats a bit and went off on Matt LeFleur and the Pack:

“I’m gonna take the high road on it and say I’m very impressed by the Green Bay Packers, finding a way to win 8 games despite all those injuries, A-Rodg’s toe, Covid, Lying, and everything. I’m not going to say to that coach what I wanted to say like ‘you can go ahead and put Eric Stokes on Justin Jefferson for the rest of his career, and like he did in 2019 when he was with LSU and Stokes was with Georgia, he [Jefferson] killed him, and he killed him today, and he will kill him every single time they meet.”

Allen ended his remarks bluntly saying “Best of luck to you guys the rest of the way, and quite honestly, I hope you lose every single freaking game the rest of the year.”

Since then, his mighty Viqueens have gone down in flames, including a humiliating loss to the previously winless Lions. As of now the Heidis are out of the playoff picture and are on the verge of being eliminated from winning the division.

Enjoy your high road, Mr. Allen.

Next up for purple failure nation is a date with the Steelers in the Embarrassment Bowl, featuring the team that tied the Lions and the team that lost to the Lions. Should be a hoot.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listening to Paul Allen last week on the radio (after they beat us), he picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl.

Paul Allen can be very good to listen to for sports. He is very smart and does understand football really well. At the same time, he is a childish baffoon the majority of the time. He belittles other people, calls live games with waaaay too much emotion, and comes off as a pompous rear-end.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Allen is the epitome of a Homer. That said, go to You Tube and replay his call of the Vikings losing to the Cardinals on a last second pass to knock them out of the playoffs in 2003. It still makes me smile even though I have loved to replay it countless times.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listening to Paul Allen last week on the radio (after they beat us), he picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl.

Paul Allen can be very good to listen to for sports. He is very smart and does understand football really well. At the same time, he is a childish baffoon the majority of the time. He belittles other people, calls live games with waaaay too much emotion, and comes off as a pompous rear-end.

One part of me thinks, as a Vikings homer, he surely has suffered enough.

The other part of me thinks, "Nah".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Allen is the epitome of a Homer. That said, go to You Tube and replay his call of the Vikings losing to the Cardinals on a last second pass to knock them out of the playoffs in 2003. It still makes me smile even though I have loved to replay it countless times.

That was a great memory.

Also, Allen's epic meltdown when Favre threw that pick against the Saints in the 2009 playoffs.

"This ain't Detroit, man!"

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a great memory.

Also, Allen's epic meltdown when Favre threw that pick against the Saints in the 2009 playoffs.

"This ain't Detroit, man!"
That was beautiful. So was his "the season can't end like this" meltdown when Blair Walsh missed his chipshot FG in the 2015 playoff games against the Seahawks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever heard Paul Allen speak. Might have to go listen to some of his meltdowns.

I will say this about the Vikings, they have Justin Jefferson and that dude scares me. The Packers are going to have to figure out a way to stop him or the Vikings will win games like what they did in this last one. I hope Alexander is back for the Jan 2nd meeting and if there is any hope, we did hold him to 26 yards in each of last years games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This was such an uplifting video that I had to share it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This has been a fun distraction and at the expense of the Vikings...even better.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Vikings squeaked past the Packers a couple weeks ago, Vikings play-by-play guy Paul Allen was feeling his oats a bit and went off on Matt LeFleur and the Pack:

“I’m gonna take the high road on it and say I’m very impressed by the Green Bay Packers, finding a way to win 8 games despite all those injuries, A-Rodg’s toe, Covid, Lying, and everything. I’m not going to say to that coach what I wanted to say like ‘you can go ahead and put Eric Stokes on Justin Jefferson for the rest of his career, and like he did in 2019 when he was with LSU and Stokes was with Georgia, he [Jefferson] killed him, and he killed him today, and he will kill him every single time they meet.”

Allen ended his remarks bluntly saying “Best of luck to you guys the rest of the way, and quite honestly, I hope you lose every single freaking game the rest of the year.”

Since then, his mighty Viqueens have gone down in flames, including a humiliating loss to the previously winless Lions. As of now the Heidis are out of the playoff picture and are on the verge of being eliminated from winning the division.

Next up for purple failure nation is a date with the Steelers in the Embarrassment Bowl, featuring the team that tied the Lions and the team that lost to the Lions. Should be a hoot.
That reminds me. I have to hear the radio call of the game ender yesterday. Is it another NOOOOOO!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I think he said that because a coach?? From Packers was yelling at him off camera..that was Pauls way of go at him

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

On Vikings Postgame, as Allen, Ben Leber, and Gabe Henderson were about to wrap up the show with their Between The Lines segment, a Packers coach approached Allen and told him, “You better not talk into that microphone and give your team any credit.” Something that, according to Allen, has never happened in his 2 decades of covering the team.

Allen then proceeded to feign taking the high road saying, “I’m gonna take the high road on it and say I’m very impressed by the Green Bay Packers, finding a way to win 8 games despite all those injuries

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the final regular season game in 2003 when Josh McCown threw a 4th-and-25 touchdown pass as time expired to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs, and push the Packers in. Allen's meltdown there was glorious.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the final regular season game in 2003 when Josh McCown threw a 4th-and-25 touchdown pass as time expired to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs, and push the Packers in. Allen's meltdown there was glorious.

Let's hope there are many more meltdowns fir Mr. Allen ahead.

No one deserves it more.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the games, nobody is a bigger Homer than Paul Allen. Interestingly, he can take off his Homer hat and his post game analysis is often insightful and not a "woe is us" feel sorry for ourselves type if rant. He can actually be quite critical of the Vikings.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree. He is way too emotional for live radio. Apparently he does a good job with his other main gig, which is calling horse races at Canterbury Park in Shakopee, MN. I've never heard that though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard PA again this morning proclaim that the Vikings will run the table. He predicts that Ben Roethlisberger is too battered and bruised to win this Thursday. He also predicts that the Vikings will win their third straight against Green Bay. He gave no justification for his prediction.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't hear it either, but I would love to.

Karma.
Not the same as the old ' Nooooooo!. " Allen was somber and acted like it was quite likely to happen. Now if the pass had been incomplete he would have screamed how sweet the victory was. He should not have said those words about the Packers and Rodgers after the Vikings eked out a win against a very injury ridden team. I know we are rival opponents and we each want to beat the other. Hitting below the belt is made for some of these boards but not for the radio voice of a Pro Football franchise

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the same as the old ' Nooooooo!. " Allen was somber and acted like it was quite likely to happen. Now if the pass had been incomplete he would have screamed how sweet the victory was. He should not have said those words about the Packers and Rodgers after the Vikings eked out a win against a very injury ridden team. I know we are rival opponents and we each want to beat the other. Hitting below the belt is made for some of these boards but not for the radio voice of a Pro Football franchise

I agree.

Extremely unprofessional.

I'm glad we have Wayne Larivee....He has class.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the announcer perspective, we've been lucky transitioning from Favre to Rodgers in terms of QB greatness. We also lucked out transitioning from Jim Irwin & Max McGee to Wayne Larivee and Larry McCarren.
Those were great years. One transition I had a hard time swallowing was from the late Ted Moore to Gary Bender coming out of the Lombardi era. Ted was very much old school but still brought tremendous insight at a time when the game was very simple.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts