PUP List: Physically Unable to Perform. An Explanation

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Like the practice squad, there is some misconception here. I couldn't find a thread, and figured it would be nice to have one in the archives like the Practice Squad explanation.

Players that have participated in any Training Camp practices (July+) or exhibition games are ineligible for the PUP. Once they participate in TC they cannot be placed on the PUP list to start the season; they must go to IR, be released, or be kept on the active roster. The maximum number of players at any time under any circumstance is 90. That means that any reserve player (suspended, PUP, IR, NFI, etc) counts against the offseason roster. Once you cut to 75 ACTIVE players, reserves are counted as inactive, and therefore do not count against any active roster, but still count against the total 90 man roster. PUP lasts for 6 weeks, after which point teams have a 3 week window to determine whether they want to activate the player to the active roster, send the player to IR, or simply release him. During the three week period the player is allowed to practice with the team. Players on PUP and IR are not allowed to participate in practice. Players on IR are only eligible to be designated for return if they counted against the 53 man active roster. If a Team has 90 men total on a roster, and wishes to place another player on injured reserve, they must release a player currently inactive player in order to do so. If that player is currently designated as an injured player, he must be released through an injury settlement.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That's right, fair or not if a player is on the practice field for one play during TC and gets hurt, he's ineligible for the PUP list. BTW, the reason "a lot" of players show up on the PUP list the first day of TC, even if they're expected to be healthy enough to practice sometime during TC is just in case they can't, they can be put on the PUP list for the regular season. BTW II, in another thread someone mentioned that perhaps Hayward would be headed to the PUP list. But he's ineligible and will be kept on the roster even if he can't play for the first couple/few weeks.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW II, in another thread someone mentioned that perhaps Hayward would be headed to the PUP list. But he's ineligible and will be kept on the roster even if he can't play for the first couple/few weeks.
That was me! As soon as I saw HyponGrey's post I knew it had something to do with my Heyward post. I stand corrected. I was confused

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
That was me! As soon as I saw HyponGrey's post I knew it had something to do with my Heyward post. I stand corrected. I was confused
Lol, it's alright, you weren't the only one, and you won't be the last. Earlier I read about Tramon and Johnson heading to PUP. I just wanted something here to link to.

H

HardRightEdge

PUP guys do not count against the salary cap.

The "even one practice" PUP provision, while a blunt instrument, seems to be designed to prevent teams from stashing players for future use.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I like the pups !!!

Oh, man. If I was talking to her, it would actually hurt my eyes to keep them aimed at the appropriate height. I mean... try doing it just looking at the photo! It's challenging.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Also, I was wrong, even I had a misconception. I was informed that the maximum number of players at any time under any circumstance is 90. That means that any reserve player counts against the offseason roster. Once you cut to 75 ACTIVE players, reserves are counted as inactive, and therefore do not count against any active roster, but still count against the total 90 man roster.

H

HardRightEdge

Also, I was wrong, even I had a misconception. I was informed that the maximum number of players at any time under any circumstance is 90. That means that any reserve player counts against the offseason roster. Once you cut to 75 ACTIVE players, reserves are counted as inactive, and therefore do not count against any active roster, but still count against the total 90 man roster.

Additional Note: I mentioned earlier that PUP guys do not count against the cap. Neither do IR guys. You have to pay them their contracted salaries, but no cap hit. Our $10 million in cap space will now expand.

"but still count against the total 90 man roster"...as in carried over to the 90 man roster next off season provided they are not released in the interim. The 90 man roster exists only between the start of the free agent period or thereabouts and now...Tuesday after the 3rd. exhibition game.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Additional Note: I mentioned earlier that PUP guys do not count against the cap. Neither do IR guys. You have to pay them their contracted salaries, but no cap hit.

"but still count against the total 90 man roster"...as in carried over to the 90 man roster next off season provided they are not released in the interim. The 90 man roster exists only between the start of the free agent period or thereabouts and now...Tuesday after the 3rd. exhibition game.
That's nice. Generally you pay it, you cap it. Even the Practice Squad.

H

HardRightEdge

That's nice. Generally you pay it, you cap it. Even the Practice Squad.
I don't think PS counts toward the cap either except in some rare circumstance where a PS guy happens to make more than the rookie minimum. The cap is based on the top 51 cap hits which are almost always on the 53 man roster.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't think PS counts toward the cap either except in some rare circumstance where a PS guy happens to make more than the rookie minimum. The cap is based on the top 51 cap hits which are almost always on the 53 man roster.
Top 51 only applies to the preseason. According to the new CBA after the final cut down, top 51 is no longer applicable, and everything counts against your cap. Granted, the sum total of non player salaries is negligible. That does include PSers

H

HardRightEdge

Top 51 only applies to the preseason. According to the new CBA after the final cut down, top 51 is no longer applicable, and everything counts against your cap. Granted, the sum total of non player salaries is negligible. That does include PSers

I stand corrected...it does appear that PUP and IR guys count against the cap under the new CBA.

I see conflicting reports on PS...one SBNation piece from 2012 says "no", another from 2013 says "yes". Not a big deal as you say...most PS guys get something like $9,400 per game.

The PUP / IR treatment puts a different ding job on things. If we replace 8 PUP / IR players plus add 2 players to the cap figure in going from 51 to 53, and all of those replacements make only the rookie minimum of $405,000 straight cash, that's a $4 million cut into the $10 million cap space recently reported. That doesn't leave much cushion for an in-season extension or two or some grizzled emergency vets.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I stand corrected...it does appear that PUP and IR guys count against the cap under the new CBA.

I see conflicting reports on PS...one SBNation piece from 2012 says "no", another from 2013 says "yes". Not a big deal as you say...most PS guys get something like $9,400 per game.

The PUP / IR treatment puts a different ding job on things. If we replace 8 PUP / IR players plus add 2 players to the cap figure in going from 51 to 53, and all of those replacements make only the rookie minimum of $405,000 straight cash, that's a $4 million cut into the $10 million cap space recently reported. That doesn't leave much cushion for an in-season extension or two or some grizzled emergency vets.
And here they thought they were protecting veterans by making rookies cheaper. Most players left will probably come cheap anyway. The cap reveals all about a team though.

H

HardRightEdge

And here they thought they were protecting veterans by making rookies cheaper. Most players left will probably come cheap anyway. The cap reveals all about a team though.

I'm not sure what they were thinking, but the affects are as follows:

1) It makes draft picks more valuable because it makes rookies a lot cheaper...it's a 1/2 off sale (or more) compared to 2010.

2) Salary inflation is still in place for the elite players...rookie savings are flowing to the top.

3) With the salary cap peaking in 2009 at $129 million actual / $136 million adjusted compared to this year's $123 million before carryovers and adjustments, the overall player pie has shrunk.

4) Something had to give...and it's the mass of vets in the middle of the pack who are impacted...solid starters and valued reserves/role players who are not stars are going for a lot less than just a few years ago. It seemed to take GMs until this past off season to make the calculation, but there were a lot of mid-tier and aging vets going for cheaper prices in free agency than in the past. There seemed to be overlooked value in the middle ground as a consequence...particularly at safety as noted in earlier discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OK, let's get serious about this thread now !

Members online

Latest posts