Punter Sauerbrun is now a Free Agent

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
check ta check check check, check it out

sure hes a roider from a couple years back, and hes gotten a dui, and hes a pretty big **** to whoever he comes in contact with. and sure hes a punter who thinks hes some sort of star...

BUT.

the guy can punt a football through concrete. hes got a killer leg and is an absolute game changer ( if its even possible for a punter to be)

With our defense, seemingly pushing to be the number one defense in football next year. no better way to get each series started than having the team deep in their own territory. and not to mention he would bolster the special teams on run backs, cause the guy lives to lay the lumber.

People seem to think that signing a star RB or something will push us over the edge of greatness, and it may but i think a punter who is consitent, deadly accurate, and not a special teams liability is just as valuable. Just imagine how tough it would be for the bears, with rex grossman and the vikes with whatever ragtag QB they end up starting each possession on the 12 yard line. i think its a quality pick up if we can arrange it.

But Ryan isnt terrible by anymeans. and is probally way cheaper than what we could sign todd at. so i dont think we are the first in line, but i do think it would be an upgrade to a special teams in need of an upgrade.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, our special teams were not rated very highly in any areas last year so I would think there is room for improvement at virtually every position there.

Jon Ryan was ranked 9th in the NFL in gross average (44.5) and 27th in net average (35.7) last year. If we can bring in someone reasonably priced that can improve on that performance, or at the very least provide competition for Ryan so he improves his performance, I say do it.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, our special teams were not rated very highly in any areas last year so I would think there is room for improvement at virtually every position there.

Jon Ryan was ranked 9th in the NFL in gross average (44.5) and 27th in net average (35.7) last year. If we can bring in someone reasonably priced that can improve on that performance, or at the very least provide competition for Ryan so he improves his performance, I say do it.

I'm curious why there is such a dropoff from gross to net average. I wonder if that has more to do with his hangtime, number of touchbacks, or bad coverage units.

Without researching, my feeling is that the poor net is due to bad coverage units, in which case, bringing in a new punter wouldn't help. I liked Ryan and think this debate is fairly moot since Sauerbrun is likely to sign with the Broncos anyways.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

I'm curious why there is such a dropoff from gross to net average. I wonder if that has more to do with his hangtime, number of touchbacks, or bad coverage units.

Without researching, my feeling is that the poor net is due to bad coverage units, in which case, bringing in a new punter wouldn't help. I liked Ryan and think this debate is fairly moot since Sauerbrun is likely to sign with the Broncos anyways.

The reason for the difference in Ryan's averages is the fact he can punt the ball a long way but not very high (line drives). If he can correct this with an offseason of working on it and a year with no family distractions, he could turn out to be a very good NFL punter. If not, he won't even make it to the regular season as there will be at least one more punter in camp.

All that aside though, I think you're correct in that some of the blame also lays with the coaching staff and the talent on some of the special teams coverage units.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan does need to work a little on hang time which would help his net average out but that should come. I've heard that in the Canadian league there is less emphasis on hang time and more on just drilling it straight down the field so if that's the case he was adjusting last year. What needs more improvement though is definitely the coverage unit.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan kicks too many line drive punts. If he doesn't improve that, the Pack needs a different punter.

Latest posts