Punt return fair catches

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there anyone else out there who is frustrated by Chatman's fair catches inside the 10 yard line?

I thought the rule was that he was to line up on the 10 yard line and if the ball is over his head, let it go. Maybe it will carry into the end zone and maybe not.

He is constantly standing on the 10, signaling for a fair catch and then taking a step or two backwards and catching the ball at the 8. Sometimes there are defenders nearby and sometimes not. I know that he doesn't want them to down the ball on the 3 so he goes ahead and catches the ball but the ball is oblong. You could have 3-4 guys between him and the goal line and the ball still bounce into the end zone.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know what you mean. but its better than it taking a bad bounce. Besides, I think #4 can take it 90 yards...

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree wpr. Chatman does a fair catch at the 6. Why? He should clear away and let it try to go into the end zone. Now if he had a history of amazing returns , then it might be different, but we know thats not the case with him. I brought this up on the live chat yesterday and was told there were Falcons around the ball. So what? I thought the odds were better of it going in for the touchback than 1 of them downing the ball in that tight of a space. Most teams coach to let the ball go in than rather try catching punts at the 10 yard line or less, when the ball is on the "fly" still .

OP
OP
W

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehog said:
I brought this up on the live chat yesterday and was told there were Falcons around the ball.

I am not saying that every single time he makes a fair catch inside the 10 that it is the wrong decision. Because Atl was there and waiting they could have had the ball at the 2 instead. I know he wanted to give them the best field position possible. But every once in a while I would like to take a chance and let it go.
If they are on turf, like yesterday, I would like to see him let it go more often. There's a good chance that the ball will go in to the end zone.
If they are on a very soft field I understand it if thinks the ball will die as soon as it hits the ground so he catches the ball I can tolerate it a bit.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see other returners make fair catches inside the 10 as well. I believe the rule of thumb in the NFL is that you catch the ball unless it is going to land inside the five yard line. I heard of one returner who had a slightly different standard for artificial turf: the seven yard line, because the ball bounces farther on artificial turf. (I'm not sure if that applies to this new field turf, though.)

I've always questioned those fair catches inside the 10, but Chatman is just following the same rule that most of the league uses.

OP
OP
W

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then the rules have changed in the past 5 years.
It use to be that they would put their heals on the 10 yard line.
If the ball was over their head, let it go. If it was in front of them move up and catch it. They were not to take a step backwards at all. After all, if they are looking up at the ball, how will they know if they are at the 6 or the 4?
I think that punters in the past 10 years have gotten better at pooching the ball. Remember back in the 70-80's when all the kickers would try and hit the "coffin corner". They don't do it that much any more. Now I think they are trying to get it to hang up and let the cover team down the ball.
Since strategies have changed for the cover team it looks like strategies must be changing for the return team as well.

Members online

Latest posts