Pundits Finally Getting It Right!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today, at both the jsonline and Press Gazette sites, the sports media are finally wising up to the buffoonery that is Mike Sherman and Tom Rossley.

Yes, Favre has had more crap games this year than any time in memory. Yes, injuries have diminished the potential on offense. But has this staff done their best to manage what they can in the course of a game and a season? Sadly, the answer is no!

On a day when our team was facing the best defense in the league...one that makes a living off of turnovers and punishing the QB...the braintrust that is Sherman and Rossley abandoned a running game that was averaging 4.5 yards per carry and making that defense look average. Instead, they threw 58 times versus something like 26 runs. Talk about playing AWAY from your strength! Then we get to watch our QB punnished by empty backfield formations...good one fellas! While Favre threw a bonehead ball to end the half with an INT.....the reality is that that play probably should have never been made.

And really, let us not even get into the reality that Favre has been horribly mishandled the entire tenure of the Sherman regime. Once, when he was at the height of his skills and surrounded by better (uninjured) talent, Favre could and did bail this team out with regularity...so his stoopid **** was ignored by the coaches. Now, the skills are a little eroded (but still top 5 or 6) and he no longer has the talent to bail thes coaches and this team out...and the bad habits that were once overlooked are now killing us.

I will cry if Favre decides to leave after this season if Sherman is let go, but I can no longer watch this team and this QB being coached into the ground.

Comments, questions, rants....all welcome!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...I agree that they should have run more on Sunday, esp. the way Brett has been playing. However, I also don't envy MS. It's a damned if you do/don't situation for him.

Many consider putting the ball in a future hall of famer to be the best option, and grilled MS in games like the MN road game because he didn't do it enough.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Musscy..

Way to slam Brett and kiss Sherman's *** at the same time..

Brilliant!! A thing of beauty....

Sherman can do no wrong in your eyes...fantastic!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can anyone look at recent games and say Favre chucking the ball is the way to go. He has been horrible and has been put in horrible situations due to the incredible coaching acumen of MS/TR. Hey, the running game was going in high gear and they want away from it...that in and of itself says enough about these two clowns and their coaching philosophy. They are merely an accident waiting to happen, and with all the injuries, we are crashing and burning every week.

Bad coaching taking the ball away from the one thing that was working last Sunday....and a repeat of many Sundays as of late.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66.

Stop being a hypocrite. Brett could steal from the church collection plate and you'd still praise him, and you know it.

I may be a MS supporter, but at least I can be objective. I've never said MS doesn't have his faults, and, conversly, when commenting on Brett, I've always said I think he still has the physical tools to be #1, he's just not using his head.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
digs..

SherRossley's game plan is....they have no game plan....!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy, Sherman's faults are so glaring and such killers that I do not believe there is any way to defend him and the detatched Siamese twin...Tom Rossley. Remember, in addition to bad gameplans and in-game decision making, Tom Rossley was quoted as follows when asked last year why Bubba Franks was not being used.

Tom Rossley: "You know, every time we have thrown to Bubba, he does something good with the ball. I gues maybe we should give him some more opportunities."

Friggin' Brilliant!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually disagree w/ TR...I think Lee is more of an after the catch threat than Franks, but I see what you're getting at.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey...I gotta get in here. I don't want this to turn into a love fest between you two.

27 of the passes took place in the 2 minute drill at the end of the first half or the last two drives when we were trying to catch up. I'm not defending Sherman....just stating the facts. Had Favre not committed 4 turnovers we never would have been behind. The turnovers were not entirely his fault. Especially the fumbles. I am not willing to throw Sherman under the bus, but I am even more steadfast in my support for Favre.

You guys have turned this into a Favre vs. Sherman thing when it comes to the blame game. The ironic thing is that Favre has hinted that If Sherman doesn't return he will retire. This has to be gutwrenching for someone with so much love for Favre and bile for Sherman. I have a tough question for you digs and 66. If Favre came out and said "I will play 2 more years as long as Sherman is my headcoach. If Sherman goes, I will retire", would you want Sherman back? Answer honestly...no if/ands/or buts.

I know this is putting you on the spot, so to be fair, I will answer my own tough question. If Favre said he would only come back if Sherman was gone....I would say "don't let the door hit you on the *** on your way out.....MIKE". My respect for Favre and my desire to see him play another year or two trumps everything else.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not know there would be any reason FOR FAVRE to come back if MS/TR were at the helm. So, that being said, I would have to wish him the best with huge regrets. As far as I am concerned, bringing Sherman back is the equivalent to putting your truck in neutral while climbing a hill....you WILL go backwards!

Now, about Favre and Sherman. Brett is a coach's kid and an old-school "good soldier". I have NEVER seen or heard of him directing negative comments towards any player or coach on the team with regards to performance (even when richly deserved)...nor do I believe he ever will. However, his facial gestures and body language when receiving calls from the sideline indicate to me he has, to some extent, lost faith in Sherman's/Rossley's abilities to do their jobs well. In the next couple games, look for the "Oh Fu@k" grimmace, or the slumped shoulders/head slightly hung when the plays come in. I have seen this more this year than in his entire career.

If I am Thompson, I approach Favre, lay out my draft and FA strategy, and indicate that I am leaning toward a HC change. Thompson then promises that the playbook will remain for as long as Favre does, so he doesn't have to waste a year learning a brand new offense. When he decides to retire, the new HC has complete liberty to blow the whole thing up and re-write the playbook to his liking.

How does that scenarion play out with you?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs....If Favre stays...I'm all for it, but I don't see TT doing that. I think if he thinks Sherman should go, then it's time to completely rebuild without Brett. It would be an assinine thing to think because Brett is only 36 and came into camp probably in the best shape ever. Remember, until Favre retires TT will never get to see what his #1 draft pick ever can do. These guys all have huge egos and I think TT wants to show he knows how to draft.

Besides that, what kind of headcoach are you going to get if you hamstring him with a certain offense? Unless it's someone like Mooch who already runs this offense...I can't see it happening.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs: I agree with you, I have been trying to get some points that can help me root for Sherman and the only one that I have found is that he is a very nice gentleman.. Sorry but a true leader shows when he can lead inferior forces to victory, and Sherman is not that kind of leader, now he is even getting banged from the normally por-coaching media.

Maybe TT will open his eyes!!!! maybe he has already got´em wide opened!!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is there are some mighty fine coaches out there who have witnessed the mismanagement of #4 and this team and believe with a good draft, select FA's, resurrecting Favre from this pathetic offense, and quality coaching, there is a legitimate shot at the playoffs and who knows for the next several years. Talk about feeding one's ego!!

The majority of teams run the WCO, so it is merely vocabulary differences not so much the construct or philosophy of the offense that would be different.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Favre was so disgusted with Sherman and Rossley, why would he come out and say he wouldn't want to play for another Head Coach? Like I said earlier, if Favre was open to a coaching change and would analyze the situation whether to come back, I'm in favor of replacing Sherman and Rossley should have been gone by now already too...

It is interesting that Favre supports MS as much as he does though, isn't it?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
IF Favre was so disgusted with Sherman and Rossley, why would he come out and say he wouldn't want to play for another Head Coach? Like I said earlier, if Favre was open to a coaching change and would analyze the situation whether to come back, I'm in favor of replacing Sherman and Rossley should have been gone by now already too...

This is hard to explain, but Brett is like a robot. He does what he's told to his best ability and thats it. He doesn't feel its his job to say who should coach or shouldn't or what should be called or what shouldn 't be called. When Brett has been asked 'hey brett what did you think about that draw play with 42 seconds left, down by 4 points and needing 34 yards?' he's always said something to the affect of 'the coachs make the plays and call them i jus do my best to execute them'

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
NDPackerFan said:

This is hard to explain, but Brett is like a robot. He does what he's told to his best ability and thats it. He doesn't feel its his job to say who should coach or shouldn't or what should be called or what shouldn 't be called. When Brett has been asked 'hey brett what did you think about that draw play with 42 seconds left, down by 4 points and needing 34 yards?' he's always said something to the affect of 'the coachs make the plays and call them i jus do my best to execute them'

...and that just validates my point even more. If Favre is like a "robot" as you refer, then why would he care who is coaching this team? He's almost come right out and said that if Sherman would get fired, his retirement would probably follow.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett, first and foremost, is a coach's kid...and one of the few truly "old school" players left in the league. No way he does anything but support his coach in public, and probably in private except for those most trusted such as his wife and/or family.

Members online

Latest posts