PS Eligibility and Roster Cuts

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This time of year there is often confusion regarding players that are or are not eligible for the practice squad. To be on the practice squad a player must:

a) Not have been in the league for 4 years.
b) Not been on the practice squad for 2 years.
c) Not been on the 45 game day active roster for 9 or more games.

Some examples:

1) Whitticker can never be on any teams practice squad due to "c" above.

2) Coston, who was on the game day roster for 1 or 2 games last year, may not be on the 45 player game day roster much this year. He might be able to be on the practice squad next year (his third) for a team.

3) Arth, who was already cut, has spent 2 years on a practice squad already. His only chance to be in the NFL is on a 53 player roster.

By definition any player who has not obtained 4 years in the league must clear waivers to be placed on a team's practice squad. If a team claims the player they have to add him to their 53 player roster(like Leigh Torrence did last year).

So keep these factors in mind when you think about which player may or may not be invited back to be on the Packers practice squad.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Current Packers Practice Squad Eligible

Alcorn
Beach
Bigby
Boger
Bourke
Brewster
Brown
Campbell
Colledge won’t be cut
Cooper
Coston
Culver
Dendy
Francies
Gado won’t be cut
Gafford
Herron
Hodge won’t be cut
Humphrey
Hunter
Jennings won’t be cut
Lucas
Malone
Martin Ingle won’t be cut
Martin Ruvell
Modkins
Moll won’t be cut
Murphey
Nichols
Rodgers Cory
Russell
Ryan
Spitz won’t be cut
Tollefson
Traynor
Wishom
Wrobel

Of the 37 Practice Squad eligible seven are very unlikely to be cut.
Some of the eight spots will be filled by players from other teams.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Calicheez!

An interesting note that pft.com had was that once the final cuts are made from 75 to 53, some 700 players will be without work. 256 of those will get PS spots. Of all the 700 cut, only certain will be able to get signed to a PS. Interesting.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of random, but man. From run blocking fullback at Nevada to starting OG in the NFL in one season. Insane that Tony Moll is going to be the starter. Making the team would have been an accomplishment.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently he went from TE to Tackle to now guard. On a semi related note, in my madden 07 franchise, he is my 3rd string te since i cut Martin, and today he I threw him a pass for one yard.

Culver29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, you could add Culver to the "Will not be cut" list...and I'm not just saying that cause I'm a fan. Packers are already thin at safetey, he can play both saftey spots, and he has the most playing time this season so far. There's no way he'll make it past waivers to the PS either.

Unless some trade is done to bring in some safety help, I really doubt Culver will be cut.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts