Prospects of a meaningless Lions game in Week 17

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just playing around with the NFL Playoff Machine and we have a real chance of that final game not carrying any real meaning as far as HFA.

Unfortunately, we have a noon game against them in Week 17, so this would all have to take place in the next 3 weeks, but here's what needs to happen:

Packers win the next three - very doable.

Lions lose 1 game - best chance is @ Chicago in Week 16.

Seahawks lose 1 game - they play Eagles, Niners and Cards, so chances are good.

Eagles lose 1 game - best chance is one of the next two against Dallas and Seattle.

Cards lose 2 games - this is the tallest order but they're flailing a bit. They play Chiefs, Rams and Seahawks, so this is also very possible.

If all these things happen, Week 17 is pointless.

That said, even if the game ends up carrying no ramifications, I would personally rather kick the **** out of the Lions anyway for the sake of momentum.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope Pack got HFA wrapped up by that point that be awesome. Rest the players Start Matt Flynn and have him get 6TD passes against the Lions again :D

That First Round Bye would do wonders heal up for the Final Push.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately, we have a noon game against them in Week 17, so this would all have to take place in the next 3 weeks, but here's what needs to happen:

It´s possible the Packers vs. Lions game will be flexed to Sunday night.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Games with potential playoff implications in Week 17 are (in Central Daylight time):
- Lions @ Packers 12PM - Fox
- Chargers @ Chiefs 12PM - CBS
- Bills @ Patriots 12PM - CBS
- Bengals @ Steelers 12PM - CBS
- Cardinals @ 49er's 3:25PM - Fox
- Rams @ Seahawks 3:25PM - Fox

I would think, at this point, that the last 3 games would be better (playoff drama-wise) than the Lions/Packers.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be great if that is the case, because that further increases the chances of getting those needed losses from other teams before we ever step foot on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Games with potential playoff implications in Week 17 are (in Central Daylight time):
- Lions @ Packers 12PM - Fox
- Chargers @ Chiefs 12PM - CBS
- Bills @ Patriots 12PM - CBS
- Bengals @ Steelers 12PM - CBS
- Cardinals @ 49er's 3:25PM - Fox
- Rams @ Seahawks 3:25PM - Fox

I would think, at this point, that the last 3 games would be better (playoff drama-wise) than the Lions/Packers.

It all depends on if the Packers vs. Lions game will decide the NFC North champion. I don´t think any of the other games will decide a division champion (maybe I´m wrong about the Bengals vs. Steelers game though).

That would be great if that is the case, because that further increases the chances of getting those needed losses from other teams before we ever step foot on the field.

I don´t expect them to flex the game to Sunday night if the Packers have already clinched the division though.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've still got that winning streak against the Lions at Lambeau Field to maintain. What is it now, 23 years? Let's go for 30...or 40...or 50.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Pack got HFA wrapped up by that point that be awesome. Rest the players Start Matt Flynn and have him get 6TD passes against the Lions again :D

I'm all for resting guys who have legitimate injuries that they would normally play through, but I wouldn't sit all important starters all game Week 17 just for the extra time off.

With the bye week in the Wild Card round you're looking at about 3 weeks of time going by without any game action for these guys. That's just too long to interrupt their season momentum. I think we learned this in 2011-12.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for resting guys who have legitimate injuries that they would normally play through, but I wouldn't sit all important starters all game Week 17 just for the extra time off.

With the bye week in the Wild Card round you're looking at about 3 weeks of time going by without any game action for these guys. That's just too long to interrupt their season momentum. I think we learned this in 2011-12.

Last year, Rodgers missed half a season and game back without missing a beat against the Bears.

I think the momentum thing is overrated.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, Rodgers missed half a season and game back without missing a beat against the Bears.

I think the momentum thing is overrated.

Actually in his return game against the Bears he went 25 of 39 for 318, 2 TDS and 2 INTs. This is a poor game by Rodgers' standards. I realize that is mostly because of how high his standards are, and for most QBs that is a solid game, but you have to look hard to find multi - INT games by Rodgers. You can't say he was immediately back at the top of his game.

Everyone remembers the TD to Cobb but up to then it had not been his best day.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually in his return game against the Bears he went 25 of 39 for 318, 2 TDS and 2 INTs. This is a poor game by Rodgers' standards. I realize that is mostly because of how high his standards are, and for most QBs that is a solid game, but you have to look hard to find multi - INT games by Rodgers. You can't say he was immediately back at the top of his game.

While I agree with you Rodgers´ second interception in that game was Nelson´s mistake though. In addition he didn´t look like the MVP front-runner in the playoff loss to the Niners either.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wasn't the last game of 2011 against the Lions? Didn't the Pack rest a bunch of players? Didn't the playoffs start and end in the same game? :)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good points.

In 2012 though, we didn't have the bye and got beat badly as well.

In 2009, we were on a 7-1 roll and lost first round.

To me, there isn't enough evidence to say a lack of momentum is bad for us. This thread has picked out one example to draw a conclusion.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no data that shows resting vs playing is good or bad. Belichek doesn't believe in it and has never rested a starter at the end of a season. And how do you decide who to rest? The QB runs the show, but without a healthy line the show doesn't work so well. A bye rests everyone, which is fine. But I think everybody should play every game they're medically cleared to play. It's what fans pay big money for.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly hope week 17 is for the division, its the Lions for cripes sake! Another bouncing at Lambeau, another division title for the Pack.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no data that shows resting vs playing is good or bad. Belichek doesn't believe in it and has never rested a starter at the end of a season. And how do you decide who to rest? The QB runs the show, but without a healthy line the show doesn't work so well. A bye rests everyone, which is fine. But I think everybody should play every game they're medically cleared to play. It's what fans pay big money for.

I'm pretty sure Rodgers would play the first half and any starters that are banged up at all would sit.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no Sunday Night game the last week of the season. It ends the week prior.

They still have a Sunday night game in Week 17. They just don't schedule one, they flex one of the games to it that week. If our game is for the division I'd be surprised if it doesn't get the nod.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excluding the playoff considerations, this is still not a meaningless game as it is against our strongest contender within the division. I'm about keeping rhythm, and somewhere I remember reading that Rodgers regretted not playing in the 2011 Matt Flynn game because he felt that he and the team lost momentum.

As for flexing, the game could still be flexed to 3:15pm but there are a LOT of games that day between potential playoff contenders. This isn't the only shiny coin in the purse. List of other flexible games:

Chargers vs Chiefs
Bills vs Patriots
Bengals vs Steelers
Cardinals vs 49ers

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hate to be swept by the Lions, that 22 year record at Lambeau has got to keep going. Plus if the Lions don't lose anymore games and go into wk 17 at 11-4 and beat the Pack they might be the #2 seed and Lion fans will be coming out of their holes for the first time since 1993 the last time they won the division. Wk 17 though will be for the division and after Dec. 29 the Pack hopefully will be 13-3 while the Lions at 11-5.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that the Lions will lose to the Vikings, Bears, or Tampa, essentially making this a moot point. Even if they do, we could drop one somewhere as well, @ Buffalo being the most likely.

The most likely scenario is still that Week 17 is for the division.

Seahawker562

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see you guys losing another game, I think the first round is yours to lose. The one game I could see them possibly losing is at Buffalo. Call me crazy but I could see a definite trap game there making your game against Detroit more improtant... That and obviously it all depends on how the rest of the NFC contenders final 4 weeks play out

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think @Buffalo is gonna be taxing and GB will be worked over pretty good physically. Detroit will more than likely not be losing another game after getting back most of their Offense which had been sidelined for weeks. If you want the truth the whole shooting match is going to come down to the game in GB and how prepared and rested the Packers are after facing Buffalo. If Buffalo is facing a play off type game they are going to play very hard.

Members online

No members online now.