Projections of current players on roster, what is their ceiling/potential?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With FA and the draft coming up, it's always interesting to see all these draft threads and "potential" FAs as most things won't happen or are just hearsay...

Almost 8 yearsish ago on the ESPN forums I predicted TT would draft Raji and trade for Clay in the 1st round, and that's about as accurate as i've ever come to predicting what may happen LOL

But i'm curious to hear opinions on the current state of the roster:

In my opinions:

I think Lang should be resigned as he's the only "RG" fit we really have. Spriggs is most likely being groomed to replace Bulaga, I think Spriggs is better at RT honestly bc of his athleticism. And, in the unlikely event someting happens, I think Bulaga could fill in on the left side (guard or tackle) if there were an injury

Montgomery won't rush for 1500 yards anytime soon and we won't need AD, but what he DOES provide is a reliable "pass catcher" out of the backfield that we haven't had since Ahman. So that actually helps the offense in a sense

Jared Cook should definitely be resigned and he's better than Finley and won't have all the stupid things to say too, this isn't even a question.

Tretter and Hyde are both EXCELLENT "depth guys" that every team would LOVE to have as rotational/spot starter type guys... actually both of these guys might start for a few teams in the NFL. But if they're you're spot starter/rotational guys on a SB contender you're in terrific shape.

Geronimo/Janis... Here's where I think TT could get creative. I see Geronimo as basically another Jarrett Boykin as he hasn't "wowed" me yet. Janis I don't believe will ever amount to anything more than remembering what he did in the playoffs agains the Cardinals....
IF... big IF... TT wants to get creative he should SIGN Alshon Jeffrey. He would be a great fit to work the middle of the field with Cook to make match up problems.
Place him inside and have Cook, Cobb, and Jeffrey work the middle of the field with Jordy and Adams on the outside in empty sets. I think Alshon is actually BEST used this way as I don't think he's fast enough to play split wide and would make the Packers receiving core unstoppable.

Ryan/Blake... I think they are "ok" and for a SB contender they are more so your backups/rotational/spot starters. These guys don't make "impact plays" which is why I don't understand the bandwagon. Where are all the turnovers created and TFL that the great ones bring??? I feel Clay makes/made more when he was inside and was better suited for this position to pair with either Ryan/Blake... for the time being. Please stop with the "Pro Bowl" for Ryan/Blake, these guys just aren't that good honestly. Take the homer glasses off, they're "ok" and I think that Blake has the higher ceiling, but he won't be a Pro Bowl or All Pro guy anytime soon.

Perry/Peppers... Julius is pretty much done but I'd love to have him back, but he won't be at his age. Perry should defintely be back! This is his potential/ceiling, he's a good run defender who can set the edge and get you 8-10 sacks/year. I wouldn't expect him to put up Ware/Miller/Smith(in their primes) sack totals but he is a solid pash rusher who is big and stout and can also defend the run

Fackrell/FA... I think Fackrell could actually be "decent" as an outside starter, he made some plays in his limited action. I could see him being a solid run defender who can get 4-6 sacks and NOT be a liability in coverage ... The obvious "dream" scenario here is Melvin Ingram, but that won't happen

Randall/Gunter/Rollins.... This is the biggest problem. You have 3 young guys(which is good) who are more like "number 2" or "slot" cornerbacks as their ceiling. I think Randall can/will be a terrific "number 2" type of cornerback(unless he eventually moves to safety) but there is NO WAY he should ever takeaway an opponent's number one. This is the same for Gunter, who just isn't athletic enough to match up against the opposing team's number one WR. Gunter reminds me of Al Harris actually and could likely make for a good dilemna if we ever find a true number one. Rollins, in a good secondary is your 4th or 5th guy who can also play on the line, as he's good at stopping the run. I just see his ceiling as a number 3/slot type of CB and he should NEVER be asked to cover a man one on one outside or your secondary will be in trouble

NONE of the FA cornerbacks impress me. The only one worth fitting/spending for our team would be Bouye(as I watch some Texans games) as he fits what we do and is young, but he isn't really a lockdown type number one and will get VASTLY OVERPAID like one. He's more of an "ok" number one, very good number 2 type of corner

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

IF... big IF... TT wants to get creative he should SIGN Alshon Jeffrey. He would be a great fit to work the middle of the field with Cook to make match up problems.
Place him inside and have Cook, Cobb, and Jeffrey work the middle of the field with Jordy and Adams on the outside in empty sets. I think Alshon is actually BEST used this way as I don't think he's fast enough to play split wide and would make the Packers receiving core unstoppable.

Ryan/Blake... I think they are "ok" and for a SB contender they are more so your backups/rotational/spot starters. These guys don't make "impact plays" which is why I don't understand the bandwagon. Where are all the turnovers created and TFL that the great ones bring??? I feel Clay makes/made more when he was inside and was better suited for this position to pair with either Ryan/Blake... for the time being. Please stop with the "Pro Bowl" for Ryan/Blake, these guys just aren't that good honestly. Take the homer glasses off, they're "ok" and I think that Blake has the higher ceiling, but he won't be a Pro Bowl or All Pro guy anytime soon.

The Packers have already allocated a ton of cap space to the wide receiver position, therefore I really don't see Thonpson adding another one making more than $10 million a season. Especially as Adams will be a free agent after next season as well.

I don't expect Ryan or Martinez to become Pro Bowl players either but Matthews is average at best lining up inside as well. While the situation at inside linebacker isn't ideal going into free agency it's not one of the most pressing needs on defense either.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have already allocated a ton of cap space to the wide receiver position, therefore I really don't see Thonpson adding another one making more than $10 million a season. Especially as Adams will be a free agent after next season as well.

I don't expect Ryan or Martinez to become Pro Bowl players either but Matthews is average at best lining up inside as well. While the situation at inside linebacker isn't ideal going into free agency it's not one of the most pressing needs on defense either.
I'm hoping we can get a guy like Zach Cunningham for depth at the position. Do you think Joe Thomas gets brought back Captain?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm hoping we can get a guy like Zach Cunningham for depth at the position. Do you think Joe Thomas gets brought back Captain?

I expect Thomas to be back with the Packers next season. Cunningham woukd for sure be the best inside linebacker on the roster but I would prefer the team to spend its first round pick on a different position.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Thomas to be back with the Packers next season. Cunningham woukd for sure be the best inside linebacker on the roster but I would prefer the team to spend its first round pick on a different position.

I agree that he'll be back; I just don't know why. A very limited, nothing special player who can be a liability at times.
Which in Green Bay, is enough to get you something akin to tenure.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that he'll be back; I just don't know why. A very limited, nothing special player who can be a liability at times.
Which in Green Bay, is enough to get you something akin to tenure.

I guess that Thomas is an average player at best but with the Packers not having any depth at inside linebacker he's a lock to be brought back.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas is our best cover inside linebacker... so he's obviously coming back

With the Hightower release it's interesting...

I now rescind the Alshon post LOL(but this is AFTER Hightower was released).. But I still think Alshon could be valuable for the Packers in empty sets if they used Cook and him to work the middle

Hightower is your big enforcer type MIKE that can make plays and is in his prime years now.. he's probably worth whatever he commands, he would instantly make the Defense better as you could use Blake/Ryan/Thomas as the WILL and/or in coverage which Thomas and Blake are "okay" at

But Hightower isn't a guy like the others who will get you 80-100 tackles 5 YARDS PAST the line of scrimmage lol

You could keep Perry and Clay outside then, but restructure Clay...

D

Deleted member 6794

With the Hightower release it's interesting...

I now rescind the Alshon post LOL(but this is AFTER Hightower was released)..

Just to clarify, Hightower wasn't released by the Patriots but will become a free agent on March 9 if the two sides don't agree on a contract before that deadline.