Projecting the Offense

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, Gluten must have been absolutely sure Adams was staying in GB. Maybe that's a lack of communication on his part - we know that's not his strong suit. But the result is a severely depleted receiving corps, WRs and TEs, and that does fall on the GM. He's certainly made other moves that have been outstanding, and he turned the Adams situation to the teams' advantage with a first and second round pick.

I think he must be counting on Rodgers now, after writing him off two years ago. We'll see how that works.
Could be MLF told him
"Yeah I can do magic with a top 5 WR but I can also get the job done with 3 or 4 #2 & 3's."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be MLF told him
"Yeah I can do magic with a top 5 WR but I can also get the job done with 3 or 4 #2 & 3's."
Maybe, and MLF has been pretty good at game planning with injuries, so that could be the answer. Hey, as long as we get 4000 plus yards, 35-40 TDs, all should be good. I don't care as much about who catches the TDs as I do that they get the TDs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don’t underestimate what Rodgers csn do with an island of misfit toys :)

Rodgers' 2015 season should work as a cautionary tale that statement above might not be true. He ended up posting his lowest passer rating in his career after losing Nelson for the year during the preseason.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers' 2015 season should work as a cautionary tale that statement above might not be true. He ended up posting his lowest passer rating in his career after losing Nelson for the year during the preseason.
Ugh I remember that. And wasn't Nelson hurt on a non-contact play on artificial turf in the PS?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the offense might be a work in progress to start the season, but ultimately, I think they'll be fine. The only thing to really fret is injuries, which can derail any team.

The Packers possess a talented roster on both sides of the ball. Gutey has done a good job of finding talent.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the offense might be a work in progress to start the season, but ultimately, I think they'll be fine. The only thing to really fret is injuries, which can derail any team.

The Packers possess a talented roster on both sides of the ball. Gutey has done a good job of finding talent.

I fully agree that Gute has been phenomenal at stocking the defense...the offense I'm a little more leery of. The offense has two great RBs, a pretty good oline (when healthy), and one of the worst receiving/TE groups in the NFL. Lot of young potential with the receivers so I do fully expect the latter season passing game to be much better than the beginning of season passing game.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I fully agree that Gute has been phenomenal at stocking the defense...the offense I'm a little more leery of. The offense has two great RBs, a pretty good oline (when healthy), and one of the worst receiving/TE groups in the NFL. Lot of young potential with the receivers so I do fully expect the latter season passing game to be much better than the beginning of season passing game.

And the two time MVP at QB and one of the best offensive coaches in football.

Reaction score
We won a SB with 3900 yards passing and that finish was ~100 passing yards of the 2015 totals.

I like Having a great Defense and solid Special teams alongside a proficient (but not always spectacular) Offense. I like that better than having a Spectacular Offense with a lacking Defense and poor ST.

Well rounded, balanced teams, Win Championships. If I had to error I’d take an upper echelon Defense and an Aaron Rodgers led Offense with 2 Stud RB’s and a few ?? On weapons.

Reaction score
True.
I still think our potential in 2022 is more solid with these choices receiving
Sammy, Cobb, Watson, Lazard, Doubs, Amari
Big Dog, Tonyan, Deguara

VS 2015
JJ, Cobb, Adams,
Janis, Abbredaris
Quarless, Rodgers, Perillo

It’s just similar Crowd at the top, but with a much deeper WR potential in 2022. I’ve got 4 potential #2 types in 2022 vs 3 in the 2015 season.

The TE group wins a tiebreaker imo
It’s a similar look, but I’d take this years 2022 TE group over that slow 2015 group

That 2015 group was just ok+. 31TD, 8INT. 3,821 yards. I would argue that this group surpasses either 2015 category of TD’s or Yards or even possibly both.
I’ll risk a guess hypothesis:
37TD/8INT/4,010yds

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won a SB with 3900 yards passing and that finish was ~100 passing yards of the 2015 totals.

I like Having a great Defense and solid Special teams alongside a proficient (but not always spectacular) Offense. I like that better than having a Spectacular Offense with a lacking Defense and poor ST.

Well rounded, balanced teams, Win Championships. If I had to error I’d take an upper echelon Defense and an Aaron Rodgers led Offense with 2 Stud RB’s and a few ?? On weapons.

Good offenses with great defenses win titles. Well rounded isn’t really a requirement but it’s very tough to field a good offense that relies on the running game as its primary weapon. Possible of course, but the defense needs to be good enough to hold the Bucs, Rams, Bill, and Chiefs offenses to very low point totals and that’s a tall order. Relying on the run game against a defense like the Bucs is going to be a tall order.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True.
Big Dog, Tonyan, Deguara

VS 2015
JJ, Cobb, Adams,
Janis, Abbredaris

It’s just similar Crowd at the top, but with a much deeper WR potential in 2022. I’ve got 4 potential #2 types in 2022 vs 3 in the 2015 season.

It’s a similar look, but I’d take this years 2022 TE group over that slow 2015 group

That 2015 group was just ok+. 31TD, 8INT. 3,821 yards. I would argue that this group surpasses either 2015 category of TD’s or Yards or even possibly both.
37TD/8INT/4,010yds
Hmmm, without Nelson that 2015 group looks weak. Wasn't Adams drafted around that time? His first few years were underwhelming. That leaves Cobb and JJ, the rest weren't very good at all.

Clearly this 2022 group has to prove itself. But it looks to be a more talented group, especially if Tonyan gets back quickly and in good form.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, passing yards shouldn't be viewed as one of the most important metrics when evaluating an offense.

Big Dog, Tonyan, Deguara

VS 2015
JJ, Cobb, Adams,
Janis, Abbredaris

37TD/8INT/4,010yds
Hmmm, without Nelson that 2015 group looks weak. Wasn't Adams drafted around that time? His first few years were underwhelming. That leaves Cobb and JJ, the rest weren't very good at all.

Clearly this 2022 group has to prove itself. But it looks to be a more talented group, especially if Tonyan gets back quickly and in good form.

The receiving corps in 2015 had much more proven talent then the current one. Cobb was coming off a season in which he had 91 receptions for 1,287 yards and 12 TDs. James Jones had 73 reception for the Raiders in 2014 while Adams showed some promise as a rookie with two games in which he had more than 100 receiving yards (vs. New England and vs. Dallas in the playoffs) as well as heads up play on a fake spike from Rodgers to help beat the Dolphins.

The Packers don't have any proven talent like that currently on the roster.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only caveat would be that Nelson was an unexpected loss. But they know from the getgo that they don't have a #1WR at this point.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, I kind of assumed those were a given but the entire reason I don't think the offense will be one of the worst in the league is because of the QB.

In retrospect, was probably an unnecessary comment on my part.

Reaction score
The Packers don't have any proven talent like that currently on the roster.
I disagree.

Lazard in a good sample size has shown proficient. With a larger sample size I could see perform well into that WR2 role (750+). Playoff experience

Cobb is older, but if given more looks could easily surpass that lower WR2 level (750+). Playoff experience

Sammy has dealt with injuries, but has proven when on the field hes formidable. As long as he plays
10-12 of 17 games he’s an easy pick of this group to our veteran leader. There was a reason KC hired him, the only nick he has is availability, that doesn’t fit your “unproven” remark at all. He’s had multiple seasons as what I’d call a WR2+ lower WR1- area. Over 1,000 yards.
Playoff experience

Watson is a complete unknown, yes. ALL Rookies are. Yet he is one of this drafts higher prospects and he’s paired with yours truly.. #12. Every season has rookies and if paired with a great QB, they tend to perform far better. You can’t get a better scenario for Watson. He’s an unknown, but his bigger issue is recent surgery. He’s an easy projected WR3 if he’s on that field. With potential of a WR2 numbers early on. Much due to a highly unusual WR room, as you said.
College playoff champion

Captain, we are nowhere near as bad as you have us in receiving.
Is there a ?? On who will be the riser? absolutely. If you are insinuating that we will highly underperform in our receiving room compared with the league, you will be wrong this January. For a guy that touts his QB so highly, you sure seem to highly underestimate what he can do with a room full of potential.

As far yards. We don’t need yards. We need Wins. That’s all that matters. We don’t need to be a #1 Offense anymore. How had that ended recently?? Not good

We need a better formula. We need a gritty Defense, ST that can hold their own +, top with an Offense that is proficient and can shut people up and then can Run the ball well in January- February. The days of a #1 Offense. #22 Defense and #28 ST are gone. There’s a new Sheriff in Town and he’s Won more games than basically any HC in history! If you think Davante Adams was the Nucleus of 39 Wins you are greatly mistaken. You act like we are a dysfunctional franchise and you’re like a pitbull on losing Adams. There was life before Adams and how many Super Bowl Rings does he have?

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Lazard get open against a #1 cb and can Cobb beat a #2 consistently? That's doubtful. Lazard is a good #3 WR but he's an undrafted free agent for a reason. This offense reminds me of the 2015 team but the o line is much weaker. OT looks to be a weakness with Bahktiari finished. It may improve the second half of the season if Tonyan and Jenkins come back in good form but unless the defense plays like the 85 Bears, the first half of the season is going to be ugly.

Reaction score
Can Lazard get open against a #1 cb and can Cobb beat a #2 consistently? That's doubtful. Lazard is a good #3 WR but he's an undrafted free agent for a reason. This offense reminds me of the 2015 team but the o line is much weaker. OT looks to be a weakness with Bahktiari finished. It may improve the second half of the season if Tonyan and Jenkins come back in good form but unless the defense plays like the 85 Bears, the first half of the season is going to be ugly.
Ugly? Really?
Donald Driver was a 7th Round draft pick and he’s one of the most prolific Packers in our team history. Although in 2002 I might have agreed with you! ;)

We have to be the 1985 Bears or we’re doomed!
Man we’ve got some really excited fans this year! :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

My only caveat would be that Nelson was an unexpected loss. But they know from the getgo that they don't have a #1WR at this point.

While there's some truth to it the Packers had enough time before the start of the season to prepare for Nelson's loss after he was injured in a preaseason game in Pittsburgh.

Even with Rodgers coming off an MVP season at that point as well they weren't able to make up for it all season long though.

I disagree.

Lazard in a good sample size has shown proficient. With a larger sample size I could see perform well into that WR2 role (750+). Playoff experience

Cobb is older, but if given more looks could easily surpass that lower WR2 level (750+). Playoff experience

Sammy has dealt with injuries, but has proven when on the field hes formidable. As long as he plays 10-12 of 17 games he’s an easy pick of this group to our veteran leader. There was a reason KC hired him, the only nick he has is availability, that doesn’t fit your “unproven” remark at all. He’s had multiple seasons as what I’d call a WR2+ lower WR1- area. Over 1,000 yards.
Playoff experience

Watson is a complete unknown, yes. ALL Rookies are. Yet he is one of this drafts higher prospects and he’s paired with yours truly.. #12. Every season has rookies and if paired with a great QB, they tend to perform far better. You can’t get a better scenario for Watson. He’s an unknown, but his bigger issue is recent surgery. He’s an easy projected WR3 if he’s on that field. With potential of a WR2 numbers early on. Much due to a highly unusual WR room, as you said.
College playoff champion

It's a fact that the Packers don't have any receiver currently on the roster who put up numbers like Cobb and Jones in 2014.

It's possible the offense will still perform well but there's no doubt the receiving corps is a huge question mark entering the season. A bigger one that it has ever been before since Rodgers became the starter in 2008.

Captain, we are nowhere near as bad as you have us in receiving.
Is there a ?? On who will be the riser? absolutely. If you are insinuating that we will highly underperform in our receiving room compared with the league, you will be wrong this January. For a guy that touts his QB so highly, you sure seem to highly underestimate what he can do with a room full of potential.

Once again, take a look at his numbers in 2015 to at lease acknowdlege that even Rodgers can't perform at an MVP level without some talent at wide receiver.

I agree the receiving corps has potential but that doesn't automatically result in a decent performance on the field.

Let's take a look at the receiving corps of some other contenders around the league:

Bills: Diggs, Davis, Crowder
Bucs: Evans, Godwin, Jones
Chiefs: Hardman, Smith-Schuster, MVS
Rams: Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson

Considering the Chiefs have Kelce at tight end and the Bills have a talented one in Knox as well there's absolutely no way anyone should prefer having the Packers' receiving corps over any of those teams listed.

I don't care that they might have more talent than a team like the Bears at the position as they won't be a team to compete with for a Super Bowl.

If you think Davante Adams was the Nucleus of 39 Wins you are greatly mistaken. You act like we are a dysfunctional franchise and you’re like a pitbull on losing Adams. There was life before Adams and how many Super Bowl Rings does he have?

You're completely exaggerating if you truly believe I act like the Packers are a dysfunctional franchise.

With that being said, taking a look at the offensive line, wide receivers and tight ends there's definitely reason to be concerned for a Super Bowl contender.

Reaction score
It's a fact that the Packers don't have any receiver currently on the roster who put up numbers like Cobb and Jones in 2014.

It's possible the offense will still perform well but there's no doubt the receiving corps is a huge question mark entering the season. A bigger one that it has ever been before since Rodgers became the starter in 2008.

Once again, take a look at his numbers in 2015 to at lease acknowdlege that even Rodgers can't perform at an MVP level without some talent at wide receiver.

I agree the receiving corps has potential but that doesn't automatically result in a decent performance on the field.

Let's take a look at the receiving corps of some other contenders around the league:

Bills: Diggs, Davis, Crowder
Bucs: Evans, Godwin, Jones
Chiefs: Hardman, Smith-Schuster, MVS
Rams: Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson
You're completely exaggerating if you truly believe I act like the Packers are a dysfunctional franchise.

With that being said, taking a look at the offensive line, wide receivers and tight ends there's definitely reason to be concerned for a Super Bowl contender.
Ok yeah sorry Captain. I was in an exaggerating mode a little on the dysfunction label :whistling:

We haven’t even considered that GB isn’t finished adding players. They do have some Room to make a move. While understandably it’s fun to compare to past seasons like 2015, we have to consider the personnel story of 2022 is not necessarily fully written. One major example Is JJ wasn’t re-signed until September of that 2015 season.
Point being teams are in a constant search for contingency options, upgrades and the like. Your 2015 example just displays that eloquently. This Receiver room won’t necessarily mirror your projection this time next January. I’d even venture to say it’s just as likely some more changes will happen.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a long, long time before January for you to be panicking like this. I recommend 800 mg of chill daily.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Lazard get open against a #1 cb and can Cobb beat a #2 consistently? That's doubtful. Lazard is a good #3 WR but he's an undrafted free agent for a reason.

So only 3 of the 7 times Adams was out since Lazard has been a healthy role here he was inactive twice and the other time put up MASSIVE numbers.

October 28, 2021
Allen Lazard was also inactive

Sunday September 27, 2020
Allen Lazard put up 146 yards on 6 receptions and scored a TD

October 5, 2020
Lazard was also inactive

You say doubtful...which is fair but also the one time he walked onto the field as the team's bonafide #1 he put up numbers. Another time you could argue is the last game of last year in Detroit as Adams was shut down part way through. Lazard put up 5 catches for 75 yards and 2 TDs.

There is more there when the call has been placed to say he might actually be able to than not.

Reaction score

Andre Rison was a nice mid-season acquisition in the 1996 season.
That was one of the best moves in that season. He came in Catching bullets from our gunslinger.

Obviously I’d rather our current WR group duke it out and get 3-4 guys playing stout. Yet we can’t discount the mid-season addition. Last year it was Rasul and we know how that went.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugly? Really?
Donald Driver was a 7th Round draft pick and he’s one of the most prolific Packers in our team history. Although in 2002 I might have agreed with you! ;)

We have to be the 1985 Bears or we’re doomed!
Man we’ve got some really excited fans this year! :laugh::laugh:
The offense is without Bahktiari, Jenkins, Tonyan, Watson is hurt, Turner and MVS are gone. I would say that's a huge drop off in talent. I know training camp is when the Homers are at their most delusional, but once the real games start, talent matters.

Members online

Latest posts