ProFootballTalk tags Packers at #8

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Whatchatink? Too high? Too low? 'Bout right?

Recognizing it's pure speculation based on the way that last year ended ... a somewhat porous defense .... blah blah blah ... it's hard to disagree before camp even begins, but what the hey... what do you say?

Aside from the fact that it would be nice if the assclowns in the national media would find some photos besides people who look like mental deficients ...

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have thought we would come in a few notches higher. But as you said it's what some talking head(s) thinks. I'd rather be underestimated than over estimated.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to overreact to some meaningless list designed to generate clicks for PFT but I thought the Pack got a bit hosed.

The AFC blows (check the NFC v. AFC numbers from last year): outside of Denver, I don't think there's an AFC team that should clearly outrank us. NE and BAL have taken steps backward. Not buying Cincy until they accomplish something.

I only have two teams above us in the NFC and they're both in the NFC West. Atlanta? -I'm not convinced.

Feel like we're top five or six. Run game will introduce a new wrinkle, defense is trending upward. HRE probably thinks I'm being a homer.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like we got rated 8th in large part because Rodgers might get hurt. WTF!! Same thing could happen to any of the contenders. Regardless of their backups they would also be in deep doo doo. Oh well like I said who cares. :sleep:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh I couldn't care less about that list. GB as a draft and develop team will tend to be rated a little lower at the start of the season if a few players on the Defense develop they'll be much better.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fail to see how the Falcons are better than the Packers, in any way, shape, or form. No way. Right now, today, there's only three teams that I would be scared to play, in a playoff game. The Seahawks, the stupid 49ers, and the Giants.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fail to see how the Falcons are better than the Packers, in any way, shape, or form. No way. Right now, today, there's only three teams that I would be scared to play, in a playoff game. The Seahawks, the stupid 49ers, and the Giants.

Are you scared to play the giants bc of history or bc of what you see on paper right now of their team?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to point out florio hates the packers and is a die hard Vikings fan. If you want any proof of his bias look no further than his "coverage" / hit job on Rodgers with that fan with cancer.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you scared to play the giants bc of history or bc of what you see on paper right now of their team?

Good question. I'm not sure I'd say that the Giants are a far better team on paper than the Packers. But, in the last two meetings, they've clearly outplayed and outcoached us and the same can be said about the 49ers. Until we change the trend, it is what it is. Right now, both teams have our number.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio is a clown, but:

Atlanta was (this) close to beating SF and getting to the Super Bowl, and they upgraded their running game adding Steven Jackson, who was fantastic finishing the season last year and is still fresh.

For right now, I have no problem with Atlanta being ranked #1 in the NFC.
SF lost Goldson at S, and Crabtree already tore his ACL.

I can see Atlanta beating them now.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. The Falcon defense always seems to get neglected.

My perception of Atlanta is heavily influenced by the steamrolling we gave them a few years ago in the 2010 playoffs.

Sometimes it's just the match ups and I like to think we're something of a match up problem for them. Just like the Falcons might present some problems for the Niners. (The Niners, in turn, seem to give our Packers fits these days.) Match ups and dumb luck play such a big role in playoffs.

I doubt Atlanta gets by both Green Bay and Seattle in the playoffs this year (remember, the Hawks defense stole defeat from the jaws of victory after my man-crush, Russell Wilson, put them up one point with 31 seconds remaining in that playoff game last year). The NFC South should be more competitive this year, too- maybe the Dirty Birds take more attrition during the regular season competing for a playoff spot.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Atlanta as the post above indicates gets measured against 2010. I don't fear them but at the same time I think they are a very good football team. They added some more pieces during the off season and are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps my perception is also skewed by the shellacking we put on them in 2010, which was also the single greatest game played by a QB, quite possibly ever. But, from a coaching perspective, I just think that McCarthy out-coached Mike Smith so badly, that if I were a betting man, it could happen again. Atlanta's offense is better than it was in 2010, but their defense? Rodgers ain't scared of those clowns. He'd probably light them up again. I could very well eat my words here, but the Falcons get a big wave-off from me. I just don't see it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry... Maybe it's the drugs but did I just read the bengals are ranked above us? Seriously wtf. Are they now the clippers of the nfl? Terrible for so long that when they become decent they are the trendy team to pick?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with the sentiment regaridng the Falcons. We did a post following the draft ranking the NFC and I had us second, behind the 49ers. I think the Seahawks are being way overhyped just because they made a few signings - two of which will make no improvement on the defensive side of the ball since they essentially replace the loss of Clemmons. Percy is legit, though. And regarding the Falcons, here was our synopsis:

4. Atlanta Falcons - Call me when Matty Ice earns that nickname and wins more than one playoff game. A 1-4 playoff record (including two losses at home as the no. 1 seed) with a 9:7 TD-to-INT ratio and 85.2 quarterback ranking earns this power ranking. And if we want to get deeper into the analysis, the Falcons already sported a leaky secondary and now lost both Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes in free agency, leaving them with Asante Samuel (known more for his gambling ways than true coverage skills) and two rookies: Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford. In fact, this might be a little high for them considering the Giants potential re-boot and the early returns that RGIII is seeing in his rehabilitation.

Here's the link if you care to see more: http://wp.me/p29VCs-i9

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite honestly - all of these rankings and predictions, etc. are silly. No one can predict injuries to stars, teams getting on hot streaks towards the end, etc. I think it's mostly for bored media and sportswriter types, with nothing better to do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Quite honestly - all of these rankings and predictions, etc. are silly. No one can predict injuries to stars, teams getting on hot streaks towards the end, etc. I think it's mostly for bored media and sportswriter types, with nothing better to do.

And yet every forum and pro site ranks teams before teams end preseason

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I don't see much of an analysis to PFT's ranking. All they did was click off names: Woodson and Jennings are gone, so the Packers won't be as good. Well, Woodson didn't add much to the defense at all last year. By the end he looked slow. Jennings was injured or at less than 100% for most of the year. He also didn't have much of an impact on the offense.

Will the passing game regress without Jennings? I doubt it. Will the defense improve this year over last year? Quite likely. (I know that's not saying a lot) And is our running game going to be better than last year? Very likely. Our OL? That's a wait-and-see.

By contrast, the Patriots have had a brutal off-season led by everyone's fave, Aaron Hernandez. Now Dennard's a problem and Gronk is not % recovered by any stretch, and their draft was ok but nothing great . . . and they're #7? I don't see it. And Cincy at #6? They're better but that's a stretch.

I'd put GB ahead of those 2 at #6.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

95% of these threads is speculation and analysis.

Packers, I would put at #3. I would only put Denver and SF ahead of us. And I am really expecting SF to take a step back. But I will leave them at #2 because they earned it with their play last season.

Members online