1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Profootballtalk on Woodson's contract

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by SuperRat, Apr 27, 2006.

1. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    NO SIGNING BONUS FOR WOODSON

A league source tells us that cornerback Charles Woodson's contract with the Packers includes a signing bonus of . . . zero dollars, zero cents.

The reason for the team's decision not to pay Woodson has less to do with his skill and more to do with the fact that the Packers have plenty of cap room for 2006. By funding Woodson's first-year pay through a roster bonus and base salary, $10.5 million can be handed to him with no proration in future years.

As a practical matter, this makes it easier for the Packers to cut ties with Woodson in any future season, since there would be no acceleration due to the portion of the signing bonus that applies to future years.

We're also told that, although the deal is being characterized as a seven-year, $52 million arrangement, it is as a practical matter a three-year, $18 million package. Depending on Woodson's performance, he could be gone by 2007 or 2008.

Not a huge deal, but not bad for an aging, injury-prone cover man as to whom only one other team expressed serious interest.

Sounds like a good one for the Pack.

2. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Oh boy, talk about raining on a parade

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Teddy really came down with the hammer on that one.

So if we cut him, no penalty.

"We're also told that, although the deal is being characterized as a seven-year, $52 million arrangement, it is as a practical matter a three-year, $18 million package. Depending on Woodson's performance, he could be gone by 2007 or 2008."

awesome. i love it all!

4. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So he gets a "7 year, 52 million dollar contract" that consists of a 1st year of 10.5 mil and no bonus. Sound a lot like Ty Law?

Man, that Carl Poston knows how to manipulate the perception of a contract and get the rookies to sign on with him. Brilliant for the Packers, brilliant for Carl Poston. Not so brilliant for Woodson, but wtf does he care, he gets 10.5 million dollars.

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    hahaha. i am happy with the deal. if he performs his *** off, he sticks around, and if he doesn't then we dump him. great acquisition with big potential and hardly any downside. i like it.

6. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If that is actually the way the contract is written, kudos to TT! Why not have a huge number this year? We wouldn't have spent all our cap anyways. And now we can have him for 2 years after that for under $8 million or release whenever we want with no acceleration of a signing bonus? Fantastic!

See, being a tightwad isn't always a bad thing.

7. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well TT did it right..

Anyway I am worried about Woodsons helat issues,,,, I was more on Lavar´s Bandagon..

But I am requesting permision to jump on Woodson´s bandagon !!!

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    all aboard.

9. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Like many other fans, I would've much rather had Arrington. But good for Thompson, writing the contract this way. It works out well for both parties. I have a feeling Woodson is going to become a liability after a year or two anyway.

10. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It is good to see some Positive posts I like these types of Posts. "Superat" and "Tromadz" posted excellent salary cap information concerning Woodson's contract. Thanks!!

11. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    7 year 52 Mil

Terms of the Deal. This year he'll earn 10.5 Mil in bonuses and yearly salary.

Then the next 3 years the deal becomes a 3 year 18 Mil a year which is about 6 Mil a year.

If he makes a Pro Bowl he get another 3 Mil in bonuses.

I think it's a great signing. Green Bay worked the deal out much better than it looks on paper. 3 year 18 Mil is about what he's really worth. After that they can cut him or restructure the deal.

Good signing.. Ahmad Carroll was horrendous since he was drafted. Green Bay now has Harris and Woodson. No matter what people think when healthy that's a solid tandem.

12. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Who are your sources

13. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    i think it's pro bowls in 2 of his first 3 season at GB.