Problems Trading Walker ?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taken from ESPN :

"There is speculation that the deal Denver made earlier this week, swapping the latter of its first-round picks to San Francisco for extra second- and third-round choices, was completed with an eye toward the Broncos attempting to land Walker, who for a second straight year is trying to talk his way out of Green Bay. But the Walker situation is reflective of how difficult it can be, because of various complications, to complete a trade for a veteran player with just a limited time to deal with all the entanglements.

For openers, Walker missed all but one game of the 2005 season because of surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament. While his rehabilitation is said to be progressing well, Walker still isn't running full speed yet, so there are no guarantees that he will be the same player he was in 2004, when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and scored 12 touchdowns. Additionally, the four-year veteran is in the final year of his contract, so any team trading for him would want to sign him to an extension and would have only a short time to negotiate a deal that meets Walker's demands.

So even if the Packers deviate from the heretofore steadfast stance that they will not acquiesce to Walker's trade demands, completing a deal would require a lot of pieces to fall neatly into place. And, as most general managers concede, neat is generally an elusive pursuit in the NFL".

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft has the potential to be one of the most exciting in recent history as I believe we will witness a great number, relatively speaking of course, of player trades to move up or obtain picks. Given the lack of depth at the WR position, my guess is Walker's stock elevates as the draft approaches.

Let's face it, reconstructive knee surgery is not the career killer it was back in the day. In fact, the league is littered with guys who have come back and not lost anything.

Again, should be a very interesting Day 1 come Saturday.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Cant Wait People Think They Know whats going to happen and they may be right but no one really knows for sure until someone first hears.

With The 1st Pick Of The 2006 Draft The Houston Texans ( most likely 100%) Pick ......

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard GB wants multiple picks for Walker unless they get a 1st round. Apparently Denver is considering offering a 2nd and 3rd for Walker. Another report said they want to find a deal with Lelie before they make a move on Walker or try to trade Lelie to GB.

WestPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ACL's for WR's still a concern even these days.
Look for a #3 this year and if he does well with Denver, a #4 in 07 or something else along those lines.

If Ashley is part of the mix, I have watched him for 4-5 years in Denver. If he was worth more than a # 4 or #5, Shananhan wouldn't be dealing him.
He is from Hawaii, he needs to be somewhere where the weather is warm.
Don't think he is a warrior either.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent posts on this topic, as well as, excellent assessment by ESPN of how things presently stand with Javon Walker and the Packers. Right now Ted Thompson says he is not trading Walker. "Nothing is ever set in stone" but time will tell.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i'd be for a lelie/walker trade. i think he has potential. i think favre might like it too.

No way. He had 1 TD last year.. and 770 yards for 42 receptions. That's great for a rookie, but not somebody who's been in the leage for four years.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope TT doesn't trade Walker yet. The kid can catch a ball and he ran pretty well before the injury. All the kid needs to learn now is how to be a man and he needs to develop character. TT has a chance to teach this kid a lesson that will help him for the rest of his life.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
All the kid needs to learn now is how to be a man and he needs to develop character. TT has a chance to teach this kid a lesson that will help him for the rest of his life.
\

I wish you were right but I really think that this time Walker is beyond help as this is now the second time he has caused off season problems and this team he made his negative feelings about Green Bay really clear.

Just my opinion ( and I loved him ) but when things get this negative, it's time to move on in the best interest's of the team and Walker !!!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to be of the camp that said to make things as difficult as possible for Walker if he doesn't play. Unfortunately, the new CBA doesn't allow teams to punish players (a la T.O. in Philly), and as such, Walker could sit until week 10, suit up for the last 6 games (whether he plays or not) and walk away in 2007 as a FA. In this scenario, at most we would get him for 6 games where he could pull a Randy Moss and refuse to run his routes after the snap.

I now say trade him. Straight-up for Lelie if that is all you can get. It is far better to get a half-decent receiver for 2006 than get absolutely nothing for this year, and have him walk away in 2007. Keeping him will simply cause more headaches than it's worth, especially if he makes good on his threat to be a "cancer in the locker room" if he is not released.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
There is plenty the Packers can do even with the new CBA.

Some options I see (mind you I'm not a NFL staff'd person here)

• Option 1: Offer him a bonus with a creative reasoning to prevent further players doing the same. While he accepts the offer he understands based on his performance through the entire season the Packers will redo his contract and make him a top 15 paid WR in the NFL (assuming he resumes his form from 2004).

Option 2: If he refuses the offer and gives reason to believe he will retire, I'd let him. The Packers need to let the world know they will not be pushed around. This Favre (not many worthwhile people look down on the Packers for their tolerance in allowing Brett to wait, in fact most reasonable people agree with giving him the time he needs) and Walker drama coupled with the Mike McKenzie saga of years past is hurting the Packers reputation (my opinion).

Option 3: I'd let him know the Packers could franchise tag him after the year is over and the chances of the team doing so would be greatly less if he were to play the entire season rather than do what is required per contract to become a free agent. (this would require some extremely clever wording so it doesnt look like what it is, black mail)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts