Pro Football Weekly on Darren Sharper

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a nutshell, they cite DS as one of the top 15 acquisitions of this offseason. In reviewing his skills, they call him a "polished performer" who "makes his presence felt in the locker room".

Ooooooo Kaaaay.....this would be the SAME Darren Sharper who failed geometry and had no concept of what angle of attack to pursue....who puts his head down and wiffs nothing but air with regularity....and who ran from a defensive leadership role like he was in a race for his life?

Where do they come up with this stuff........are they attempting comedy these days to ease the offseason duldrums?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DS still has some skills and can be productive in the right setting, but if you're looking for a strong locker room presence, then I think I'll avoid anyone that PFW recommends

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
In a nutshell, they cite DS as one of the top 15 acquisitions of this offseason. In reviewing his skills, they call him a "polished performer" who "makes his presence felt in the locker room".

Ooooooo Kaaaay.....this would be the SAME Darren Sharper who failed geometry and had no concept of what angle of attack to pursue....who puts his head down and wiffs nothing but air with regularity....and who ran from a defensive leadership role like he was in a race for his life?

Where do they come up with this stuff........are they attempting comedy these days to ease the offseason duldrums?

Darren Sharper had absolutely no help on defense in Green Bay. Probably threw the towel in.

Sharper will improve in Minnesota with a revitalized defense and some good players around him.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure you hope he does Chase, but the fact is that Sharper sucks, has sucked for a few years, and, even in his prime, never made plays when we needed him too. He'll fit right in with the Queens.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper does still have skills....but they are diminished by the fact that he no longer has the wheels to get him where he needs to be. Oh, sure...he will come up with some INTs...he will make some plays, but too often he will be head down as a 4 yard run turns into a 40 yard scamper. This is nothing new either....as nobody should be judged by their performance under Bob Slowit and his merry band of idiots. Basically, is game has fallen off since the departure of LeRoy.

On another point....MAN...the football talking heads are really talking up the Queens. This is a team whose Super Bowl losing streak is only challenged by the consistency with which they put out psychologically fragile teams. I wonder how they handle the pressure and expectations (both four letter words in Minny) that are being placed on this team.

Should be an interesting season!!

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I'm sure you hope he does Chase, but the fact is that Sharper sucks, has sucked for a few years, and, even in his prime, never made plays when we needed him too. He'll fit right in with the Queens.

I got nothing against Darren Sharper and I wish him all the luck in the world.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This proves you're not a Packer fan Chase. Why would you wish a player now playing with your closest rival in terms of recent standings luck? I wish him continuing deteriorating play and even more missed tackles, especially on October 23, 2005 and on November 21, 2005.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to like Sharper until I read the statement which he made about the Packers not knowing what they had when they had him, and they will find out what they gave up when he plays with the Queens. He fits right in with the rest of the bragging queens.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman...glad to have you here. Your sense of humor and non-flaming ways are a very welcome addition to this place.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
Darren Sharper > then anything the Vikes had at free safety

A lot of Packer fans are ripping into him like he's Tony Mandrich or something...DS has some skills, and is an upgrade, although I'll admit he's not the Savior that's going to turn around the Vike's D.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honest question for us all:

Is Sharper better than what we currently have at safety?

I would say yes. Obviously and hopefully that will change as the season goes on.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhh...Yeah, the people who we have at saftey now are terribile. Who is our leager anyway? Carrol what is that. I wish we had Sharper.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin, seeing as how we've seen none of these guys play yet, I'd say we can't tell right now, but I am willing to say they can't be worse tacklers than Sharper was last season. That was pathetic.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've seen Roman play. Sharper was better than Roman. If Roman starts over all of these other guys what does that tell us about the comparison?

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will judge NOBODY for their performance last year under Bob Slowit and his merry band of idiots. That said, Sharper has shown a precipitous decline over the last several years. Actually, his falloff had direct correspondence to the departure of one LeRoy Butler. Look, a lot of average to above average players would look better than they truly are/were playing next to a guy the caliber of LeRoy.

Personally, I am beginning to believe Sharper has been overestimated due to this very reason.

If you are going to sit there and tell me that the DS we have been watching devolve before our eyes for the last 3 years is better than anything we currently have, I would have to say that, first, you have not been paying attention to DS the last 3 years and are only living off of memories of his glory years (which happen to have occurred when LeRoy played by his side); and, second, you have no knowledge of what the guys we have can do at this time and, therefore, we are all incapable of making these comparisons.

I will let my eyes inform me during the course of training camp and pre-season. Anything less would be premature.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper is an upgrade from what we've had. I'm hoping having the same defensive coach two years in a row might make the difference in improvment.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I will judge NOBODY for their performance last year under Bob Slowit and his merry band of idiots. That said, Sharper has shown a precipitous decline over the last several years. Actually, his falloff had direct correspondence to the departure of one LeRoy Butler. Look, a lot of average to above average players would look better than they truly are/were playing next to a guy the caliber of LeRoy.

Personally, I am beginning to believe Sharper has been overestimated due to this very reason.

If you are going to sit there and tell me that the DS we have been watching devolve before our eyes for the last 3 years is better than anything we currently have, I would have to say that, first, you have not been paying attention to DS the last 3 years and are only living off of memories of his glory years (which happen to have occurred when LeRoy played by his side); and, second, you have no knowledge of what the guys we have can do at this time and, therefore, we are all incapable of making these comparisons.

I will let my eyes inform me during the course of training camp and pre-season. Anything less would be premature.

BTW, Mark Roman the Bengal reject just isn't going to cut it.

Why don't you pray that Darren Sharper breaks his leg and his career is over? Hate is bred on Packer forums.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's unfair to paint Franz, Little, Freeman, Collins and Underwood with the brush of Roman. Roman was awful last season (though I personally don't think he was any worse than Sharper). I would note, however, that Roman was solid in preseason last year until Slowik taught him his "defense". Roman came in having a reputation as an athletic guy who was a sure tackler and he showed that in TC and in the preseason. I think Roman may surprise some people this season and, even if he doesn't, there are five other guys to play safety, all of whom have never had the benefit of Slowik's "coaching". The safety position will be better than last season, despite the loss of Sharper.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daren's best days are way behind him. He hasn't played well the last three years. After LeRoy went down and retired, and everything was on Daren's shoulders, we saw kind of player he really was. If the Vikes expect him to be a big time player they will be wrong.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or you are completely off base and delusional about the true capabilities of our secondary or our entire D for that matter. The knowledge I have is based on their past stats.

To this point none of our safeties have consistently year in and year out performed to the level of Sharper. Freeman is one that has the "potential" to perform better for us than DS did last year. Which is not saying much about our safeties. I have never disagreed with the statement that DS has been declining. In fact I agree. Its just that currently we have no one better.

I sure as hell hope they ALL step up. But I not holding my breath. HOPEFULLY Collins develops nicely in the next year or two.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chase.....did I ever wish DS ill? Nope! Did I point out what many objective fans have witnessed in his play the last several seasons? Yes.

You know, it is fine if we disagree, but what is it with you that EVERYTHING has to turn into a pissing match? If this anonymous pomposity and courage that the internet provides you fills some little hole in your soul...well, more power to you....that is pretty cheap therapy.

And as for the players...a defense is composed of the talent and the scheme they will be asked to perform within. Sometimes it is a great match, sometimes not. We cannot look only at the talent and make assumptions without seeing them as individuals and as a team performing withuin their new scheme.

Time to start pissing again, Chase! Like a friggin gnat flitting around the forum....

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
I have never disagreed with the statement that DS has been declining. In fact I agree. Its just that currently we have no one better.

All the Packers defensive backs have played like sh#t for the past 3 years. So why are people pinpointing Darren Sharper?

Sharper is gone and has another opportunity in Minnesota. Life goes on.

Good luck to Darren Sharper.

Members online

Latest posts