Pro Football Talk items

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gleaned this from Pro Football Talk by Mike Florio...I met Tim Lewis when I worked in Marinette and he was seeing a woman friend from there. Nice guy. This was a short time before his Packer career ended.

Also, Florio has a thing or two to say about Favre. This guy has some legit contacts around the league. The Farve thing he's pulling out of his heinie, but he does have a solid contact somewhere in the Packers organization...
---------------------

TIM LEWIS ON SHORT LIST FOR VIKINGS GIG

Word around the league is that Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis is on the short list of potential head coaching candidates for the Minnesota Vikings.

We know, we know. The Meathead has done well over the past six weeks, turning a pathetic 2-5 squad into an 8-5 contender.

But the stink of the first seven games remains, with the Vikings still at minus-40 in the points scored versus points allowed comparison. (The 3-10 Packers, in contrast, have scored as many points as they have allowed.)

And the stench from the team's horrendous start goes beyond the field. Owner Zygi Wilf is regarded as a man of high moral character, and the concern is that the Meathead's involvement in a Super Bowl ticket scalping scam and his ultimate authority over the team that spawned the Love Boat scandal has sealed his fate, regardless of how the team finishes.

Lewis is attracting Wilf's interest because Lewis currently works for the Giants, the team that Wilf followed for most of his life before buying the Vikings. And although we've heard some negative feedback regarding Lewis's past performance in job interviews, other folks around the league have a very high opinion of Lewis -- and some think he's destined to become a head coach in the 2006 hiring cycle.

PACK WILL SAVE $7.2 MILLION IF FAVRE FLEES

A league source tells us that the Packers will take a $2.8 million cap hit if quarterback Brett Favre is traded or released in 2006.

But letting him go, via trade or otherwise, will save $7.2 million against a cap number that otherwise will be $10 million.

We're not suggesting that the Pack plans to deal or dump Lord Favre, but how can the team not at least toy with the idea of clearing that much space by nudging a guy who has been holding the franchise hostage with his annual "Should I Stay or Should I Go" routine?

By continuing to hang around year after year, Favre is preventing (in our view) the Packers from forming the nucleus of its next generation team. So even though some of the cheese puffs might huff if the team makes the first move in moving on, it's high time to tear off the Band-Aid and get ready for the future.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You beat me to the punch net...

I know ppl will not like reading that article, but it's food for thought! 7.2 mil is a lot of money.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is an idiot. It doesn't take league sources to tell you what Favre's cap numbers are. Favre will never be "traded or released". Calling Packer fans "cheese puffs" and refering to Favre as a "band-aid" is idiotic.

This proves one thing....anyone with a keyboard and PC can start a website and call themselves a reporter. Net...I know you used to work in the industry. Are you touting this guy, or just passing on his opinion?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm...give Favre another year with some actual talen taround him to evaluate if he's worth keeping or not. It's not quite fair to dump someone who's more than capable, but has no one to surround him (other than Gado and Driver). How do you evaluate him properly in order to justify getting rid of Favre after this season? You can't.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If they "dumped" Favre..like you ask...

I would hope that he'd sign a two year deal with the Bears and take them to the SB just to shove it up TT's, Sherman's..and a few of you poster's here collective *****...

but I don't think that's going to happen..

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
If they "dumped" Favre..like you ask...

I would hope that he'd sign a two year deal with the Bears and take them to the SB just to shove it up TT's, Sherman's..and a few of you poster's here collective *****...

but I don't think that's going to happen..

Not sure if that was directed at me, but I just want to clarify that I was not suggesting we dump Favre, but rather keep him because we could not evaluate his effectiveness and skill level accurately this year.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that anyone that has posted on this thread has said they're in favor of this...net was just pointing it out. It's a different and controversial perspective, and a good topic for a forum.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you know about this site:

Unofficial Packers 2006 Cap

2006 will be Favres highest paid year but after 06 almost all of his reworked contract signing bonus will be paid off. Brett is the only guy I can think of who signed a mega deal, "highest ever" in the league, record breaker that may finish it WITHOUT being cut by the team. Bledsoe got cut. Moss when he signed his I said he would not finish his contract with Minnesota etc.

Brett helped the team a couple of times. I remember in 02 or 03 in the off season Andrew Brandt in an interview said we have to pay him and get the money out of the way to avoid a Troy Aikman cap killer finish of a career. The team achieved that in 04.

If you look at the franchise tag of Drew Brees, the Manning, Culpepper, Vick, and Alex Smith deals you have to pay a good QB the kind of money Brett is getting. David Carr and Kerry Collins are due 8 million roster bonuses in March. Collins will get cut as the Raiders will be 30 million over the cap in 2006. Kurt Warner counts over 12.5 million against the caps of Rams, Giants and Cardinals.

Brett has been an important part of getting the extra revenue from many playoff home games at lambeau which certainly brings extra revenue to the Packers and the city. He is worth it.

Diggs is the most likely cap casualty this next offseason. Ferguson costs nothing to trade. I think down the road in 2008 KGB might be a cap casualty or if age and injuries catch up to Clifton.

Ted Thompson has got most of the team salaries under control. Joe Johnson and Jamal Reynolds count this year, Sharper was not worth the 7 million he was due and makes 3 million with the Vikings, Hunt will be off the books in 07 as will the overpaid Nick Luchey. The packers would not have matched Rivera due to age and injuries, and Wahle's contract should have been reworked last year. Ted Thompson was really painted into a corner on Wahle with only 2 months and no cap room to work a deal.

The next 3 years the cap will be in good shape. 2009 and 2010 could be tight when some of these young guys are due for deals.

Without Brett the competitiveness of the Packers would have suffered. They had no games this year where they were blown out like the Vikings, 49'ers, Saints, Jets, Texans and other bottom dwellers or even the Packers of 2004.

Playing the NFC west in 06 I am optimistic that a much improved team will be much higher in the standings and a good playoff or Superbowl run in 07.
Brett Favre is a key component of those teams. Brett's skill and toughness is enough for him to play 3 more years.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pssst - don't forget the mega- deal with Peyton Manning - $99 million

No one around here likes to talk about it... at all. Skittish as all get out....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Ahem...that is...IF there is a cap in those years....

Was just going to post that...

Representatives of NFL teams were told by league officials this week that next season's salary cap is projected to fall between $92 million and $95 million per club, up from this season's $85.5 million.

Next season is the final season of the salary-cap system, under the terms of the sport's collective bargaining agreement. The 2007 season would be played without a salary cap unless the team owners and the players' union can agree to an extension of the labor deal. With the labor negotiations sputtering, NFL Players Association chief Gene Upshaw said recently he'd told players to ready for a season without a salary cap.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully they can all get their act together and come up with a cap agreement. Revenue sharing and salary cap are what keep the NFL strong as a league. Otherwise it would be a mess just like baseball. If they can't come to an agreement I would just as soon see a lockout ala hockey.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre is still the Packers franchise player. He will go out on his own terms when he evaluates his NFl QB Skills and will retire when he thinks he is no longer perform at his high standards. I would expect he will be back in '06. Everybody wants the salary Cap and free agency. jncluding the players. Of coarse the players union will use it to get more revenue from NFL. They want a cut of as much of profits of NFL teams as they can get not just a cut of the TV rights. The Packers have been building up a reserve operating fund equal to one year operating expense of the Packer operation. which I think is about $120M. As of last year I think they were at $98M. Packers think this is prudent because of revenue negotiations with NFL players union are presently at a standstill.

Members online

Latest posts