Pro Football Talk At it again

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RUMORS FLY OF TURNER TO PACKERS

We continue to hear rumors from media sources of a possible trade of Chargers running back to the Green Bay Packers.

Turner, a restricted free agent, has been tendered at the highest possible level. Signing him to an offer sheet would subject his team to the sacrifice of a first-round pick and a third-round pick in next month's draft. Earlier this week, Falcons quarterback Matt Schaub, who had carried the same restriction as Turner, was traded to the Texans.

The Packers definitely have a need at the tailback position, given the departure of Ahman Green, who like Schaub will play in 2007 for Houston. The only other running backs with experience on the roster are Vernand Morency and Noah Herron.

Turner is a highly-regarded backup to NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson. But the reality for the Chargers is that, if he plays for the team in 2007, he'll be completely unrestricted in 2008.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I really don't put much into their word but here ya go.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Teddy will jump on a deal, but I think Turner will be traded. They'll get nothing for him next season should he play for the Bolts this season. He'll be getting LT money, and the Chargers aren't going to pay 2 LTs.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Arrigo is reporting the Packers are up to something big,

my guess is one of these:

#1 Moving into position to acquire Adrian Peterson
#2 Getting Michael Turner
#3 Moving into position to acquire Calvin Johnson.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, wheter you like PFT or not, usually they're right.

When they are the first to report something that ends up happening then I'll put a lot into their word. Such as Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss.

I certainly hope this happens but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's impossible to trade up that far. We'd have to give up our entire draft picks this year and maybe even more to get in position to draft Johnson or Peterson.

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
excuse me for laughing, hahahahaha

but you are exaggerating the value vastly.
Um, check out the draft value chart. Five late 1st round picks = 1st overall pick. And yes, teams do use the draft value chart. Besides, the Saints gave up ALL their draft picks in 1999 to get Ricky Williams. The 5th overall pick.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were to trade for Washingtons #6, which is worth 1600 points,

in pure picks it would take our #16, 1000 points, our #47 430 points and our #78, 200 points. This adds up to 1630 points.

However I don't see a pure trade in picks. Throw in a player or two, fix it up. But it would definitely not take all of our picks and more.

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why trade with Washington? It's highly unlikely that Johnson and Peterson drop that far. Johnson will probably the 1st ovr pick and Peterson could go to Cleveland at #3.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No offense to you, but just out of curiosity, when was the last time Joe Arrigo was right about something?

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OregonPackFan said:

No offense to you, but just out of curiosity, when was the last time Joe Arrigo was right about something?

I've been predicting a move like this before Arrigo mentioned it, him mentioning it just makes me a little more certain something is going on together with the report from PFT.

Joebediah

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed that PFT doesn't usually say any original speculation these days. They're mainly acting as an aggregate for all the rumors that other people are reporting. Note how they say media sources, unlike "talking to league insiders." This past week it seemed like Adam Schefter was doing their work for them.

Whatever, hope this happens though.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, wheter you like PFT or not, usually they're right.

I can not understand why anyone would NOT like Pro Football Talk.

Some may find it a rag, and some may look at it as the bible.

I find it an interesting read, especially in the off season. I look forward every morning to devouring it with my morning along with my orange juice and the rising sun.

By The Way... If it was not for someone here on Packer Forum I would never have known the site existed. I can not remember who it was, but thank you.

RP

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could have been me, RP, since I say "Find me a source that isn't PFT" once a week :lol:

Florio > Arrigo

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrigo is just trying to start some buzz. If nothing happens he can easily just say the Packers were trying to move up in the Draft or trade for Randy Moss and that's what he meant by "big"

Washington would be an ideal team to trade with. They have one more pick in this years draft and that‘s it. They‘d be desperate for my picks. I think Peterson falls unless the Lions or Browns trade down. Right now I see Russell, Thomas, Quinn, Johnson, and Adams in that order going in the Draft. Or course that can change very fast especially if the Lions go with Quinn. If the Pack wanted to make a move then Washington would be it as Atlanta I think could consider Peterson if he's there and Landry is not. Just my two cents though.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of an update. This isn’t from Pro Football Talk or anything. I don't know how legit this is so don't get your hopes up to much.

The trade would be the Packers send their 1st round pick and 3rd round pick to the Chargers for Turner, their 1st round pick, and 3rd round pick.

This would allow San Diego to move up 14 spots in round 1 and 3. I also would assume the Chargers would get a 3rd or a day 2 pick in next years draft too.

A.J. Smith is a business man so I could see Turner dealt. I'm just not sure the Packers are the team to get a deal done. I hope so though.

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OregonPackFan said:

Off the top of my head

The firing of Sherman

The Hiring of McCarthy

The Packers inetrest in Arrignton, the money in the deal and WHY he didn't sign w/ G.B.

The Packers inetrest in Vinetiari, and why he didn't sign.

The Packers signing and intrest in Woodson.

The Packers drafting Colledge and Blackmon (in the correct rounds 2 weeks before the draft).

The Packers signing of Walker.

The Archuleta deal.

Need more?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could have been me, RP, since I say "Find me a source that isn't PFT" once a week :lol:

Florio > Arrigo

Damn... It was.

I remember now....

The reason I remember it is becuase I thought I got the site from a poster who worked for a radio station. K.M.A.C.

Yep! And that was only about 6 months ago....

Before that I did not know the site was there.

It is a good read.

Yep I remember now, and thank you for the site.

R.P.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive got a question about the tendering system. do the players who are being tendered have to sign a contract for another year to be tendered or are they forced to play for that team once a team tenders them and they dont get to choose whether or not they get to test free agency that year?

Reaction score
Alright guys, lets not start discussing if Arrigo is correct or not. Arrigo posts stuff, and already takes a lot of heat for it; if you think his stuff has merit than you can speculate on it, otherwise if you think it is baseless reporting you can ignore it. :)

Reaction score
ive got a question about the tendering system. do the players who are being tendered have to sign a contract for another year to be tendered or are they forced to play for that team once a team tenders them and they dont get to choose whether or not they get to test free agency that year?

Being tendered basically means the team gets to hold onto the rights of the player. So by extending a tender, the player becomes property of the NFL team.

Now the tender has a money value, and when the player signs the tender, they are entitled to earn all of that money. The tender is like a one year contract, the player signs and he is now contractually obligated to play for the team.

The player can refuse to sign the tender. If the player does not sign the tender, he does not have to play a single game for that team, instead he can sit out. The only problem is that the rights of the player still belong to the team that tendered him, so his ability to sign with a different team is limited.

Being extended a tender one season means you cannot receive a tender next year (this rule does not apply to the franchise tag/transition tag).

So while Turner is a restricted free agent this year (IE he was tendered), he cannot be tendered again next year (so he will be an unrestricted free agent).

Keep in mind though, that the Chargers can still slap the franchise/transition tag on Turner next season to keep his rights. The franchise tag isn't likely to be slapped because it'd cost the Chargers too much; they are going to have to pay Turner the average of the top 5 salaries of NFL RBs.

Transition tag is much more likely to be used by the Chargers next year, the only problem is that if Turner signs a contract with another team, the Chargers receive no compensation (IE draft picks) in return for loosing Turner.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted values his draft choices too much. I don't see this happening.
And writers write.......it's the off season, and they have to come up with something. So, like us, they speculate. They might get 10% of what they write correct, and then most people forget about how many times they were wrong. It's kind of like fortune telling. You will remember the "hits" and forget the misses.

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Teddy will jump on a deal, but I think Turner will be traded. They'll get nothing for him next season should he play for the Bolts this season. He'll be getting LT money, and the Chargers aren't going to pay 2 LTs.
Then we will get a 3rd round comp pick for him which is higher than we got him in the draft.
I wouldnt call that getting nothing.

Here is something for you to look at. Enjoy:

Some Turner Highlites

Members online

Latest posts