Pro Football Focus ranks Packers O-Line #7 overall in final rankings

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a element of the girlfriend who thinks she can change her bad boy boyfriend in that assessment. Slip-slide-escape-go playground has been a hallmark of Rodgers magic when the offensive has been magical. You cannot love it when it works and then hate it when it doesn't.
Can we hate it when it gets his neck broken?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that way he can make lemonade out of lemons and go 8-8.

I find the idea of pidgeon holing Rodgers in a Philly-like offense designed to disguise Foles notable deficiencies a bit absurd.

I'll tell you this much: Go out and stack two drafts like New Orleans or Indy and you'll be amazed how the punditry will proclaim there was nothing wrong with Rodgers after all.

As for age, I would count on Rodgers to trim off a little of this and a little of that on his own if you put the players on the field who allow for it. And frankly, he's been more than willing to do that already if you want to play 2-high safeties with slow linebackers. Conversely, if Mahomes goes playground and throws a couple of picks (his modus operandi more or less), the punditry will point to a lack of maturity and control. And they will be wrong with respect to the control.

The refusal to accept the level of dysfunction at the other 21 positions and special teams, digging holes to get out of, and generally exposing themselves as a not very good football team as having an affect on the QB's performance is a clear case of denial. That can certainly be attributed to some degree to the rash of injuries and inexperience at quite a few positions. But that does not change the fact the guys on the field were not very good.

i'm not saying model the O after phi. i'm saying a more conventional west coast offense would be more efficient. remember the 49'ers? passes to the backs, te's, slants, outs. they only went deep if the opportunity presented itself. they didn't force it like we do. they prioritized moving the chains. a lot of what phi did yesterday was because of who they were playing.
yes the draft is very important and things can change quickly. the tune about Rodgers will change if he stops missing throws, taking sacks (due to holding the ball), and becomes more efficient.
yes the talent level isn't great and no one is ignoring the fact that it could be better.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way I give this O-Line that rating over the course of the season.

How might PFF have gotten to that rating?
  • Take the 2 tackles' and the center's grades without regard for missed snaps
  • Wow, that's a very high grade for those 3 positions
  • Take the 2 best OGs pass pro grades without regard for missed snaps
  • OK, that's not very good but not the worst
  • Avergage out those 5 best grades, not accounting for missed snaps
  • Voila, 7th ranked
I'm quite convinced that if one graded the O-Line group on the field for every snap you won't get close to that 7th. ranked grade. There were many snaps this season with a weak link or two that proved costly.
i'm sure a time clock is heavily involved in calculating their grades, holding their blocks, pressures/sacks allowed in that time threshold. we give the o-line the eyeball test when that's not a fair way to judge. Rodgers isn't taking advantage of the time he's given a lot of the time. he's ignoring open guys for the slow developing big plays.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, most here are ready to cut Bulaga. :rolleyes:

I get the fact that he has been injured more than you want to see, but who replaces him and then who replaces THAT guy and so on.

Been saying it for years, Packers just need better depth on the OL and for 2019 a better RG.

Injuries happen and if you are having to sub in untested UDFA's to cover for starters, something isn't right.

I don't think too many people dispute the fact that when healthy he is a very good tackle. Most people want him gone because he can't be counted on to be available and he makes too much money for the time he is. That's why I am for keeping him around. It would be different if his play were really slipping and he was injured all the time. Who know lightning could strike once and he plays the entire year. Replacing 3 starters on the OLine in one year is tough to do. Focus on replacing your starting guards and get some experienced depth behind them. Well, I guess its pretty easy to replace 3 starters actually but to replace them with players that can do the job that's a bit tougher.

Another thing I hated with the Packers is it always seemed that their top backup for one OL position was the starter at another. One guy goes down and you can't just replace him with the next guy you have to shift a starter from somewhere else. Now you have to replace him and you have 2 backups playing. I think that is what happens when you are too young on the line with your backups they don't have enough experience at multiple positions. IMO your top backup should be competent enough to step in at any position (guard and tackle for sure if not center which has its own special set of abilities) even if you have to pay him a bit more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we have to keep 1 of 2, I'd keep Bulaga over Perry any day. At least I know Bulaga will battle to be out there and has given a lot of his body to this team. I don't think I could count on him for a full 16, but I can't count on Perry to be there for 3 and those 3 will be limited due to an offseason injury it seems.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has got to be looked upon as good news. Love to see them add some depth/youth.

Reaction score
I just pray this article doesn’t mask the need to invest in protecting our QB. We can call them #1 rated all we want but it doesn’t change the fact that Rodgers is still getting smothered too often. We are long overdue at building up this Offense. 60% of the 2019 draft resources need to be spent on Offense were long, long overdue.

If we go D with pick #12? We need to inject the Offense with the next 2 picks to follow it up if at all possible. The only exception is if we pick up several quality Veteran FA’s beforehand.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts