Primetime games?

Scout200

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What NFL teams usually have the most primetime games? Also, what's the deciding factor for those teams to get those primetime spots on television??

-Scout

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I believe its random, but once the schedule is made, then the league switches games they deem are "not prime time" appropriate. Again, I believe they don't mess with who's-playing-who, just the time of the game.

Things that would determine who gets priority:
1.) Rivalries (in devision, In conference, conference battle)
2.) Teams that played well last season (early in season) / are playing well this season (later in season)
3.) fan base (Cowboys/Patriots)
4.) Team's image

Just some things I believe they take into concideration. Mostly they are rivalry games. And usually teams that are doing well, or did well (see: Thursday's Saints v Vikings rematch or last year's Steelers V Titans Opener).

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
5.) Possible playoff contention (hence the possibility of the flex scheduling)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a limit as to how many prime time games a team can play, and not every team gets one.

Popularity is often a factor, which is why the Cowboys, Steelers and Packers get a fair amount each year, more than most. Good teams like Baltimore, Saints, even the Chargers tend to get one, maybe two a season.

Then there's talent. No one wants to watch a dog, so the Patriots and Colts get a decent amount as well. Notice how teams like the Chiefs, Browns, Vikings and Lions get very few prime time slots.

Key division rivalries are always good for prime time, so those are taken into consideration. As is longevity.

More info: Winning record, team longevity, prime-time games influence NFL TV ratings

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboys. Why? God knows. It's not because of fanbase, because according to recent polls, we're the #2 fanbase (yes, behind them) and that doesn't reflect on our primetime spotlight.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Cowboys. Why? God knows. It's not because of fanbase, because according to recent polls, we're the #2 fanbase (yes, behind them) and that doesn't reflect on our primetime spotlight.
Is that true? #2? Kinda sweet! Ive looked for similar stats but never found anything concrete.....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that true? #2? Kinda sweet! Ive looked for similar stats but never found anything concrete.....
Yeah.
If there's a list out there that can be posted showing all the teams rankings for fan bases, would love to see it.
Wonder where the Viqueens rank. (Well, they and there fans are rank.)
:viksux:

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I think we were like the #3 largest fanbase in the United States, behind the Yankees and then the Cowboys. I saw it on a list somewhere probably close to a year or two ago... no idea where it is, sorry.