1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Prevent defense??? Why????!!!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by IronMan, Nov 26, 2006.

1. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Why do coaches do this?? I'm watching the Rams/49ers game. The 49ers shut down the Rams all day, then on the last drive they just let them march right down the field, 10 yards at a time and score.

Now I couldnt have cared less who won this game, but it just dumbfounds me why coaches use this defense. It NEVER works.

2. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Prevent Defence prevents you from winning. I've always wondered too. I can see it if the other team needs a td but if they only need a FG I can't agree with it

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    The Giants did the same thing against the Titans today. Shut them down for 3 quarters, then go soft in the 4th, and just let them march up and down the field. When will coaches ever learn??

4. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they do it because it guards against the big big big play. It's more out of fear than of good strategy. I agree it's a dumb strat to use and frankly I'd just cloud 3-4 defenders and send the rest after the QB.

5. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    The only time it should be used is if its the last play of the game, and the other team has a long way to go to score. Not when your up by 21 in the 4th quarter. You play the defense that shut them out for 3 quarters.

6. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Trust me I'm not arguing with you on that point. I don't understand it, either.

7. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    my dad & i have talked about this for YEARS!! neither one of us has ever come up with a valid reason for doing it. don't give up the big play but settle for the small ones that effectively do the same thing?!? makes perfect sense, right?!? ;)