Press Gazette: Sherman gets extension

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monday 8/22 P-G:

Mike Sherman is on the verge of signing a contract extension to remain as coach of the Green Bay Packers through the 2007 season, sources familiar with the situation said Sunday.

Sherman and General Manager Ted Thompson agreed to parameters for the two-year extension late last week and are waiting for their representatives to finish the details and language of the deal. Barring any unexpected hitches, Sherman will soon sign the contract.

Sherman is in his sixth season as Packers coach and in the last year of his current contract, which he signed in 2001.

At the time, team President Bob Harlan had just expanded Sherman

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes But I will wait at least until november... but who knows I am not TT and I dont get paid to be him !!! Best Luck Packers !!! :twisted:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be a good move to resign him. He has taken us to the Playoffs every year. It is just that every year so far Favre has had a bad game which probably cost us our playoffs, with the acception of the 4th & 26. Which you could blame Sherman for.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame 4th and 26 on Sherman....it was Ed Donatell's call at the time...and everyone's hero....Darren Sharper and Jue....both now gone...who blew the coverage(along with Barnett).

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net,

get your facts straight...Donnatell called a blitz...and your hero, Sherman over-rode him....

another one of him many f***-ups...

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It still was up to the players to cover him...regardless of coverage called...and they weren't going to leave Mitchell uncovered...

So the players blew it...are those facts you can live with? Probably not.

By the way Pack.......here's some more facts you should enjoy...

Also from the P-G...
---
By Mike Vandermause
PackersNews.com

The two-year contract extension Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman is poised to sign will give him the chance to move up the ranks on several all-time franchise lists.

Sherman became the second-fastest head coach in team history to reach 50 career victories. He did it in his 78th game. Only Vince Lombardi, who reached 50 wins in 66 games, reached the milestone faster.

Sherman

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66.....this has to be your own personal "9/11".

Looks like you were wrong all along.....imagine that. Chase got off easy. He must have seen it coming so he chose to get tossed off this site rather than wear the proverbial egg on the face. It looks good on you though :oops: :lol:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
net,

get your facts straight...Donnatell called a blitz...and your hero, Sherman over-rode him....

another one of him many f***-ups...

I have no problem if you disliking MS, in fact, even I was hoping TT wouldn't sign him just yet, but this one-sided hatred of yours is a bit much.

You look for every negative result the Packers have had since MS has been here, analyze it only through hindsight, and then assume that MS is exclusively to blame.

Example, the 4th and 26...Sharper and Barnett were known to be out of position on that play...MS' fault?!? Besides, calling a blitz vs. dropping back is really a horse-a-piece call when you don't have the aide of hindsight. You blitz, yeah, maybe you get to McNabb, but what if you don't, you've screwed yourself over when you have basically 1-1 w/ 4 wrs going deep. I'm positive that if MS' let the blitz go through, and the Pack got burned on it, you'd have been pissing and moaning about that too.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I don't blame 4th and 26 on Sherman....it was Ed Donatell's call at the time...and everyone's hero....Darren Sharper and Jue....both now gone...who blew the coverage(along with Barnett).
I'm with you here, net - but let us not forget the miraculous call by Rossley which gave the Eagles that one chance they'd been waiting for... and that was to blitz Favre on a passing play... Packers had been using Ahman Green all day long and causing ruin to the Fleagles on almost every play... then that pass play by rossley and bam... blitzkrieg on Favre and bingo an INT. That play should have never been called... and pending he doesn't do so (?) - there's no chance of 4th & 26 coming into reality.... JMHO

Also - I would add that Donatell had to puppet strings on Sharper or Jue - he was an audience member for that fiasco by those two SuperStars of the NFL - who were, as always, late for lunch... Donatell proved himself the very next year at Atlanta... it was the players on that play WHO BLEW IT (my thinking is on-purpose, but that's just me....).

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see TT wait until after 4-5 reg season games. I've lost a lot of faith in Sherman but if TT thinks he is the man so be it.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a moot point now, Traxx, but I agree...I would have prefered it if TT waited a bit.

I guess I'm not sure about MS...I think he did an adequate job as GM, just not great, and I'm feeling that way about him as a coach too. He's certainly done a good job, but does he have "it"...that extra something that could get this team over the hump? Does "it" even exist w/ coaches? I don't know, but hey, that's why I'm not payed to be the GM.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this ---- I really wasn't ready to see Fritz Shurmur.. er, I mean Jim Bates... suddenly become the HC. I think we need to let the man settle in for a couple of seasons, then make the switch. Who else would we get to become that caliber of DC?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you like TT and not MS then you have to be perplexed by this move. Granted there may be a buy out clause in the contract extension but...TT must like what he see's, something that most of cannot see, player interactions, involvements and management of the position coaches. I will never forget that 4th and 26. We were destined to go to the SB and had all the momentum in the world. That was a rare opportunity squandered. 4th and 26 was due to Barnett biting on a TE, taking him out of the picture and Sharper standing behind, yes behind the first down line. Jue almost made the play but it wasn't his fault. I wish we had a do over!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
If you like TT and not MS then you have to be perplexed by this move. Granted there may be a buy out clause in the contract extension but...TT must like what he see's, something that most of cannot see, player interactions, involvements and management of the position coaches. I will never forget that 4th and 26. We were destined to go to the SB and had all the momentum in the world. That was a rare opportunity squandered. 4th and 26 was due to Barnett biting on a TE, taking him out of the picture and Sharper standing behind, yes behind the first down line. Jue almost made the play but it wasn't his fault. I wish we had a do over!

4th and 26 was only one of any of a dozen plays that if players stepped up that game turns into a Packer victory.

But woulda, coulda, and shoulda have no place in the NFL.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
net said:

Donatell called a blitz, Sherman changed the play. Sharper was never my 'hero'. The blame I don't believe can be on any one single person. The team lost, not Donatell, not Sherman, not anyone person. I however do disagree on the punting it with less than I think two minutes at fourth and one. I think with Davenport and Green in there a play action bootleg pass would have gotten us a first down very easily perhaps more.

No matter how great ANY play is it is useless if the players do not execute and that is what lost the Eagles game for us, lack of execution.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Bruce was trying to get some of us to look at the bright side of things instead of always pinpointing all the negatives.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bruce said:

"You are clearly too ignorant to see that you contradict yourself. You ***** about him going for it on the one hand and you ***** about him not going for it on the other. "

And you clearly do not know what the hell you are talking about....

In FOOTBALL...(because this is the game they are playing)...it is important to know.., "WHEN TO GO FOR IT...AND WHEN NOT TO..." Apparently, You and Mike Sherman can't seem to grasp this concept.....
(For instance..you NEVER leave points off the scoreboard...like Sherman did against the eagles....you kick the FG and take the 3 pts...that could have been the game right there....and it's a no brainer as far as a coaching decision...all coaches know this...except your illustrious Sherman!)

Bruce also stated,

"I know that you think you know more than Ron Wolf and T. T., but I am surprised that you think you know more than Brett Favre.

Ron Wolf hired Mike, Thompson is rehiring him and Brett credits Sherman for why he is still playing."

Brucey boy...Ron Wolf hired him because he had relatively NO..or little NFL experience...and would not eclipse him, in terms of bringing the Packers to greatness....

TT may be just covering his ***....so that he can fire him at the end of the season...

Brett Favre is a coach's son and not political...so he will never say anything against a coach--at least publicly.....also Sherman has been kissing Brett's *** for 5 years..so why wouldn't he like him?

Bruce...you have alot to learn....

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bruce said:

"You are clearly too ignorant to see that you contradict yourself. You ***** about him going for it on the one hand and you ***** about him not going for it on the other. "

And you clearly do not know what the hell you are talking about....

In FOOTBALL...(because this is the game they are playing)...it is important to know.., "WHEN TO GO FOR IT...AND WHEN NOT TO..." Apparently, You and Mike Sherman can't seem to grasp this concept.....

Bruce also stated,

"I know that you think you know more than Ron Wolf and T. T., but I am surprised that you think you know more than Brett Favre.

Ron Wolf hired Mike, Thompson is rehiring him and Brett credits Sherman for why he is still playing."

Brucey boy...Ron Wolf hired him because he had relatively NO..or little NFL experience...and would not eclipse him, in terms of bringing the Packers to greatness....

Brett Favre is a coach's son and not political...so he will never say anything against a coach--at least publicly.....also Sherman has been kissing Brett's *** for 5 years..so why wouldn't he like him?

Bruce...you have alot to learn....

Chase: you are too much.

"TT may be just covering his ***....so that he can fire him at the end of the season..."

If he wanted to fire him, all he needed to do was not sign him to an extention. Even a fool like you must know that paying $3.2 million a season to fire a coach when you are already off the hook is illogical. OF course Illogic is the name of your New Jersey game now isn't it.

Grow up son. I certainly don't need someone as ignorant as you telling me what I need to learn about a game I had great success in. But keep deluding yourself -- you will any way.

Ryan: 66 is chase, Do you really think the New Jersey thing is a fluke? and how about the way he is obsessed with this issue? And his Brucey boy line is classic chase -- in my years posting in forums he is the only one to use that reference. He attacks net, digs, depack ...

I give him his due in being a good actor (with a diffuse personality disorder have you) but this guy is chase. His profane tirades in the News Chonicle discussion forums (non-packer) were the final straw in convincing me years ago. Too much similarity in the obsessive, tantrum pattern and in his spam tirades he would go off on.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like it or not, the head coach is responsible for the play of his team. 4th and 26 or any number of plays in that game or others comes down to whether the coach has the players to execute his calls. Mike Sherman as a GM has been absolutely lousy. All you have to do is look at the defensive back and linemen he's drafted and you can see that his shortfall is assessing talent. The problem for him as a coach has been that when you get to the playoffs you have your team ready to play. He hasn't been able to do that. Someone mentioned that the mystic of Lambeau is gone. I agree with that assessment. However, I also say, look at the talent on the Packers team and you have to admit there isn't much there, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The fact that he paid Joe Johnson, Kabeer and Hunt all that money and then couldn't keep his guards is another of his brilliant mistakes. It's one thing to let an all-pro type player get away, but to let two get away without anyone waiting in the wings to take their place is simply blunerous. Then look at the defensive linemen hes drafted and you can say that if he could hit on just one of them, you could say he's at least been adequate.

Would I have signed him to an extention? No not at this time. I would have wanted to see what he can do with this team without being a GM. If he can coach this mess that he has created, then I would resign him then.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since sherman isn't GM anymore, he can focus on being the coach, and look at his numbers (granted, #4 is responsible for a lot of that), he has done well.

Reaction score
66, you have stated 4th and 26. And you blame MS for not going on 4th and 1. Might I ask you to recall the fact that the week before, vs the Seahawks, MS went on 4th and 1, and was very lucky to come away with a fresh set of downs. He learned his mistake, and if Green had fumbled, you would be bashing him non stop for not punting. And you attack net, depack, digs, bruce... all of whom are respected and "tell it like it is" posters. As i said before, who on earth would TT hire to replace MS? Bates? Even YOU of all people can agree it is best to have Bates focus on getting only the D up to par and respectibility. MS is humble, and Favre said it himself. MS doesn't kiss Favre's ***, but treats him with the respect that Brett has earned. He treats all players like that, and also other individuals. And 66, don't forget to mention this... MS has installed a scoreboard in order to better prepare his players AND HIMSELF in game situations. How many other coaches would do that? MS knows that the 4th quarter is a time for no mental mistakes, and he is doing his best to make sure they don't happen. I must admit, I am surprised you have managed to last this long on this forum. on NC you used to ***** and moan about the Pack being doomed, and here you do the same. Learn to see the glass as half full, not half empty, and you too may one day gain some respect from other posters on this forum.

House, you must also look to the positives of having MS as GM. He made mistakes, but he also got Barnett and Walker to name a few. Does the bad out weigh the good? It depends on how you look at things. But now with MS's focus on coaching 100%, we should see a better Pack.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and if we don't see a better Pack, this year (all about da packers) what then?

will there be a new round of excuses?

Sherman's a nice guy...He goes to church every Sunday...He doesn't kick his dog (as far as we know)..etc..etc....

(I've been waiting for a better Pack since this guy has gotten here...and I haven't seen it..in terms of results---moving to the next level...being a force in the NFL, CONSISTANCY, etc.)

Maybe y'all just want a lovefest here for the Packers and Mike Sherman...but I call it the way I see it...because I want to see the Packers return to greatness....worthy of the Old Man...

Sherman has his year.....and He DAMN WELL better PRODUCE or he should be sent packing.....(no pun intended!)

(and if I should be kicked off this forum for stating my opinion then I feel sorry for you--that's not the America I grew up in!)

(and no matter how much Bruce in his paranoia wants every poster from NJ to be Chase....it just AIN'T TRUE!)

Members online

Latest posts