President Holmgren?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I've been busier than a ********* in a boys locker room the last few days, but a co-worker told me they were talking about the interview Harlan gave Holmgren when he was in town for the pre-season game.

Anyone know anything about this? Confirm or deny?

I doubt it, but who knows.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren is GM material but should not be considered as being qualified to be a CEO.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's a bit of a rumor. They brought it up on the TCR after the Seattle game.

The President's job is easier than the GM's actually. All you have to do is smile, talk, and attend meetings. I would like for Holmgrem to take that role on. He'd represent the team well in my opinion.

That's if he wants to leave coaching.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren couldn't wait to get out of Green Bay. He's a west coast guy. He'll never come back to Green Bay. Thank God!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren is GM material but should not be considered as being qualified to be a CEO.

Holmgren as a GM could not even understand T.T.'s spread sheet, and he only can dream of having the plan for perfection that T.T. was born with.

It will be on a moon-less dark night at 3: AM in the morning when the City of Green Bay changes the street signs from "Holmgren Way" to "Ted Thompson Drive"

I will be there.... I will have dinner at "Brett Favres Steak House" I will hang around with some of the old timers.... Then I will take my daughter over to the Aaron Rodgers Bar And Grill so she can hang around with the younger Packer Fans who are celebrating the Packers 5th Superbowl.

I will sit back and smile. The memories of Brett will fill my mind.

Then I shall look at the young kids wearing their #12 Jerseys and walk back out onto Ted Thompson Drive to get some fresh air.

It will be special.

The Old R.P.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be incredibly surprised if Holmgren came back. I'm still angry with him for the last superbowl. What he did do was bring back expectations to Green Bay. He held players accountable. He could coach too. He was a genius at that time of his career. He was never comfortable in Green Bay however, and that still eats at me. While preparing his team for the last superbowl, he was also preparing himself to get out of town in hurry. It almost felt like he couldn't wait to leave here. I can't imagine a scenario, including being president of the Packers that would bring him back here. He kind of stuck his nose up in the air at the rich history and tradition of the Packers. Perhaps he just didn't understand at that time of his life, but I'm not sure I want someone running the organization who was once to flippant to it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be incredibly surprised if Holmgren came back. I'm still angry with him for the last superbowl. What he did do was bring back expectations to Green Bay. He held players accountable. He could coach too. He was a genius at that time of his career. He was never comfortable in Green Bay however, and that still eats at me. While preparing his team for the last superbowl, he was also preparing himself to get out of town in hurry. It almost felt like he couldn't wait to leave here. I can't imagine a scenario, including being president of the Packers that would bring him back here. He kind of stuck his nose up in the air at the rich history and tradition of the Packers. Perhaps he just didn't understand at that time of his life, but I'm not sure I want someone running the organization who was once to flippant to it.
It surprised me when i heard some of the players say that Holmgren cost the Packers the victory in SB 32. The team kept yelling at Holmgren to run the ball, as the Broncos couldn't stop the run, but Holmgren wouldn't listen to anyone. I saw one of the players on TV a few months ago talking about how he still was mad about it. (I don't remember who the player was)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Holmgren as a GM could not even understand T.T.'s spread sheet, and he only can dream of having the plan for perfection that T.T. was born with.

It will be on a moon-less dark night at 3: AM in the morning when the City of Green Bay changes the street signs from "Holmgren Way" to "Ted Thompson Drive"

I will be there.... I will have dinner at "Brett Favres Steak House" I will hang around with some of the old timers.... Then I will take my daughter over to the Aaron Rodgers Bar And Grill so she can hang around with the younger Packer Fans who are celebrating the Packers 5th Superbowl.

Then I shall look at the young kids wearing their #12 Jerseys and walk back out onto Ted Thompson Drive to get some fresh air.

It will be special.

The Old R.P.
Oh! And the walk down "Cletidus Hunt Parkway".........(which leads into a dead end back alley, where you will be robbed)
And "T.J. Rubley memorial sewer". (Or, "How to flush your career down the toilet in just ONE play!")
Where you can buy items like the "Ahmad Carroll long reach grabber" for grabbing things on high shelves.
And the "Donald Driver toaster" guarenteed to burn ANYTHING you throw into it! (Darren Sharper must be purchased seperately!)

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he can keep out of the sports management part, I doubt he can, so no I don't want him in Green Bay.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
It surprised me when i heard some of the players say that Holmgren cost the Packers the victory in SB 32. The team kept yelling at Holmgren to run the ball, as the Broncos couldn't stop the run, but Holmgren wouldn't listen to anyone. I saw one of the players on TV a few months ago talking about how he still was mad about it. (I don't remember who the player was)

I've also heard Andy Reid is willing to spill some dirt on what happened but only once everyone involved has retired. I'm not surprised though that players would be angry about it, for some of them it was the biggest game of their life (especially if they weren't there for 31) and their head coach was so worried about his next job he couldn't even keep track of the downs. I never want to see the man in any way involved in the Packers organization again.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

It will be special.

The Old R.P.

RP, why no love for Holmgren?

All he did is win in Green Bay (and now Seattle), which uh, by the way, if you haven't noticed, uh Ted Thompson hasn't accomplished yet. :lol:

Although I hope that situation turns around this year.

"But if you want to crown 'em, then go ahead and crown 'em", I guess.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

It will be special.

The Old R.P.
back on the sauce again I see. Mike Holmgren has the "IT" factor. People like him, and he would make a great President.
I find your post to be quite HILARIOUS
TT could win 5 SB himself, and it would never change what Mike accomplished. Why do you want to get rid of the past all the time? What does the word TRADITION & RESPECT mean to you?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
vegOmatic said:

It will be special.

The Old R.P.

RP, why no love for Holmgren?

All he did is win in Green Bay (and now Seattle), which uh, by the way, if you haven't noticed, uh Ted Thompson hasn't accomplished yet. :lol:

Although I hope that situation turns around this year.

"But if you want to crown 'em, then go ahead and crown 'em", I guess.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I do not understand RP either. take down this, forget about that, dude is completly clueless.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren can stay where he is, as far as I'm concerned.

I respect him as a coach, but have several issues with him:

1) The infamous Superbowl-leaving-for-Seattle business. It distracted from the team's accomplishments and was the first hint of Holmgren's ego being a little larger than was previously known.

2) Holmgren's "legacy" - he coached well, and he helped to develop Favre, but Favre is also a natural talent and a franchise player any team in the NFL would have dreamed about. Did Holmgren win that (one) Superbowl, or did Favre? Did Holmgren make the Pack an NFC force in just a couple of years, or did Favre? You make the call. Favre did thrive in the West Coast offense, but chances are he would have thrived anywhere.

3) Holmgren's demands in Seattle. Just one more of the "I want total control" superego coaches. He demanded to be coach and GM until Seattle was so sick of him, they were about to run him out of town. He had to concede the GM position in order to keep his job three or four years ago. Since then, things really turned around for Seattle, obviously, but giving Holmgren total control at the outset really exposed him for not being the football genius he projected.

4) speaking of being run out of town, his hard line with several Seattle players never sat well with me, and he sent Joey Galloway packing and really hurt his career. Galloway had been one of Seattle's superstars (of which they had very few at the time) and if I recall, was trying to renegotiate and Holmgren very publicly did not budge an inch, exerted his "power" and Galloway sat until he was forced to go elsewhere. Not cool, at least my impression of it. He also got rid of Ahman Green - much to our pleasure, subsequently.

I don't dislike Holmgren and he has come a long way towards being more concilliatory, and diminishing his ego a bit. But it took several hard seasons in Seattle to get to that point. Looking at them now, it's easy to forget they really struggled for the first several years he was there.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imagine that... Dh and Fuzz somehow turned a Holmgren thread into a TT thread.

about holmgren though... i think the loss in 32 and the dirt Andy Reid has and the players beef with the Walrus is this....

(conspiracy theory alert)
Holmgren threw the Super Bowl.
Holmgren was promised a higher paying job elsewhere, IF he made it so John Elway could go out on top with a Super Bowl ring. Think about how much that legendary story has made the NFL. Just by having success stories and dream endings has given the NFL the lore and legend we all think of today. Think about some of the crazy plays called in SB32 by Holmgren... it always seemed fishy that Green Bay (clearly the class of the NFL for those 3-4 years only won that one Super Bowl.

Andy Reid knows it.
The players sensed it.
Brett Favre knows it. (it would be especially fishy if he won the superbowl this year)
Packnic knows it.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gee imagine that, Packnic casting aspersions and not even getting it right.

The least you can do is get it right, Packnic.

I was responding to RP on why he was so down on Holmgren to the point of suggesting ripping down his street in Green Bay and putting up a TT sign.

I was also responding to RP suggesting that that may be a bit premature.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imagine that... Dh and Fuzz somehow turned a Holmgren thread into a TT thread.

about holmgren though... i think the loss in 32 and the dirt Andy Reid has and the players beef with the Walrus is this....

(conspiracy theory alert)
Holmgren threw the Super Bowl.
Holmgren was promised a higher paying job elsewhere, IF he made it so John Elway could go out on top with a Super Bowl ring. Think about how much that legendary story has made the NFL. Just by having success stories and dream endings has given the NFL the lore and legend we all think of today. Think about some of the crazy plays called in SB32 by Holmgren... it always seemed fishy that Green Bay (clearly the class of the NFL for those 3-4 years only won that one Super Bowl.

Andy Reid knows it.
The players sensed it.
Brett Favre knows it. (it would be especially fishy if he won the superbowl this year)
Packnic knows it.
HOLY SMOKE

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if maybe RP was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with the street sign remark. Actually, I'm having a difficult time with several posts on this board in terms of filtering for sarcasm. Then again, I've never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Scotty that Holmgren had an ego problem and should have just left well enought alone. Any coach would have given their left nut to be HC in Green Bay and he walks because he wants player personnel control.

What's more idiotic is the Packers end up giving that same control Holmgren wanted to the next HC who was ultimately worse at playing GM than he was.

I said this in jest last year but it was all Wolf's fault for not retiring earlier leaving the door open for Holmgren.

At least we would have ultimately salvaged a HC that could get us to the SB out of the deal even if he sucked at GM.

With Sherman we couldn't get to the SB with great teams or get good players.

The double whammy.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Scotty that Holmgren had an ego problem and should have just left well enought alone. Any coach would have given their left nut to be HC in Green Bay and he walks because he wants player personnel control.

What's more idiotic is the Packers end up giving that same control Holmgren wanted to the next HC who was ultimately worse at playing GM than he was.

I said this in jest last year but it was all Wolf's fault for not retiring earlier leaving the door open for Holmgren.

At least we would have ultimately salvaged a HC that could get us to the SB out of the deal even if he sucked at GM.

The double whammy.

Let me ask you something:
I don't know what you do for a living, but...........
If someone came to you and said, I will pay you 5 times your salary, give you complete control, and oh yeah, I have unlimited sums of money to be the best in the world,
What would you do? stay where you are?
or sieze the oppurtunity of a lifetime, to accomplish all your dreams, and be the man in charge.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

The double whammy.

Let me ask you something:
I don't know what you do for a living, but...........
If someone came to you and said, I will pay you 5 times your salary, give you complete control, and oh yeah, I have unlimited sums of money to be the best in the world,
What would you do? stay where you are?
or sieze the oppurtunity of a lifetime, to accomplish all your dreams, and be the man in charge.

Ask Mike. He left an almost certain SB run for his "dream" of GM and total control that turned into a run of mediocrity. It took many years before finally getting to where he could have been many years earlier in GB.

And once he finally got there he had lost all of the other stuff he coveted that caused him to leave GB in the first place.

Sometimes you need to be careful what you ask for. It might have been a "dream" but it wasn't one that came true.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I hope for the love of the Packers than Holmy isn't being considered for the job. Mike is alot of things, but can you see him being polical enough to walk this club through the red tape the entails the Presidency of the Green Bay Packers.

I can't... you have to play both sides of the agenda.. Mike is too direct in my opinion.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't fault Holmgren for his choice. He left when his stock couldn't be higher. He asked for the world from Seattle and he got it. If he had stayed in GB, and they somehow had an off-year (unlikely, but maybe he had nightmares of Favre going down with injury or something), he commanding value probably would have plummeted. I guess though, like most Packers fans, it's the circumstances surrounding his departure (the superbowl, etc.) that leave me uncomfortable.

But what warhawk pointed out is true: Be careful what you wish for. If having "total control" was his dream, perhaps it was a misguided one. His only dream should have been winning another Superbowl. He obviously was not as effective as he should have been managing GM, recruiting, and coaching duties for Seattle.

THe result was that in 2002, he was almost run out on a rail. Seriously. I was following the Seattle press at the time and almost every writer and many fans were talking about what a bust he was. They had an overall losing record, the worst defense in the NFL, and it didn't help that he had dumped Ahman Green, Joey Galloway, and Phillip Daniels (but to be fair, he did score a coup with Shaun Alexander).

But cooler heads prevailed on both sides. Seattle offered to let him stay if he stepped aside as GM. Holmgren swallowed his pride and did it. Since then, things have mostly moved along swimmingly for Seattle.

I'm happy for Holmgren and glad he achieved a course-correction. But I'm focused on the Packers now, and I think Holmgren's past mistakes definitely bring him down a couple of notches in terms of being a dream candidate for any front office or GM position.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts