1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

presents for parents

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by longtimefan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Those that have HIGH SCHOOL aged kids..

For Christmas, did these kids get you anything?

Reason I am asking is that my 3 step daughters, ages 11, 15 and 17 didnt get ANYTHING for their mom..Their mom is wonderful and does so much for them every day..

Example she recently blew out her back so bad, she couldnt go to bathroom with out help ( walking to it)..Middle daughter asked to go to Kohls for boots on Christmas eve day..My wife agreed even though she could hardly sit..

Last year I took them out and bought what ever they wanted to get their mom..This year oldest one is driving and figured they would go out and at least get some cheap perfume..But nothing

After Christmas these girls each got almost $200 in cash and I asked what were they going to get for their mom..they said didnt plan on it. One had already spent ALL her money

so I came up with an idea of a spa hour, would cost the 3 and me about 20$ each...

One said no, she will get her buffalo wild wing dinner? and other 2 have not replied yet, and seem to not care...

So got me thinking, is this normal?

when I was their age my folks got presents, even to this day some 30 years later they still have a clock I gave them when I was 16

BTW

My kids got me nothing, but I expect it from them..

• Like Like x 2
  2. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Yeah, when I was a kid I didn't get my parents anything for christmas and birthday.

But the habits are different in Brazil. Plus I didn't earn any allowance when I was a kid, and, quite frankly, I was a spoiled brat... But neither did any of my cousins for that matter...

Actually, thinking of it, when I was really young, I think up to 12 or so, I used to make things for my parents in school, and even at home, cards and sometimes breakfast and such...

Yeah, thinking of it, if I had a kid of my own, I'd get pretty pissed if he didn't give me anything. Not any monetary gift, but a handmade card or such.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    hmm... yeah they sound ungrateful.

you should think of a way to get it through to them that this isnt a one way street. Maybe announce your not exchanging gifts anymore since its only a one way street.

Stuff like this makes me mad. It sounds like she needs to be tougher on them.

4. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Funny you say that...After we got serious and moved in together and had wedding plans, friends of hers along with family all said the kids controlled her..

We have had lot of issues, but they are good kids..dont run the streets, have curfews they follow..

Just wish they would respect their mom more and actually be appreciative of her...

So thats why I was wondering if forgetting/or not wanting to get their mom a xmas present is normal for those ages

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    No. Not at all. Sometimes parents can be impossible to shop for but at least the effort is appreciated.

6. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    My brother (17) got my mom a few things, some pajamas and cooking stuff. I'm 26, so I don't count, but I got her an $80 spa/massage package.

7. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Im 19 and bought my mum and step dad some wine :)

They seemed happy lol :)

8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I always got my parents gifts for Christmas and Birthdays, when I had the money to do so. Always, always, always.

9. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    I've ALWAYS bought my Mum and Auntie Xmas and birthday presents, always. Even if I had very little money, I would still get them something.

10. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    As soon as I had money to buy any Christmas presents, I got them for my parents.

11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Two of the girls got something, one hasnt yet

12. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    My 3 kids (24,21,&19) got my wife and I gifts.

They have been working before they were 14, have the utmost respect for elders, volunteer, do service trips and are all involved with the University of Iowa's Dance Marathon. Last year the 3 of them along with 2400 of their closest friends raised 1.1 MILLION for the University of Iowa hospitals & clinics to battle childhood cancer.

Am I bragging, yea, probably. We raised our kids to have respect for themselves & others, work for what you get and be thankful for the freedoms you have. My Dad was a drill instructor (DI) after he came back from Korea in '53, and stressed upon us direction & discipline. IMHO kids still need it and crave it.

Ok, I'll step down from my soapbox now....

13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    ^^^

You should be proud

14. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I am very proud, so it is like Christmas to me everyday.

15. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    When Clint Eastwood starred in "Gran Torino", I left the movie theater shaking my head. My wife said quote "Your Dad could have played that character, and he would not have even had to act..."

Following is my favorite scene from the movie, my Dad as I remember him...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0]YouTube - Gran Torino - Get Off My Lawn _HD[/ame]

16. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    I never bought my parents Christmas presents or B-day presents as a teenager. They knew I didn't have any money. Now that I'm older I get them some nice presents. So yeah, I thinks it's kind of normal.