Preseason

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you see the preseason as(a way to get starters ready or just a way to get rookies some reps)?

Do you take it seriuosly(because I've seen teams go 0-4 in preseason and win their divison)?

Do you think it is too long?

I just want some answers.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pre season games give veterans a chance to get their timing down for the regualar season. They probably don't require no more than two or three pre season games to accomplish this. The modern NFL players now have minicamps, OTA's and off season work outs in Green Bay. In the olden days, there were only Training camp sessions. Therefore, the modern player doesn't need as many pre season games as past NFL players.

However, 4 pre season games benefit the rookies and first year players the most. They get a chance to show their talents to the coaching staff, and perhaps make the final roster. A team like Green Bay made up of many rookies and first year players probably does not mind 4 pre season games. Especially gives the Packer inexperience offensive line, a chance to work together during a four game pre season schedule .

It is also profitable for NFL teams to have 4 pre season game schedule, because the NFL requires their members to charge regular ticket prices for pre season games and I think just about all NFL teams requires their season ticket holders to buy the pre season ticket package to get the regular season ticket package. The NFL teams pay their players a small weekly salary during training camp.

In the past , there has been talk about extending the regular NFL season to 18 games with a 2 pre season game schedule. I think the present set up in NFL. will be around for a while. The Players Union and NFL management would have to agree to any changes. That is always a problem!!

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:p Yep! Money is the name of the game and with four pre-season games that the teams are not required to pay the players for they make substantial income. Think the game is at its max now! More games and it will, like baseball, and many fans would lose interest. Not in GB, of course.
Think the sports seasons for all the sports are getting too long.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be one of the few that puts some stock in the preseason and the scores. The veteran teams use preseason to fine tune things and gear up for the season. The Packers are trying to fill all sorts of holes in their lineup. The last two seasons I was so disappointed in how we prepared for pre season games and I think it carried over into the season. I think winning is important because it sets a whole different tone for how you feel about yourself.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, they should only have two preseason games.

In the first place, the starters aren't playing all out anyway because they're mostly trying to stay healthy for the regular season. And they're also not running many of the plays they'll play in the regular season because they don't want to tip off their opponents as to what they're going to do when the real games start.

And as to the backups I'm guessing that, with one or two exceptions, the coaches pretty much already know who the 53 players on the final roster are going to be and who they'll try and get on the practice squad.

So all in all, about all the extra games accomplish is bringing in some extra bucks for the home team and getting some players needlessly injured.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. 2 preseason games would be great.

I also agree that many teams only run their basic stuff, and not stuff they would use in key situations in the game, so its impossible to judge.

I think its important for the rookies and younger players, to get prepared for the NFL game speed some more, and know....the regular season is weeks away so step it up.

Also for jobs. You can only practice so much, but how does a guy do in game situations. If you have 2 guys battling for one position, and both do the same (good or bad) in practice, game situation is the ultimate tie breaker.

preseason is also overblown for those who look at stats\scores.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts