Premiere event prohibits Packers' Jackson from practice

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
This is the biggest bunch of hogwash the players union has thrown out... Banned from practice...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2873643

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: May 17, 2007, 2:05 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Brandon Jackson felt on top of the world when the Packers made him a second-round pick on draft day.
The Nebraska running back immediately had a chance of competing for an NFL starting job. As a first-day drafted skilled offensive player, he received an invitation to participate in this weekend's Premiere event in Los Angeles when the top selected skilled players have photo card shoots, endorsements and television exposure. To make it even better, the weekend comes attached with a $12,000 check.

Jackson's good fortune, however, has turned into a nightmare. The Premiere event was scheduled during the Packers mini-camp, a camp in which Brett Favre changed his mind and decided to come. Jackson was looking forward to trying to show his quarterback the Packers backfield problems would be in good shape with his selection. At 4 p.m. Thursday, though, a team official told him he would be banned from the Packers facility for the weekend.

The Players Association and the Management Council ruled Jackson had to attend the Premiere event and couldn't practice with his teammates.

"I'm being held out against my will," Jackson said Thursday. "I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They are locking me out against my will."

Once Jackson received the invitation, he sensed a problem. He knew the shoot conflicted with his Packers schedule. Through his agent, Gary Wichard, Jackson notified the league of the conflict and informed them he wanted to attend the minicamp. He showed up this week and started to work on training and learning the playbook.

Reports of Favre's possible attendance in the minicamp encouraged him even more.

"I feel like I need to learn the plays so I can come back and try to win a starting job in the fall," Jackson said. "I've only had four or five practices with the veterans. But my agent told me the collective bargaining agreement couldn't let me go to the minicamp."

Jackson's time commitment in Los Angeles will be from Thursday night through Sunday. He's worried his new teammates might not understand his absence.

"I don't want them to think I'm some kind of a prima donna," Jackson said. "I want to show them I want to work and get a feel for the game. I'm real disappointed. I want to be in camp."

Reaction score
WTF?

Premiere for what? This has got be the stupidest rule I've seen lately... having your NFL player miss FOOTBALL ACTIVITIES to have some shoot?

Can't McCarthy challenge this or something?

Great attitude by Jackson. I guess the only positive is that Jackson basically has an almost zero chance of getting injured.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I guess the only positive is that Jackson basically has an almost zero chance of getting injured.

LOL.... watch some camera light or something fall on him now...

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose the NFL figures to get some more revenues into their coffers. To them, that would be more important than a rookie getting practice with his new team. What CRAP!! Forced labor is what I call it. I doubt that TT/MM will try to fight it. They know where the power is concentrated. The other Packer players will understand now that Jackson has appealed his case publically. Still, he's losing 3 important days of practice.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Here is the link to the event... corporate sponsors (football cards) are driving it.... to me this looks like poor planning on the Packers part to have mini camp scheduled on this date... rookies invited MUST attend.

http://www.nflplayers.com/events/rookie_premiere.aspx

Beginning Thursday, May 17, 30 of the top NFL Draft picks will gather in Los Angeles for the Reebok NFL Players Rookie Premiere presented by EA SPORTS and produced by PLAYERS INC.

As part of the four-day outing, rookies will wear their official team jerseys for the first time and participate in a series of photo shoots at the Los Angeles Coliseum for trading card companies Donruss Playoff, Topps and Upper Deck. In the past, rookies have also visited local hobby shops, participated in media appearances and hosted a kids’ clinic during their four days in Los Angeles.

The week’s activities will be filmed for a one-hour television special, produced by PLAYERS INC and The NFL Network. The show will air repeatedly on the NFL Network starting in July.

In its 11th year, the Reebok NFL Players Rookie Premiere is an official event of PLAYERS INC.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they would let guys like Harris and Woodson take his place instead. It's not like they'd be missing anything they plan on doing during that time.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why he can sit at home and do nothing but can't practice at minicamp. What the hell are they trying to accomplish with this?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think he's gonna do great. i don't watch a lot of college ball, but i am a nebraska fan and have seen him kick *** on quite a few occasions.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't had a back that can catch the ball this well since Edgar in his prime, and I honestly don't remember having a RB this shifty before. I'm psyched, I just wish he could go to the damn camp.

Reaction score
I'm just pumped about his cutback ability. This guy makes it look so damn natural, cutback and just go.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited for a rookie in a long while. With Ted's success in 2nd round picks coming in and contributing early, I'm expecting him to produce even more.

If I can get his jersey, I'm so doing it.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, since there is no way that they will allow him to go to the minicamp, this is a good chance for him to make himself look good in MM's eyes by saying how badly he wants to play. Hope he is not a good actor.

Anyway, if he does not go to the shoot, how would we be able to get his rookie cards?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why doesn't the NFL schedule this thing betwen the draft and the start of mini camps?
I'm sure the Packer rooks aren't the only ones affected by this happy horsepucky.

I'm not saying I agree with this, but from what I've read its bad planning on the Packers part. I would think they are made aware of the required appearances of rookies before they set their camp times. I don't know though.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes and going to this event means he'll have his proper photo on Madden not some generic generated face.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There appears to be only one other team which has a mini camp this weekend. This rule also effects the '06 Super Bowl winner Indy Colts . Colts premiere receiver Tony Gonzalez can not attend the Colts mini camp this weekend, he also has to attend Premiere Event in LA

Source of Information: An article called "NFL commitment keeps Jackson out of mini camp" by Pete Dougherty in the Friday, May 18, 2007 Press-Gazette and packersnews.com

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why he can sit at home and do nothing but can't practice at minicamp. What the hell are they trying to accomplish with this?

It's fairly obvious that the NFL did what they could to basically make the only logical choice be attend the photo shoot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts