Predicting the '08 draft [merged with other draft threads]

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predicting the '08 draft

Yes I like Aqib Talib he could be a good pick however I also like this Leodis McKelvin from Troy he could be a nice pickup at corner too.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Predicting the '08 draft

Yes I like Aqib Talib he could be a good pick however I also like this Leodis McKelvin from Troy he could be a nice pickup at corner too.

Something about the way everyone's buzzing on this kid tells me he'll be one of the first two CB's taken by the time draft day rolls around.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3 options

1) we draft cb or another pos Sean Lee, OLB, Penn State could be a choice

2) we trade our pick for say maybe 2 2end round picks or even trading up for a better pick?

3) there is another option we pick a Cb in F.a hes a list of a few
Asante Samuel
Domonique Foxworth
and my person fav Randall Gay this guy inderstands the bump and run and is a great nickel CB
Or a OLB
Demorrio Williams
Lance briggs

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack Ikegwuono

Hopefully we'll trade out of the first round, this draft is so deep in CBs and OL.

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack Ikegwuono

Personally I think there will be better CB's available at the end of round 1, but if he were there when we picked late in round 2 I'd say yes.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack Ikegwuono

With the way the Badger D played this year, I don't want to touch him. I know it wasn't all his fault, but every game I watched burned my eyes defensively.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Jack Ikegwuono

Hopefully we'll trade out of the first round, this draft is so deep in CBs and OL.

That's good to know (about the draft being deep in CBs and OL). I know nothing about college, but I'd say our top 2 needs are CBs and OL. After that, we could use a TE, and someone to challenge Poppinga for his spot.

We're deep in WR. I don't want to see a WR drafted. I think we're fine in RB too. Jackson will be a very good 2nd. Wynn if he stays healthy is talented too.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack Ikegwuono

I think we need a DE as well, to take some of the load off Kampman.

kiddikkarus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack Ikegwuono

Hello, first post.

Unfortunately, Jack Ikegwuono had a bad knee injury today, and won't be able to play in 2008. That is the risk of coming out early. I hope he can go back to college and finish up his degree.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Jack Ikegwuono

Hello, first post.

Unfortunately, Jack Ikegwuono had a bad knee injury today, and won't be able to play in 2008. That is the risk of coming out early. I hope he can go back to college and finish up his degree.
Welcome to the forum. :beer:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack Ikegwuono

Nope.

If he's convicted I wouldn't draft him with my 7th. He might not even be ready for training camp.

That's what I read at least.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:
Found a nice mock-up here, and this guy's site was pretty thorough last year, so you should check it out.

He's got us taking a CB, and I like it. Aqib Talib, to be exact. I'd paste his breakdown of the pick, but evidently his site won't allow cut/copy. :shrug:

Here is what it says:

REGGIE SMITH
DB | Oklahoma

Al Harris and Charles Woodson are one of the better starting cornerback combos in the league but to say the Packers have little or no depth behind them would be an understatement. Enter Reggie Smith, who played safety earlier in his college career before recently moving to corner in '07 and he could project to either position at the next level. A physical cover guy with great range and playmaking ability, Smith would provide a major upgrade in the nickel while being groomed for an eventual starting gig. In fact with things still unsettled at safety he could also contribute there as well.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:
Found a nice mock-up here, and this guy's site was pretty thorough last year, so you should check it out.

He's got us taking a CB, and I like it. Aqib Talib, to be exact. I'd paste his breakdown of the pick, but evidently his site won't allow cut/copy. :shrug:

Here is what it says:

REGGIE SMITH
DB | Oklahoma

Al Harris and Charles Woodson are one of the better starting cornerback combos in the league but to say the Packers have little or no depth behind them would be an understatement. Enter Reggie Smith, who played safety earlier in his college career before recently moving to corner in '07 and he could project to either position at the next level. A physical cover guy with great range and playmaking ability, Smith would provide a major upgrade in the nickel while being groomed for an eventual starting gig. In fact with things still unsettled at safety he could also contribute there as well.

We could use someone who can play either position. I'd prefer to have DB depth, and a solid 3rd CB is absolutely necessary for playing top tier teams nowadays.

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predicting the '08 draft

I think Talib is a little raw and won't be ready for the NFL next year. If we do draft him, he'll mostly be a return man, but he could blossom into a al harris type Cb.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predicting the '08 draft

Bump.

I'd love to see more people's ideas on what our needs are.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Round 1 - CB - Aqib Talib? Leodis McKelvin? Reggie Smith?
Round 2 - OG - Eric Young? Robert Felton?
Round 3 - RB - Mike Hart? Allen Patrick? Justin Forsett?
Round 4 - OT - Chris Williams? Chad Rhinehart? King Dunlap?
Round 5 - TE - Brad Cottam?
Round 6 - Traded for Grant (Right?)
Round 7 - Best Available

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predicting the '08 draft

Chris Williams in round 4? I think he'll go mid to late round 2. Real nice player in my opinion.

McKelvin, Talib or Cason would be my top 3 choices at CB after Jenkins. I think McKelvin and Talib are probably taken by then so hopefully Cason falls down to the Pack. If not then you have to look at offensive line depth. Gosder Cherlius from Boston College is a little inconsistent but his upside is high in my opinion. Fred Davis the TE from USC might be a good replacement if the Packers want to part with Bubba Franks. Davis could cause match up problem for a lot of defenses. 6'4" 252 and runs about a 4.50 in the 40 yard dash. Can be split outside and a nice red zone target. Him and Lee could make a nice combo.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some mock drafts ...

Green Bay Packers: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

Green Bay Packers: Reggie Smith, DB Oklahoma

Green Bay Packers - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

Green Bay Packers - Leodis McKelvin, CB Troy

Green Bay - Reggie Smith DB Oklahoma

The Pick: Sam Baker, OT, Southern Cal

CB Tracey Porter, Indiana

Packers: Aqib Talib, (JR), CB, Kansas

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State

Rashard Mendenhall RB, IL

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Chris Williams in round 4? I think he'll go mid to late round 2. Real nice player in my opinion.

Yes, I thought of that to, but you never know when someone is going to slip (cough cough "Brady Quinn" cough cough) or possibly take a tackle in the 2nd and a guard in the fourth.

I like Chad Rhinehart from Northern Iowa he is a pretty good blocker, and Dunlap has great size (6"8, 312 lbs)

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predicting the '08 draft

I think we need a dominant O-lineman. Regardless of the position. One dominant O-lineman changes the personality of the whole line. LT or a guard. A guy who never needs help, a guy you can run behind and get that 3rd & 1 every time. An Orlando Pace, a Jonathan Ogden, Tony Boselli, Larry Allen, etc. A guy like that. I think it would mean more to our offense than any receiver or running back would.

I havent kept up on the college players much but if there a guy like that available in the draft, i'd like to see us try and trade our picks to jump up and scoop him.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score

de_real_deal said:
I think we need a dominant O-lineman. Regardless of the position. One dominant O-lineman changes the personality of the whole line. LT or a guard. A guy who never needs help, a guy you can run behind and get that 3rd & 1 every time. An Orlando Pace, a Jonathan Ogden, Tony Boselli, Larry Allen, etc. A guy like that. I think it would mean more to our offense than any receiver or running back would.

I havent kept up on the college players much but if there a guy like that available in the draft, i'd like to see us try and trade our picks to jump up and scoop him.

Hell yes! My thoughts exactly. My vote goes for a dominant beast of a guard to replace Colledge. After rewatching the NFC Championship, I've come to the realization that he phoned it in... and you just can't do that in games that big.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

de_real_deal said:

Strongly agreed! Imagine Grant and Jackson running behind someone like Larry Allen. We'd be exactly what MM wants to be. I think MM has stated before he wants more a 50/50 run/pass team, a truly balanced them that can hit Ds with one or the other, so they can't prepare to stop one because the other will crush them if they do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts