Predict the 2013 Packer's season record !

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going in with an expectation of 10-6, due mostly to my concerns about the Packers' o-line and how that will affect the ability to run the ball effectively and consistently as well as the pass protection issue. I still expect the Pack to win the division, make the playoffs, and be one of the bona fide 3 or 4 contenders for the Super Bowl from the NFC.

Don't be surprised - or alarmed- by a slow start and quite likely having a losing record and maybe winless going in to the early bye this year. The Pack comes back after the bye, though, and dominates the in-division games while probably just breaking even in interdivision and interconference play. They should be playing their best ball and have momentum over the last month or two of the season and be primed for a playoff run, like in 2010.

Of course, the unknown wild card in all this is injuries. How many, to whom, how serious. Unfortunately the preseason doesn't give a lot of hope that the Packers will avoid being one of the most injury prone teams in the league again this year. But they have managed to succeed even with that issue the past couple of years.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I could see anywhere between 8-8 and 11-5. I'll go with an optimistic 10-6.

The schedule is brutal, but the key is how we fare within the division. Not sold on the Bears, but they tend to play us well. Lions lost a lot of very close games last year and nearly beat us in Detroit. I expect them to be closer to the 2011 playoff team. And the Vikes - assuming AP stays healthy - are no joke. They are capable of beating anyone.

If we manage 4-2 within the North, we win the division. 3-3, we might sneak into January as a wildcard.

Reaction score
"Sigh".....Had we for once avoided injuries before the season even begins, I would have predicted 13-3, possibly 12-4 at worse, but it's next man up as usual and I guess we should be used to this. Very eager to see how our running game goes in hope of opening things up for Aaron to light it up. We should score A LOT and enough to win in any "tossup" games on the schedule (I'm hoping), but would like to see the "D" also have something to say about that and put much less pressure on our offense. Lost some players from last years roster, OL injuries, players again having to play through injuries, geez! Tough schedule as usual, but I'm staying optimistic. I'll say 11-5 and 10-6 at worse with a division title.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Through no fault of my own I have not seen a minute of preseason action so can only predict based on what I've read or heard. Doesn't sound like our line of scrimmage issues (both sides of the ball) are resolved and I think 10-6 is realistic . I also believe we may be one injury away from a catastrophic season. Hope I am wrong and we are celebrating in February!!

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Our D-line is the best it's been in years and our LB corps is underrated. I think people are underestimating our O-line as well. The biggest issue is lack of experience, especially at the tackles. But Barclay and Bakhtiari should get plenty of help against better pass rushers. Call me a homer, but I expect this to be our best year on the O-line since 2010.

As far as injuries are concerned, this is football. Injuries happen. Everybody's got to deal with them. No sense in worrying about what-ifs unless and until they actually happen.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our D-line is the best it's been in years and our LB corps is underrated. I think people are underestimating our O-line as well. The biggest issue is lack of experience, especially at the tackles. But Barclay and Bakhtiari should get plenty of help against better pass rushers. Call me a homer, but I expect this to be our best year on the O-line since 2010.

As far as injuries are concerned, this is football. Injuries happen. Everybody's got to deal with them. No sense in worrying about what-ifs unless and until they actually happen.

From your keyboard to the field, GO PACK!!!

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9-7. Same issues that were offset by depth are still around and the depth started to disappear last year. Split with division, with loss to SF already on books leaves 6-3 for the rest of the schedule, which itself seems too optimistic.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
9-7. Same issues that were offset by depth are still around and the depth started to disappear last year. Split with division, with loss to SF already on books leaves 6-3 for the rest of the schedule, which itself seems too optimistic.
We gave the 49ers a tough game in their house. What games on our schedule will be tougher this year? Split with the division? Doubtful. 6-3 the rest of the way? I called 10-6 earlier in this thread, but if Sunday was any indication, I don't see us losing more than 3-4 games the rest of the year. I think we're the better team than anyone remaining on our schedule.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
We gave the 49ers a tough game in their house. What games on our schedule will be tougher this year? Split with the division? Doubtful. 6-3 the rest of the way? I called 10-6 earlier in this thread, but if Sunday was any indication, I don't see us losing more than 3-4 games the rest of the year. I think we're the better team than anyone remaining on our schedule.
In our div 5-1 at worse. I figure about 11-5 maybe 12-4

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't make my predictions based solely on last week's game, which I was overall pleased with. I look over a longer period of time. For example, just a few years back, if anything could be gleaned from the preseason, was how our 1,2, and 3 strings consistently looked better than counterparts on opposing teams. That simply isn't the case anymore. Starting last year, the Packers' depth has eroded and the next man up simply isn't as good anymore. And with the average injuries the Packers have suffered from year to year, it is likely that pace will continue. For example, the Packers were probably the 4th best team last year to begin the season but by the end of the year they were probably the 9th best team - as each team stood with their respective attrition. And the injuries are already hitting at a high level.

Also, the Packers' success the last 6 years has had a lot to do with turnover margin or lack thereof in less successful seasons. I don't think the Packers have the capability anymore to force mistakes or ball hawk - lack of pressure and barely can get a guy to the ground much less getting a strip.

And on top of all this is a thin Oline and a rookie running back. I simply see this year's team as the 5th most potent team in the TT/MM/AR era, a little ahead of the 2008 team. I'd rank the teams, in descending order, as 2010, 2011, 2009, 2012, 2013 (predicted), and 2008. For what it's worth, that 2008 team, on paper, should not have been a 6-10 team, more like 9-7/8-8. And this team looks to be a little better than that.

In the end, the Packers success has been finesse, and there is nothing wrong with that. Relying on turnover margin, starting with negligible give aways, and putting together decent drives on offense, to rest the defense, worked. But thin TO margins and too many unsuccessful offensive drives, killing time of possession margin, puts too much pressure on a defense that, other than 2010, is fair at best. That is the reality of the current team as I see it. The Packers still have talent, but it's a lesser team within this window. The Packers have been between a 9-7 to 12-4 team, at least on paper regardless of actual record (e.g. 2011), and this team is, IMO, is to the lesser end of that spectrum.

The Packers had some extra strength in certain areas to offset some weak areas, and this team still has those weaknesses and the offsetting strength isn't there with this team.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't post on this topic yet. Preseason I thought we'd be 11-5 with losses to the Niners, Bengals, Eagles, Giants, and at Detroit. Having seen 5+ weeks of the season I'm changing it to a 12-4 record. The Niners and Bengals losses were sadly right and I still think we'll lose in Detroit on Thanksgiving, but I'm not as nearly worried about the Giants or Eagles now. Don't know exactly where the 4th loss will be, but I do think there will be a let down game somewhere (maybe the last week against the Bears if there's nothing for us to play for).