Predict 2007 Packer Kicker

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hot topic on Packer sites with contrasting viewpoints.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/06/08/1/

Kicking Competition Barely Getting Started

During the last two organized team activities (OTAs) this past week, Green Bay kickers Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby took their first kicks in team (11-on-11) drills. Prior to that, they both had been kicking in individual drills only. So, in a sense, the competition for the kicking job officially "kicked off" this week. But don't read too much into it. Both kickers know there's a long way to go, and nothing will be decided in June, or anytime soon for that matter. "It's going to be a long process," Crosby said. Both kickers attempted four to five field goals outside on Wednesday, and then were part of some run-on field goals inside the Don Hutson Center on Thursday. The latter workout was open to the media, and Rayner missed two tries from 46 yards, while Crosby made his from that same distance.

Rayner isn't overly concerned, however, because he hasn't primed his training for OTAs. He'll soon will start the process of getting himself ready for training camp, when the repetitions become more frequent and the scrutiny more intense. "The month before I'm going to kick a lot so when I get into training camp, I'm in shape," Rayner said. "But I'm not going to have to kick a ton in training camp to get in shape." Rayner won the kicking job last year midway through the preseason schedule when the team released veteran Billy Cundiff. He went on to hit 26 of 35 field-goal attempts (74.3 percent) and 31 of 32 PATs. He won't be easy to unseat, but the competition from Crosby will be legitimate in every sense. Rather than simply bring in a veteran free agent to give the appearance of competition for Rayner this summer, the Packers drafted Crosby out of Colorado in the sixth round, later than many draft experts predicted he'd be available.

With a strong leg and a track record for making long field goals in college, Crosby has an advantage over perhaps another rookie trying to win a job in Green Bay because he encountered plenty of cold, windy days in Colorado, the kind of conditions he'll encounter plenty at Lambeau Field. "Everything is about the wind that you hear here," Crosby said. "I've noticed that on the practice fields. It's stuff you can't control, and I look at it as a good challenge and something to keep my focus up." At the same time, though, Crosby doesn't have a respectable NFL season under his belt like Rayner does, and there's a bit more pressure every time he kicks, even in a June OTA. Rayner certainly wasn't happy about missing two kicks on Thursday, but it was no cause for alarm. It wouldn't have been had Crosby missed, either, but any challenger trying to knock out an incumbent is in a slightly different state of mind. "Every time I step on that practice field right now I have to kind of have a game mindset and prepare for it just the same way," Crosby said. That said, Crosby feels he's settling in well and he's not about to let the challenge in front of him overwhelm him, either. "You can't make it more than it is," he said. "When I'm on the field, I feel comfortable, and you just have to kind of zone everything out."

http://www.packers.com/draft/2007/crosby.phtml

Mason Crosby | Kicker | Colorado | 6'1" - 212 lbs.

When it comes to the art of kicking off, few players in the collegiate or professional ranks boast the leg strength that Crosby has. The holder of thirty-one school game, season and career records, he closed out his tenure as Colorado's all-time scorer with 307 points. While some skeptics cite the thin air in the Mile High City for the success of kickers in the Denver area, Crosby has proven time and again that he can be just as successful at "sea level" and with his power and follow-through, records at the professional level could soon be in jeopardy....

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/649475.html

Crosby has leg up on Rayner. With a resume like the Colorado rookie's, it doesn't take a physicist to see the sixth-round pick is the favorite to be the Packers' kicker this season.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...=http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=650688

Mason Crosby Q&A. Rookie kicker talks about experience thus far, competition, and preparations for training camp

http://www.packers.com/team/players/rayner_dave/

K Dave Rayner #16 6' 2" • 210 lbs. • Michigan State Exp: 3rd NFL Season, 2nd Packers Season Age: 24 Acquired: Waiver 2006 (Ind.) Current Status: Active Roster. Pro Summary: 15 of 23 field goals and 31 of 32 extra points last season. Third-year player enters training camp. Possessing a strong leg, originally was chosen by the Colts in the sixth round (202nd overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft Played in 14 games for the Colts in 2005 before being waived (Dec. 20). Re-signed by the Colts on Feb. 15, 2006, he was waived and picked up by the Packers.

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packerupdate/2007/05/dont_kick_rayne.html

Don't Kick Rayner To The Curb.

While there’s no denying that big-legged rookie Mason Crosby has impressive credentials, it would be a mistake to underestimate incumbent kicker Dave Rayner. The ex-Michigan State star is coming off a pretty solid rookie season, and oh yeah, he’s no slouch himself when it comes to leg strength. “Rayner doesn’t have to take a back seat to anybody in that regard,” said a former scout. “The ball explodes off his foot. I doubt you’ll see much of a difference between the two once training camp begins.” Look for Crosby to get slightly better hang-time and distance on kickoffs and Rayner to be a bit more accurate on field goals. “It should be a spirited competition,” added the scout....

Fan's view: "Dave Rayner:...one of the strongest legs in the NFL. He has great range...is consistant with the short ones...some accuracy problems with some of the longer kicks but converted 9 of 14 from 40+...Rayner was ranked 26th in FG % last year...displayed great ability to kickoff. Mason Crosby:...one of the strongest legs in the NCAA...showed outstanding range and good accuracy...kicking at high altitude helped him a lot...yet great kicks at lower altitudes...lack of late season consistency under pressure lead to fall in the draft."

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I vote Rayner this season unless he totally screws up.

However, I think that spending the draft pick on Crosby definitely means the packers think he may be our franchise kicker for post-Favre era.

Reaction score
I vote Rayner.

I read an article over at JSonline that stated Rayner is working to improve his leg strength, which impressed me considerably.

Also, in one of the review of Packer drafts, it stated that Crosby would have to rework his kicking action to make it suitable to the NFL, but that wasn't too difficult if he had a good ST coach.

Um yeah, I don't think we've had a good ST coach for a while.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They must not be too happy with Raynor to use a draft pick on a kicker.
I think if it's even close Crosby (or Stills, Nash or Young) will get the job.
Otherwise there will be a boatload of fans screaming for Teddy's head for wasting a draft pick.
JMO

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think so too.

id rather have 6 wr available than 2 kickers. and hopefully TE wont drag any dead weight.

sucks that you gotta lose one but such is the NFL
may the best foot win

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The competition can only make whoever wins that much better. I saw Crosby in a competition around the time of the combines. Kind of like those deals where the have the QB's throwing at different targets only for the kickers.

He was lousy. I know he did great things in college but he will have to come out of whatever funk he was in back then and show them he is money because he sure didn't do anything that day.

I am pretty sure that was one of the reasons he was still around on draft day so late. A lot of teams gave up on him. Hopefully they did that too early and he's at his best when the time comes.

If he's as bad as back when I'm talking about there won't be any competition. Kickers and quarterbacks. Really hard to figure which one's are going to make it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dont care. Like last year, the better kicker will win, and thats fine with me.

the difference is THIS year, the competition is of high caliber(the rookie is supposed to be awesome from what i hear).

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Small Packer Nation Polls

1. Who will be the 2007 Packer Kicker:

Mason Crosby 62%
David Rayner 28%
Other 10%

2. Who are the Packers Punters and Kickers...?

Dave Rayner and Jon Ryan 8%
Mason Crosby & Jon Ryan 84%
Dave Rayner & David Lonie 4%
Mason Crosby & David Lonie 4%

3. Which...candidate will be kicking?

Mason Crosby 61%
Dave Rayner 39%

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fan's view

"The fact they used a draft pick on a kicker seems to suggest they believe Rayner can be improved on. The only way Crosby isn't on the team week one would be if Rayner takes a significant step forward and/or Crosby falls flat on his face during camp. I think the latter is pretty unlikely given Crosby's success in college and cannon leg. So, it is up to Rayner to prove there is a vast difference between him and Crosby."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fan's view

"If you look at leg strength Crosby has it as well. My guess was Crosby. Stud in college and TT liked him enough to use a draft pick on him."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Small Packer Nation Sites' Polls

1. Who will be the 2007 Packer Kicker:

Mason Crosby 62%
David Rayner 28%
Other 10%

2. Who are the Packers Punters and Kickers...?

Dave Rayner and Jon Ryan 8%
Mason Crosby & Jon Ryan 84%
Dave Rayner & David Lonie 4%
Mason Crosby & David Lonie 4%

3. Which...candidate will be kicking?

Mason Crosby 61%
Dave Rayner 39%

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
remember how much Rayner struggled in Chicago last year?
We need a better kicker.

cuz of one game?

im not disagreeing with you really(like i said, i dont care who kicks), but...cuz of 1 game? at least say he was ****** all year OR SOMETHING

Reaction score
We need a better kicker.

It was raining, the field was amazingly wet, and the Bears had relaid the middle of field. It was hard for him to get proper footing, which is understandable considering the weather conditions.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
We need a better kicker.

It was raining, the field was amazingly wet, and the Bears had relaid the middle of field. It was hard for him to get proper footing, which is understandable considering the weather conditions.
It was insane that Gould did what he did. It's widely accepted that Soldier Field is the hardest stadium to kick in in the NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts