Pre-Training Camp Assessment(s)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It interesting how we had very few roster changes coming into last season, and many argued this to be a good thing -- continuity. I was one of those arguing that this was good for the team.

The major drawbacks were the McKenzie situation messing up team chemistry early on and the defense never coming together. Even with all of the consistency coming into last season, we appeared in disarray to start the season (1-4).

This season we will see huge changes on defense and a new OL. We have a lot of young, fast, talented players ready to go, so we should expect a number of mistakes. But all of the change may produce a better start to the season in contrast to the consistency going into last year.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting article by Mark Lawrence, some very good points made.

Good to see that everyone doesn't have their heads up their butt and are mature enough to face some reality.

The Sherman butt kissing is getting stale.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
The Sherman bashing is even staler.

Looking at Mike Sherman constructively and using the facts to point out his weaknesses is bashing?

Guy's like you thing falsely positive about Sherman which is based on a hope and a prayer.

The cold hard facts will be coming soon.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy sort of lost me in the third paragraph, when he said that Najeh Davenport is threatening to hold out. This is false. But I did read the whole thing, and I agree with his basic point that the team is in a state of transition. If they crash and burn this year, there will be HUGE turnover, and even if they have a good season--say, they go to the NFC championship game or farther--there will still be plenty of turnover.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
If they crash and burn this year, there will be HUGE turnover, and even if they have a good season--say, they go to the NFC championship game or farther--there will still be plenty of turnover.

NFC championship game or farther....

Ha Ha Ha, LMAO.....

Greg, you are a funny guy.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
[quote="Greg C.":26zz406e]If they crash and burn this year, there will be HUGE turnover, and even if they have a good season--say, they go to the NFC championship game or farther--there will still be plenty of turnover.

Ha Ha Ha, LMAO.....

Greg, you are a funny guy.[/quote:26zz406e]
I'd be careful how quick you are to laugh - having EGG on your face later decries a known lack of credibility... I have no doubt - that IF, and I use the term loosely here, ...IF, you are a true Packer fan - then you're hoping the Packers win the SuperBowl... Otherwise, you're just a Bears fan hidin' out cause there's nothing to cheer about over in Chicago....

I can see Greg wasn't trying... to be funny!

Chase - You're sense of humor needs work....
You sure you aren't an emissary from PackerSuck.com?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article indicates some unsigned rookies as being signed for next year which is expected but not accurate.

There is another aspect to the article that I have posted about in the past. Ted Thompson does not say much publicly and no one is speaking for him. What does that do?

It allows others to wonder about the unknown. It is human nature to fear the unknown. Persons assume the worst case scenario and work up from there.
It is a good negotiating tactic.

Another characteristic is patience. In great contrast to Sherman where time worked against him and he had to make a deal. Thompson can wait. Look at the Ruegamer cut and re-signing weeks later. Look at the time he took in signing veteran safeties and Navies.

The head coach extention decision can come later. It applies a little extra pressure to Sherman at no real cost. If the season is going poorly Sherman can be signed cheaper or give an excuse for not extension. He can wait long enough to see how much another team would want to sign him after the season to set the market.

The article implies Ted is in a "dump the old and form his team" mode. If he was inclined to slash and burn there would have been more done than cut Sharper, Wahle and not sign Rivera, Jue.

Flexibility is another. He has done well with limited cap space to have options at many positions. Few on the team are secure in where they are on the depth chart. That is good for the motivation.

With silent Ted walking softly and carrying a small stick people are able to interpret conditions however they view it. Next year with 55 million to spend and acquire 20-25 players. Some may in on the roster now. This is an excellent situation but more so if the CBA talks do not go well and 2007 is an uncapped year.

Last spring I thought it would take Ted Thompson 3 year to recover from Sherman's drafts. It could be 2.

The author's opinion is that 05 is a transistion year. Some think it is a skid. I think it is on the upswing. If Sherman is not hired as the coach next year, I am wrong.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Cheez - My take is this -----

During the Draft - our 2nd pick was a Wide Receiver type player.... good pick, too!
Do you think TT already knew the political climate revolving around the Players as he was stepping off the plane? I DO!

I will go back and review - but the Murphy draft pick was more likely than not... a heading off with concerns about JWalker, and if not him, then the possible down-swing of Ferguson....

To tell ya the truth, if not this year, then next.... and pending the resurgence of Fergie, with his eye surgery, etc., - then we could be looking at a DUO tandem set of WR's from the same College - who know each other pretty good and have the same attitude....

This may cause some concern for Double-D... and he'd better step up his game, certainly.... but, well.. that's a possibility which may happen pending how well Murphy does at the outset.... I would like to think they're both working out together in just that vein of thought!

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Steel Wheels said:
[quote="Greg C.":1zu5pcem]If they crash and burn this year, there will be HUGE turnover, and even if they have a good season--say, they go to the NFC championship game or farther--there will still be plenty of turnover.

Ha Ha Ha, LMAO.....

Greg, you are a funny guy.
I'd be careful how quick you are to laugh - having EGG on your face later decries a known lack of credibility... I have no doubt - that IF, and I use the term lossely here, ...IF, you are a true Packer fan - then you're hoping the Packers win the SuperBowl... Otherwise, you're just a Bears fan hidin' out cause there's nothing to cheer about over in Chicago....[/quote:1zu5pcem]

The Packers are going into the 2005 season with a new highly regarded DC Jim Bates. Bates will improve the defense but it will be limited because of lack of proper player personnel. Not enough to get the Packers deep into the playoffs.

The DL is a mess, the Packers have no true MLB allowing Barnett and Diggs to play the outsides and the Packers defensive backfield is filled with question marks.

Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera will be missed, make no mistake! Packers still need solid veteran WR to add to mix. 2005 will begin the downside of Ahman Green's career. Davenport and Fisher will have to pick up the slack.

Packers are facing very tough 2005 schedule. All things considered the Packers look like a 8-8 team plus or minus 1 game. If I am wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised but I will never be disappointed because I have no fear of reality.

As soon as Mike Sherman is gone, Ted Thompson and the Packers can get down to the business of winning a Super Bowl while Brett Favre is still in Green Bay.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Prez, you mean that sherman was relieved of GM duties, not coaching duties.
?????????? - You lost me with this comment?

I think that Harlan's "honest" mistake when Sherman was promoted - was to give him what Holmgren had asked for... especially when around the League, almost all of the other Teams were walking away from the GM/HC dual role nonsense... the job of either position is just too immense for most people - unless, like Andy Reid, you have one helluva Staff standing right behind you.. loyal to the bone! And, as far as Andy Reid is concerned, I sometimes wonder what might have been, had he stayed in Green Bay... but that's spilt milk these days. I know I would have NEVER given anyone both titles no matter what - if they didn't think a SuperBowl winning Coach could pull it off - why think a TE Coach with no actual HC experience might be able to pull it off...? Harlan and the Packers let Sherman's Agent get to them.. that's what happened and the Sherman proved he really and truly couldn't handle the job.. Oh, I like the guy well enough - he's a devout Christian who's a top drawer family man and a true "let's bleed green & gold" kinda Packer fan everyone would like to have as the Head Coach.... But, as a business man - he leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to the monetary side of the ball... and NO Head Coach should have to be in that position - it causes issues when dealing with the Players both off & on the field. We've been given enough evidence of that in the last four years, eh?

Having said all that - now that Mike Sherman is not saddled with the GM duties and subliminal threats from Players can no longer inhibit his focus "as the Head Coach" ...then I think we'll see a rejuvenated, more clear thinking Head Coach than we've ever seen in him to this date. I would bet his Family really appreciates the extra time he now has... ya think? So, too, should the Players come to know him and regard him in a different light...

Maybe this year, we (the HC and the Team) can all get on the same page - weed out the malcontents - and get on with the business of winning that 13th Championship - THE SUPERBOWL

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like no one thinks '05 is going to be a good year, except me. That's ok I'll get better odds in Vegas. But, why isn't Clifton on that list for '06 players?

Blash Sherman all you want, but the facts are we have our QB, LT, RDE, #1 CB, RT, and MLB all signed to multi-year deals. All are red/blue players. Those are the 6 highest paid positions in football. Anyone who can think above a chimp would argue the highest paid positions are the most important. Sherman has done a fantasic job over the last 4 years as GM.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
The cold hard facts will be coming soon.

How many years have we heard this one from you?
And how many times has the team then made the playoffs?
try a new mantra this ones broken.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
Packers are facing very tough 2005 schedule. All things considered the Packers look like a 8-8 team plus or minus 1 game. If I am wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised but I will never be disappointed because I have no fear of reality.

This coming from a guy who claims a coach with a 43-21 record "sucks" and that Mike Holmgren will be head coach of Green Bay next year. :roll:

The reason you have no fear of reality is because you do not live in it.

Regards,

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

Latest posts