Practice Squad Players

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers officially announced the team has signed the following players to the practice squad.

WR Geronimo Allison, LB Carl Bradford, LB Beniquez Brown, LB Reggie Gilbert, RB Don Jackson, G Blake Muir, G Lucas Patrick, DT Brian Price, WR Herb Waters and S Jermaine Whitehead.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers officially announced the team has signed the following players to the practice squad.

WR Geronimo Allison, LB Carl Bradford, LB Beniquez Brown, LB Reggie Gilbert, RB Don Jackson, G Blake Muir, G Lucas Patrick, DT Brian Price, WR Herb Waters and S Jermaine Whitehead.
Once they sign a LS, somebody will get bumped off the 53 man roster. It would stand to reason they'll want him for the PS if he clears waivers and one these names would be bumped off. I'd speculate it would be Whitehead out, Dorleant in if the latter clears.

Throughout the season, the bottom half of PS is a revolving door with guys coming and going. We talk about "camp bodies". Some these guys will turn out to be "scout team bodies" subject to upgrade. A minor injury could be all it takes to tip the scales.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorleant did go to IR.

As far as the PS guys. I like 3 of them and thought 2 actually might make the team. Either way I'm glad to see Bradford, Allison and Brown staying with us. I think at some point Bradford and Allison could be on the roster by the end of this year. Brown I don't think will. I don't think he has enough experience to play for us or be activated THIS year.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know about the current roster but Thompson has drafted 14 players out of the SEC since taking over as the Packers general manager. There are eight teams in the league that have drafted less and another three the same amount SEC prospects over that period.
I think you'd need to do the comparison on a percentage basis given Thompson's habit of accumulating picks, particularly in the front half of his tenure when he was team-building and putting his stamp on the roster. He's had more than the allotted 7 picks in all but 3 years, and never fewer than 7.

The 14 draftees out of the SEC in the Thompson era are as follows:

2007 - Justin Harrell - Tennessee - DT
2007 - DeShawn Wynn - Florida - RB
2008 - Patrick Lee - Auburn - DB
2008 - Matt Flynn - LSU - QB
2009 - Quinn Johnson - LSU - RB
2009 - Jamon Meredith - South Carolina - OT
2009 - Jarius Wynn - GA - DE
2011 - Derek Sherrod - Mississippi State - OT
2011 - Randall Cobb - Kentucky - WR
2011 - D.J. Williams - Arkansas - TE
2012 - Casey Hayward - Vanderbilt - DB
2013 - Eddy Lacy - Alabama - RB
2013 - Josh Boyd - Mississippi State - DE
2014 - Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix - Alabama - DB

No SEC picks in the last 2 drafts; 4 in the last 5 drafts; SEC selectivity in the earlier rounds during the back half of the Thompson era has yielded much better results than during the front half.

The Packers have gone to the PAC-12 for 7 draftees in the past 2 drafts; 13 in the past 5. However, in the first 7 Thompson drafts, there were only 6 PAC-10/PAC-12 players selected out of a whopping 68 picks.

In the first half of his tenure, Thompson was conference agnostic, looking for players wherever he could find them.

In the second half of his tenure he's not been entirely averse to looking for playmakers in the SEC who may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer (Sherrod being the Wonderlic exception).

In the last 5 years, he's favored smart guys out of the west. The fact that college pro style offenses are an endangered species, with Stanford and Cal having been among the few left at the major level, probably factors into it, whether playing in, playing against or practicing against something that looks like what will be encountered in the pros.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Devon Cajuste should be added to the 53 and Perillo can go to the PS.

Almost certainly nobody will pick up Perillo if you cut him. He's no run blocker and his ability to get open is very limited. And I've never heard about Perillo's indispensable special teams prowess. So, why is he still on the 53 instead of someone like Cajuste?

Cajuste has the height and high-pointing a catch dynamic. I'd like him in on the red zone stuff where teams are trying to lock down Nelson, Cobb & Cook...and, oh, look there's Cajuste in the back of the end zone towering over a 5'11" dime CB.

Sky King

Reaction score

Almost certainly nobody will pick up Perillo if you cut him. He's no run blocker and his ability to get open is very limited. And I've never heard about Perillo's indispensable special teams prowess. So, why is he still on the 53 instead of someone like Cajuste?

Cajuste has the height and high-pointing a catch dynamic. I'd like him in on the red zone stuff where teams are trying to lock down Nelson, Cobb & Cook...and, oh, look there's Cajuste in the back of the end zone towering over a 5'11" dime CB.
The Swami has spoken.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Moses. And Mulumba until he was cut. KC's GM was in scouting with the Packers you may recall.

Can anybody name any guys who the Packers have cut in the last 5 years who became starters? Sitton might, but that's not a matter of talent but of cost. Charles Johnson was a starter with Vikes briefly in 2014, then he was injured and then lost his job to Diggs. I cannot think of another.

Perillo is a fine ST player. But I agree that no one would pick him up he's underrated imo

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with this. I like Perillo, but he's got physical limitations that will keep him from being anything other than a backup.

I'd like to know what happened with Cajuste. I'm disappointed that we apparently did not pick him up.

H

HardRightEdge

You may have missed the point. The reason for raising the question is the oft-repeated assessment that the Packers superior draft and develop approach leaves them with an excess of depth and talent at cut downs.

Woodson was neither drafted nor developed in Green Bay. He was replaced with the home grown M.D. Jennings, who would be in the running for Decade's Worst Free Safety.

The Woodson example reinforces my point.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren't the guys on the practice squad basically 'cuts'? They had to clear waivers in order to end up there, right?

As far as the Woodson suggestion, your question was
Can anybody name any guys who the Packers have cut in the last 5 years who became starters? Sitton might, but that's not a matter of talent but of cost. Charles Johnson was a starter with Vikes briefly in 2014, then he was injured and then lost his job to Diggs. I cannot think of another.
so I can understand someone not understanding the rest of your point.

H

HardRightEdge

Aren't the guys on the practice squad basically 'cuts'? They had to clear waivers in order to end up there, right?
Good point. And the Packers PS is always heavily populated with their own guys who other teams did not clamor for.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know the reason behind Cajuste not ending up on the Packers practice squad but I don't consider it a big deal. He didn't really light it up during the preseason (one catch for 40 yards) and was cut by a team in need of receiving threats. There's no reason to believe he's better than any of the pass catchers currently on the Packers roster or practice squad.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOVE this move, hopefully Cajuste works on his hands/concentration and becomes a TE receiving threat.

H

HardRightEdge

Good. :)

Packers trade all-pro center Jim Ringo to Eagles!

P.S. We won three world championships in 5 years after making that trade. Just sayin. ;)
Those were the days. Reserve clause; quibbling over a couple of thousand dollars; employing an agent being a capital offense; getting a starter plus a 1st. round pick for a center.

So, if Lane Taylor plays like Ken Bowman I guess Thompson will have punched his ticket to Valhalla. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts