Practice Squad Players

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't find a practice squad thread that was already started, so please add any official
updates here for signed practice squad players.

Brian Price DT
Carl Bradford ILB
Reggie Gilbert OLB
Lucas Patrick G

OP
OP
TeamTundra

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR Geronimo Allison has been added to the Packers practice squad per Tom Siverstein.

RB Brandon Burks has been cut and is not expected to be added to the practice squad.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Beniquez Brown and Herb Waters returns to the Packers PS

The Packers filled nine of their 10 practice-squad spots on Sunday, according to the NFL's transaction notice. They went to: WR Geronimo Allison, LB Carl Bradford, LB Beniquez Brown, OLB Reggie Gilbert, G Blake Muir, G Lucas Patrick, DT Brian Price, WR Herb Waters and CB Jermaine Whitehead.

All were in camp with the Packers except for Muir, who was released by the 49ers.

Interesting to note that Devon Cajuste wasn't on that list as reported earlier. But his Twitter account sure makes it sound like he is a Packer.
https://twitter.com/devoncajuste?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had picked Cajuste in my mock draft earlier this spring, expecting him to become a seam-splitting TE... let's see if the lad bulks up?

H

HardRightEdge

The Palo Alto Packers will soon be completed.
And it's hard not to notice the PAC 12 contingent in general. Add Clark and Davis in this years draft to the Stanford guys.

At the same time, excluding Cook who was an established vet, by my count the only SEC guys on the 53 man roster are Clinton-Dix, Cobb and Lacy. There are as many from UCLA or Cal or Stanford (or Iowa for that matter) than from the entire SEC.

I would venture a guess the Packers have one of the lowest, if not the lowest, SEC contingent in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

haha. zombo still plays for them somehow.
And Moses. And Mulumba until he was cut. KC's GM was in scouting with the Packers you may recall.

Can anybody name any guys who the Packers have cut in the last 5 years who became starters? Sitton might, but that's not a matter of talent but of cost. Charles Johnson was a starter with Vikes briefly in 2014, then he was injured and then lost his job to Diggs. I cannot think of another.

H

HardRightEdge

I saw this right after the draft & thought it interesting... Sam Seale, West Coast scout for Packers.
http://www.packers.com/media-center...st-picks/51a4bf02-c1b8-46cf-a0ae-15538d31ac37
I recall watching that at the time. It's not "just the way the board fell", as Seale deflects the question. The pattern has been established over several years and it says the Packers lean toward smarter guys from schools with better academics. I'm sure they look at the Wonderlic scores. This last Packer draft class was the NFL's "All Academic".

This is clearly not a make-or-break criteria. Neither Clinton-Dix, Lacy nor Cobb is going to solve the relativity-quantum theory paradox, all of whom showed poorly on the Wonderlic test. However, there's clearly an emphasis on native intelligence that goes to coachability, or so the theory goes. The law of averages says a guy should score at least a 12 on the Wonderlic if he just answered all the questions randomly (they are all multiple choice or true/false questions).

If you draft a guy from a football factory with a mid-teen on down Wonderlic, and there are lot of them in every draft, you may be acquiring a guy who is functionally illiterate often with ancillary baggage that comes with it.

H

HardRightEdge

I am going to butcher his name but Bruno giacomini. He is a starting LT with the Jets but hurt.
Breno Giocomini departure was neither in the last 5 years nor was he cut.

Seattle plucked him off the Packers practice squad in 2010.

Come to think of it, Charles Johnson wasn't cut either. He also was taken off the Packers practice squad.

The point being, I see little evidence that the Packer 90 man rosters over the years have been chock-a-block with young talent that teams clamor for at cut downs as some commentators observe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Moses. And Mulumba until he was cut. KC's GM was in scouting with the Packers you may recall.

Can anybody name any guys who the Packers have cut in the last 5 years who became starters? Sitton might, but that's not a matter of talent but of cost. Charles Johnson was a starter with Vikes briefly in 2014, then he was injured and then lost his job to Diggs. I cannot think of another.

Woodson.

OP
OP
TeamTundra

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it's hard not to notice the PAC 12 contingent in general. Add Clark and Davis in this years draft to the Stanford guys.

At the same time, excluding Cook who was an established vet, by my count the only SEC guys on the 53 man roster are Clinton-Dix, Cobb and Lacy. There are as many from UCLA or Cal or Stanford (or Iowa for that matter) than from the entire SEC.

I would venture a guess the Packers have one of the lowest, if not the lowest, SEC contingent in the league.

IMO SEC players are overrated. There have been several 1st round picks the past few years
That have been busts or major disappointments. The Jets just cut CB Dee Millner who
was a top 15 pick three years ago. Several other players such as Trent Richardson, Rolando
McClain, Mark Barron, Chance Warmack, Dre Kirkpatrick, etc have been disappointing to
the team that drafted them and those are just Alabama players.

Yes, there is a lot of talent in the SEC, but too often it is overrated. This past weekend alone
two SEC teams were upset - LSU and Mississippi State.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know about the current roster but Thompson has drafted 14 players out of the SEC since taking over as the Packers general manager. There are eight teams in the league that have drafted less and another three the same amount SEC prospects over that period.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO SEC players are overrated. There have been several 1st round picks the past few years
That have been busts or major disappointments. The Jets just cut CB Dee Millner who
was a top 15 pick three years ago. Several other players such as Trent Richardson, Rolando
McClain, Mark Barron, Chance Warmack, Dre Kirkpatrick, etc have been disappointing to
the team that drafted them and those are just Alabama players.

Yes, there is a lot of talent in the SEC, but too often it is overrated. This past weekend alone
two SEC teams were upset - LSU and Mississippi State.
Let's not even go there.

You're right that the SEC talent doesn't always translate to the NFL. But let's not forget Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Amari Cooper, Justin Houston, Eric Berry, and others from the SEC who have monster talent.

Members online

Latest posts