Practice Impressions

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the Packer practice on Wednesday and came away with a few impressions.

The crowd at the 9:00 practice was smaller than in past years. I was surprised at that.

The crowd wasn't nearly so into the practice as past years. I wonder if that is because the expectations are so low. I didn't feel the electricity in the crowd that I have in past years.

The pace of the practice seemed slow/sluggish and there didn't seem to be a great deal of energy in practice. I made a comment to one of the other visitors that I was suprised at the lack of intensity even in the drills.

I watched the D backs and linebackers mostly. The d-backs looked incredibly quick and I liked how Lional Washington corrected things. Winston Moss was real demonstrative with the linebackers. Other than that, nothing jumped out at me. There were, I believe, four interceptions. I'm not sure if that was because the QB's didn't look good, receivers didn't do what they were supposed to do, or if our D-backs are that good.

Donald Driver has become a crowd favorite and he plays to the crowd.

The Shrine (Lambeau Field) is still a place where people want to come. I saw people from all over the country who just want a feel of what it's like to be at a place where there the history is so rich. I think if the players had an opportunity to meet with these great fans they would have a much clearer understanding of what the expectations are in this community. For players it might just be a job in most cities. In Green Bay it's different.

It was also different at practice this year. I hope that somehow Mike McCarthy can renew the expectations of this team. I hope we don't settle into mediocrity.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer practice at 9:00 am (shells) are usually not in pads,, Packer practices in pads are more spirited. There is hitting going on and they are well attended by Packer fans. One of Packer practices in Pads I went to, was very crowded, the one at 9:00 am without pads was not crowded. I saw no difference in that practice with Pads than last year's practices.

I have saw much effort by the players in the Packer Training camp sessions ,even in the hot WI. summer and practices were well organized. There were cheers by the crowd for great plays and some booing for the FG kickers when FG kicks was missed.

Viewing one Training camp session in shells (no pads) does not mean the Packer are having a poor Packer training camp '06. If there is one Packer training camp session I would miss, it would be the one in shells. When you seen one session in shells , you just about seen them all. These sessions without pads remind me of mini camp sessions and OTA's. Give me some hitting, even it is Packers hitting Packers. That is Football!! Better yet, give me the real thing-A official NFL Packer game!! Until the real season starts, I will have to watch Packer training camp sessions , both in Shells and Pads and Packer pre season games.

I am typical GB born Packer fan. It is Packers 365 days a year for me and has been what seems like forever. I guess around 60 years.

I guess, that is why I was made PF historian!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand there being less people. Last season was the pits, and alot of people i don't think expect much this year. In a way, it's nicer for the fans. Easier to see, and get up close to the players.
Last season i was able to buy a ticket for the last 2 regular season games for UNDER face value. When is the last time a fan could do that? It was because the team was doing poorly.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess that practicing in shells is also a bit of redunancy for the players. After all, these guys have been trained to HIT, and that's what they want to do. It's their whole goal in life. And if we want a good team, it MUST be that way.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were scheduled to be in pads. McCarthy changed that before practice. I got the feeling that the fans were lethargic because it wasn't a spirited practice. I do agree that pads probably make it more energetic, but I just got the feeling that the energy level isn't there and I can only base that on what I saw on this one day. Others who have been there more often can obviously speak to this better than I can.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts