Pouncey Officially Out!

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
If Matthews was on the Steelers he wouldn't be a starter. Here's the stats, Jack.

This year Matthews had 60 total tackles and 13 sacks. To compare the Steelers linebackers, Harrison had 100 tackles 11 sacks, Timmons 135 tackles and 3 sacks, Farrior 109 and 6 sacks, and Woodley had 50 tackles and 10 sackes. While Matthews can get at the quarterback, he wouldn't rank as one of the Steelers best linebackers with those stats.

If he were on the Steelers in place of one of those guys, wouldn't he maybe have similar stats maybe? You're assuming you'd have all those other guys too if Clay was there, which more than likely wouldn't be the case.

I'm guessing it's simply a case of "He's not a Steeler, so he must suck" but I could be mistaken.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he were on the Steelers in place of one of those guys, wouldn't he maybe have similar stats maybe? You're assuming you'd have all those other guys too if Clay was there, which more than likely wouldn't be the case.

I'm guessing it's simply a case of "He's not a Steeler, so he must suck" but I could be mistaken.

Must be, although neither Big Ben or Bradshaw in their prime would start on the '10 Packers. Steeler fans can believe whatever they want.

Reaction score

So, you're basically saying that Green Bay's defense isn't as stellar or close to the Steelers? Hence, why the Steelers linebacking core have better numbers?

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
So, you're basically saying that Green Bay's defense isn't as stellar or close to the Steelers? Hence, why the Steelers linebacking core have better numbers?

No, I'm just saying that you view everything through these:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Matthews was on the Steelers he wouldn't be a starter. Here's the stats, Jack.

This year Matthews had 60 total tackles and 13 sacks. To compare the Steelers linebackers, Harrison had 100 tackles 11 sacks, Timmons 135 tackles and 3 sacks, Farrior 109 and 6 sacks, and Woodley had 50 tackles and 10 sackes. While Matthews can get at the quarterback, he wouldn't rank as one of the Steelers best linebackers with those stats.

Rivers has better numbers than Ben

There fore Rivers is a better q/b

Reaction score
No, I'm just saying that you view everything through these:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

While I am a Steelers fan, the stats are showing that the Steelers are a lot more dominant defensively than the Packers. The Packers are good, i'll give them that, but they better hope that their air attack works wonders. Because it's obvious that they can't run dominantly to control the clock, or stop the run very well.

Plus, the AFC is still a lot more dominant than the NFC. The NFC shifts from good teams to mediocre teams in just a few years, while the Steelers, Colts, New England, Baltimore are in it every year. San Diego could also be added as a consistent team from the last decade. The NFC can't claim a single team that has done that for a full decade, probably the closest one would be the Eagles.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
While I am a Steelers fan, the stats are showing that the Steelers are a lot more dominant defensively than the Packers. The Packers are good, i'll give them that, but they better hope that their air attack works wonders. Because it's obvious that they can't run dominantly to control the clock, or stop the run very well.

Plus, the AFC is still a lot more dominant than the NFC. The NFC shifts from good teams to mediocre teams in just a few years, while the Steelers, Colts, New England, Baltimore are in it every year. San Diego could also be added as a consistent team from the last decade. The NFC can't claim a single team that has done that for a full decade, probably the closest one would be the Eagles.

Well, it's probably best if us two AFC guys didn't go on and on about the dominance of the AFC on an NFC team board :happy0005:

Now, back to the air attack - remember the Pats-Steelers game? The Packers' air attack is a lot like the Pats air attack - but with the added advantage of a deep threat or two. I think they will give the Steeler D fits. Their run game has really gotten going late in the year - ti suffered early on due to injuries, but I think it is a good solid ground attack.

This game won't be a cakewalk for the Steelers - as I've mentioned elsewhere, I think it will reflect a Pats@Steelers style game, but that's just personal opinion.

Dont' write off the Pack just because the Jets D was better on paper, is all I'm saying :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This

What kind of ****? We're discussing defenses - since, you know, Pouncy and his replacement are O-lineman who will face a defense. :D

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out who this Puncey fella is and what he fell out of.
Don't mind me... Just driving through.Oh hey Lookie kids! Cows!

Same person that calls himself "fella"

I normally dont call men fellas but hey to each his own

;)

JeromeBettis63

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Sherlock...the Steelers have had plenty of adversity through injury, suspensions, etc...every NFL team has key players out throughout the year...stop whining like it was only you guys...silly rookie.

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
argue all u want but pouncey was your starter for a reason

He was. But IMO, he is the starter because of his ability not only at the point of attack, but moreover, his ability to get down field and finish a second or third block 20, 30 yards downfield.

THAT, is where we are going to miss him the most, and Steelers fans are crazy if they think our run game (in the second level) is going to walk all over the Packers. The reason we got a lot of those bigger runs, was Pouncy popping a second person, something Hartwig couldn't do, and I doubt Legurskey can do.

Don't get me wrong, Legurskey is a very good player. I have been a fan of his since he first came, and thought he should have beat out Hartwig LAST year. I don't see much of a drop off on the line- just downfield it'll hurt quite a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts