1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pouncey Officially Out!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Wood Chipper, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
  2. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Canadian Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +166
    Someone posted this yesterday, the general consensus being it would have been better for him to play because he was only at 50%. I don't think it will affect the outcome, the new guy got the job done versus the Jets (other then that one safety).

3. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    It wouldn't of been good for the Steelers either way. If he played injured, he'd just be a liability. I feel bad for him in a way. It must suck to have to miss the SB.

4. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    my bad for the repost :(

5. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    He has a funny name lol :p

6. Burgh Splat Lambert

Burgh Splat Lambert Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    His back up, Legursky is a 3 yr vet, knows the system and is a quite capable fill in, he won't miss a beat.

7. GoSlash27

GoSlash27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    Yinz might take notice that the classier visitors among us always give respect where it's due and don't intentionally misspell the names of opposing players. Just sayin'.

Aaron Smith being out ain't news for us. Ziggy has done an outstanding job in his place, so I ain't worried about that.
    Bronco definitely isn't at the level of Pouncey, so the matchup between him and the freezer will definitely bear watching.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    Yeah, Smith has been out since what? Octorber? That doesn't even factor in.

Pouncey is another story. Kitten is right though. If he played hurt it could have been even worse because his mobility would be limited. Legursky will have his hands full.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GoSlash27

GoSlash27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    Agreed. My sources tell me that it was actually Pouncey's call whether to play or not and he *chose* to sit. I think that shows a lot of selflessness and maturity for a rookie.

10. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    He's never started a game at center in his NFL career and will have to make all the line calls. Not the easiest game to break in at the position to say the least.

11. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    Whatever is an advantage for the Packers, I'm good with that.

12. Rodgers in the House

Rodgers in the House Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    Raji will still be going after Ben all day. We have 15 guys on IR so oh well is all I can say.

13. GoSlash27

GoSlash27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    We have a saying on our team: There's no such thing as a backup. All just starters-in-waiting.
    Bronco did a fine job against NY other than the botched snaps and I'm sure they've been working on that the last 2 weeks.
    He'll either be up to it or he won't. *shrug*

14. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

SteelIsStrongerThanCheese Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, considering that Pouncy went out early, and the Jets who have a better pass rush than the Packers couldn't stop Mendenhall is telling.

Mendenhall has field days against teams like the Pack. It's going to be a thing of beauty. In fact Mendy is my pick for MVP.

15. Rodgers in the House

Ratings:
    +111
    Sir Matthews will have something to say about this. He and Raji will have their way with *BEN* and force the Steelers to be a one dimensional team. If all you can do is run then you aren't going to score very much if at all. It will be nothing but FG's for you if that happens. And in the mean time Rodgers will tear up your secondary and Starks will keep your linebackers in check.

16. TheSnowPlow

TheSnowPlow Driving Don Shula Crazy

Ratings:
    +491
    Not really. If New England's rookie defense can hold Mendenhall to 50 yards, I'm sure the Packers can do even better :happy0005:

17. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

Ratings:
    +3
    Keep thinking that. The Steelers will definitely have a balanced attack. They are not just all run. But, they will use the run to keep time of possession in their favor. Considering how poor Green Bay is against the run, I can see Mendhenhall getting 20 yard runs quite a few times during this game.

You guys are far from the Ravens in stopping the run.

Matthews is also overrated. I can't wait till he gets popped a few times by Miller/Ward/Redman.

18. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    Thanx for the laughs!

:laughing: :kawaii: :jester: :rotfl: :rofl: :grin:

(Now where is that "I'm with stupid" T-shirt when I need it?)

19. Rodgers in the House

Ratings:
    +111

Now I know you're not for real. I almost died and fell off my chair laughing.

20. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    Really?

Is that why the Packers had more sacks than the Jets and only one less than your Steelers?

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    we had 7 more sacks than the Jets this season. Come on man if your going to put down our team at least have some idea of what your talking about otherwise you just look foolish and no one will be taking you seriously.

22. TheSnowPlow

Ratings:
    +491
    The Jets defense had an okay pass rush, but it was inconsistent, and I don't think they played an entire 60 minutes of football in any game all year. Their D would have one really good quarter, and suck for the other 3. They had the same issue with their offense. Neither side of the ball ever played a complete game.

23. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Canadian Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +166
    CM3 overrated? You are the same type of Steeler fan going on about how he wouldn't even start on your team. Nonsense, this is where you fail.

24. TheSnowPlow

Ratings:
    +491
    My own personal opinion is this: The Packer offense is very similar to the New England Offense, except the Packers also have a deep threats that the Pats don't have. The Steelers had no defense against the short and mid-range passes, the slants, etc so they changed their D after that game. With the deep threat, those changes will mean less.

Your defense is a lot better than the defense that the Pats fielded, with a very solid pass rush, an excellent secondary, and good veteran leadership.

I think, therefore, that the Steelers D will struggle with the Packer offense, and GB will capitalize on that. In turn, the GB defense will be able to be more aggressive, and cause a lot of trouble for Big Ben.

Will this game be a cakewalk for the Packers? No, but I think this game will play out much like when New England plays the Steelers. Any Steeler fan thinking it will be a cakewalk for their team has not watched the Packers play, imho.

25. SteelIsStrongerThanCheese

Ratings:
    +3
    If Matthews was on the Steelers he wouldn't be a starter. Here's the stats, Jack.

This year Matthews had 60 total tackles and 13 sacks. To compare the Steelers linebackers, Harrison had 100 tackles 11 sacks, Timmons 135 tackles and 3 sacks, Farrior 109 and 6 sacks, and Woodley had 50 tackles and 10 sackes. While Matthews can get at the quarterback, he wouldn't rank as one of the Steelers best linebackers with those stats.

• Like Like x 1