Postgame: Packers 27, Bears 17

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jermichael Finley caught all three of Aaron Rodgers touchdown passes, as the Packers move to 3-0 with a 27-17 win over the Bears Sunday afternoon at Soldier field.

The Packers are 3-0 for the second time in the Mike McCarthy era, also doing so in 2007.

"Our two targets were No. 1 to win the game, and No. 2 to improve as a football team," said McCarthey.

"People talk about leading the division after three games, I think it's non-sense, we've got a lot of football left to play."

"But I thought we were balanced, but we left too many points on the field, we had two turnovers, that's a negative we had not turned the ball over until today. We had too many pre-snap penalties."

The Packers defense applied the pressure against Jay Cutler all afternoon recording three official sacks and forcing two interceptions. Packers defensive end Jarius Wynn had two of the Packers sacks on Cutler. Morgan Burnett was responsible for each of the interceptions and also recorded five tackles.

The Bears offense was unable to develop any momentum, losing the time of possession battle 37:29-22:31.

The Bears ran the ball just 12 times for 13 yards. Cutler did not complete a pass in the second half until there were less than four minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter.

Rodgers finished with 297 passing yards, three touchdowns an interceptions, making completions to seven different Packers. He completed 28-of-38 passes with a QB rating of 111.4

"We just won a big division game against a rival on the road, and I think that there's a feeling that we could have played a little bit better," Rodgers said after the game.

Greg Jennings was the leading receiver with nine catches for 119 yards.

"We got Greg involved early, which we didn't really do last year, he had two catches, so it was important to get him involved," said Rodgers.

Ryan Grant carried the ball 17 times for 92 yards. Grant was taken to a local hospital for precautionary reasons after the game with a possible rib injury.

The star of the game, Jermichael Finley was able to find holes in the Bears base defense, head coach Mike McCarthy explained after the game.

"Jermicheal's a big part of our perimeter offense, [The Bears] don't really change a whole lot regardless of where you line people up. They're a gap, very fundamentally sound, defense. So you can shift and motion all day but it's not really going to affect the way they play. They do an excellent job, everything starts up front."

As for what could have been, Johnny Knox's would-be 89-yard punt return with less than a minute to play was called back because of a holding penalty. The Packers special teams went after Devin Hester who faked as if the ball was dropping towards him from the sky, Meanwhile all alone in the corner with the ball actually was headed out of bounds on the other side of the field, where Knox came out of coverage to make the catch. The FOX tv camera's were fooled as Knox made it up the sideline and to the goalline, only to have the TD reversed for holding.

Rodgers was impressed with the play.

"That was the most incredible play I had ever seen in seven years," Rodgers said. "And being a sports fan in that situation, it was incredible. I think everyone on the sidelines was wondering what the heck just happened as he was running down the sideline with two blockers in front of him. Honestly, it was the most incredible play that I have ever seen."

A Packers fan went Zapruder on the Knox play to reveal evidence of the Bears holding during the return. Click here to see the image.

Members online

Latest posts