Post Game Thoughts ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - what an embarrassment!!!

Again, the O-line rears its ugly head causing Rodgers to be completely out of sorts. I'll say it again - you just can't rely on 4th+ round draft picks to build a fundamentally sound O-line. I'm not sure when Ted Thompson is going to understand this concept. It's too bad, really. We've got such a stable of receivers that every year Teddy disregards the O-line, every one of those receivers is a year longer in the tooth. Rodgers really misfired on a number of should-have-been routine passing plays. This is what separates Favre from Rodgers. Rodgers is stupendous when he's given time and becomes comfortable, but with our O-line and all its inconsistencies, that brings out the worst in Rodgers. I think we all can understand now the reason why Favre won games more often than he lost them.

The defensive, again, proves an inability to pressure the QB when there was no blitzing. What a strange game, though. Every instance in which I figured we drove a dagger into the Bungles, we had defensive lapses and breakdowns in coverage. And, to let a pedestrian Benson roam free for a buck forty-one? Ouch!

I guess I am very guilty of buying into the preseason hype - the offense appears nothing like it did back in August. But, we've gotta suck it up because it is what it is. The good thing is that it is still early. The bad thing is that we lost a winnable game and let an inferior opponent exposed our weaknesses. Again, Mac shows no feel for adjusting mid-game or at halftime. It's like if his initial game plan isn't cutting it, he either doesn't see it or cannot counter effectively.

Well, it looks like another year of the Jeckyl-Hyde, Packers syndrome - ugh!!!:dontknow:

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, nothing like getting that last-second stroke of genius today in my survivor pool, switching Minnesota win for Green Bay. My reasoning was simple: Detroit always plays Minnesota tough and Minny was on the road and Detroit is bound to win a game - probably a division opponent would be most likely.

So, I switch to Green Bay because they were playing at home against an inferior, non-conference and non-divisional opponent - seemed like a no-brainer to me. DOH?!?!?!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mr. McCarthy has proven to be the same coach he was last year. He can't get his team ready to play for the first two weeks of the season. I think this is a team that needs to practice hard, practice tackling and practice blocking. I think this team practices soft once the season starts.

Mr. Thompson's lack of attention to the offensive line has reared it's ugly head earlier this year.

Whoever the guys were in the green jerseys that welcomed Ochosinqo into the stands should lose their season tickets.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are growing pains early in the season. Our season starts Monday night against the vikings.

If Brett was in there today he would have thrown a pick and the outcome the same. I am not sure if we have a running game problem or an o-line problem.

Kampman has been rather ineffective for a probowler.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my post-game thoughts on this one...MM should be removed as a play caller, and we need a dedicated Offensive Co-Ordinator. The head coach has too many other things on his mind (or he should have) to be able to sit there and come up with run run pass punt, run run pass punt. I'm sick of seeing it. "Let's run the ball on 1st down, but don't put a lead-blocker in front of Grant, and expect him to move 1500 lbs. of flesh by himself for 5 yards". FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, give him his William Henderson out there, then he can be productive. -
Next, what the heck ever happened to the 5 yard throw? If my math is correct here, if we get 2 completeions for 5 yards each, we get a first down and continue down the field towards a touchdown ! Also, if we throw 5 yard passes, they happen too quick for the opposing teams defense to even be able to sack Rogers, so you get an additional benefit from them. Why do we seem to be throwing at 3rd and 12 or 3rd and 20? We shouldn't even have to worry about that pass, keep the passes short and get first downs! Now the defense....Woodson was the defense. He was running around there like a MADMAN, picking off passes, tackling runners. Without him, we would have never been that close in this game. Clone me about 6 more of him. -
Somebody explain to me why this defense is letting the opposition get a first down when it is 3rd and 25? Didn't Green Bay run the same 3-4 defense when Philadelphia beat the Pack in the playoffs a few years ago by converting a 4th and 26 and it cost the defensive co-ordinator his job???? WTF. We just haven't learned from our lessons.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Apparently the weaknesses on this team are much worse than anybody expected. Wow. I'm shocked, disgusted and angry.

Haven't seen the game, and will post my impression after I do. But right now I can say the post season looks like a pipe dream when you get rolled by the Bungles.

Way to go Dom, 31 points!!! 31 Freaking points!!! Nice to see the 2008 D again. Jesus Christ.

btw.. watching the Cowboy game... did I just see cage dancers!!??? Yeah, I did. ROFL Ok, not technically cage dancers, but platform dancers. Nice. Guess it's appropriate with the Strip Club culture here in Dallas.

Hobbes09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - what an embarrassment!!!

Again, the O-line rears its ugly head causing Rodgers to be completely out of sorts. I'll say it again - you just can't rely on 4th+ round draft picks to build a fundamentally sound O-line.

Clifton, Colledge, Spitz. That's two seconds and a third. The latter two were selected by Thompson. Aside from this, yes, you can create a fundamentally sound line with mostly 4th or more round draft picks.

I'm not sure when Ted Thompson is going to understand this concept. It's too bad, really. We've got such a stable of receivers that every year Teddy disregards the O-line, every one of those receivers is a year longer in the tooth.
The O-line had it's problems, but the receivers were just as horrible tonight. Dropped pass after dropped pass after dropped pass. Really, the entire offense failed miserably tonight, not simply any one part.

Rodgers really misfired on a number of should-have-been routine passing plays. This is what separates Favre from Rodgers. Rodgers is stupendous when he's given time and becomes comfortable, but with our O-line and all its inconsistencies, that brings out the worst in Rodgers. I think we all can understand now the reason why Favre won games more often than he lost them.
Rodgers had his problems, namely holding the ball too long a few times, but he was the least of them tonight. You also seem to forget that Favre came with his own issues which Rodgers has thus far avoided. Namely the stupid pass plays into coverage.

The defensive, again, proves an inability to pressure the QB when there was no blitzing. What a strange game, though. Every instance in which I figured we drove a dagger into the Bungles, we had defensive lapses and breakdowns in coverage. And, to let a pedestrian Benson roam free for a buck forty-one? Ouch!
The big problem was that they were being to reactionary. They weren't leading their opponents so all their schemes and blitzes simply failed as they bought on any little fake and couldn't wrap anybody up. Even our best were missing tackles like receivers were dropping passes. Only Harris has been consistent through these games.

Overall I'd probably say fluke, but it's difficult saying that two weeks in a row. These guys have to get their act together. Every level of the team should not be playing this sloppy.

Still, it's a bit encouraging we were false start away from somehow, someway managing to go into overtime against a team which clearly dominated us throughout.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from this, yes, you can create a fundamentally sound line with mostly 4th or more round draft picks.

In theory and on paper, sure you can. I can also claim that most people could retire by age 40, because it's been done before. But does that then mean it goes from possible to probable?

If nobody cares to admit we have an O-line problem and have had the same problem for several years now, then the situation will never be rectified and we'll continue to experience up and down weeks with little consistency.

Things could be worse, but with a little attention to detail, they could also be a lot better.

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, just wow.

Great first quarter even though I thought it seemed like there was no energy to start the game.

Second quarter we were starting to slide but that Woodson INT kept us in there and kept us honest.

Then WTF happened after the half?

That was such a sad excuse for an offense out there. EVERYONE dropping balls. If the count in my head was correct GJ dropped 2, Jones dropped 2, Jermichael dropped 2, Lee dropped 1 and Grant dropped 2 and fumbled a beauty (#&*@!). We couldnt even move the ball from the end of the first half all the way to the last series of the game! If they could have stayed out there longer, running up the time of possession, then the defence might have had some time for a break, but that is asking too much with this offense so far this year. Aaron looked like POO, plain and simple. Sure the guy had 261 and a td but he completed just over half of his passes (yup tons of drops) and made some really poor decisions by not throwing the ball away a couple times when he was being pursued by his new bff for the week Antwaan Odom. So last week we were all on Barbre for letting Adwale get through all game now this week its Colledge/Clifton, whos going to have a huge game next week? Leonard Little or Chris Long? One more thing, how come Jordy Nelson did not return any punts or kicks?

To match the sad excuse for an offence was the sad excuse for a defence. I was too busy seeing red so I wont be able to analyze the defence greatly but the only two guys that I seen had good games were Woodson and Harris. Our safeties were downright hilaarious! Nick Collins getting hurt, F**K ME GENTLY! Aaron Rouse being less impactful than a fricken pilon out there (DID YOU SEE HIM ON THE CHRIS HENRY TD, F**K!), I should have known! Oh we have our two starting safeties out? Ok, so our starting safeties are now Aaron Rouse and Jarret Bush, f the f off. Oh so the biggest motivating factor for the safeties and secondary was not letting Chad OchoCoxinmouth get into that endzone, guess what? He marched right in there! In our house! Ya, thats what I thought. After this past week I am looking for the smileys holding the G Sux banner because after that performance, we deserve it.

As bad as we played, we actually had a chance at the end to tie the game and possibly win it in OT. It was a GREAT onside kick and I love that we have that kick in our artillery, but in no way were we in it right to the end. Against a playoff team this game would have been double the score for them, and half the score for us, EASY.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The preseason hurt us bad, I think MM got to caught up in game planing rather than putting in simple plays to see how the individual players perform, which is what preseason should be, individual evaluations.

MM does not know what his team's strengths and weaknesses are. We dominated in the preseason and he thinks his play book is wide open, no matter who he is playing. MM ignores or does not see the Packs weakness and plays right into them, instead of understanding them and game planning to our strengths. MM refuses to admitt he does not have the O-line to block for these long pass plays. Combination of 3-6 yard short and quick passes with running the ball helps that O-line alot, gives us long drives and keeps the other offense off the field, thus helping our defense.

Why does MM continue to go for the long pass plays? 5 sacks for one player. Again MM got out coached agian. People seem to blame TT for our O-line problems, but MM seems to think the O-line is just fine with his play calling.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know. Ted Thompson hasn't given him much to work with in five years. I mean, how hard is it to build a decent offensive line in five years?

Don't you think he should have signed a couple of veteran lineman? I think we are missing Mark Tauscher in a big way here.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned the amount of penalties in this game? Oh my it seemed like every other play there was some laundry on the field. The Packers were the benficiaries on a lot of those penalties which kept the game close but it was a dirty dirty game all over on sunday.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Losing is never good. Let me just get that out of the way right now.

BUT. I have to wonder if this team was way WAY too confident after the preseason and after the Bears game. I'd have rather won, but I wonder if getting embarassed like this will wake them up. Because despite what the score was, we were embarassed. Everyone that isn't Charles Woodson or Aaron Rodgers played some terrible football yesterday and I hope getting beat by the god awful Bengals wakes them up and makes them focus going forward.

Other thoughts:
-I'm beginning to think Ryan Grant isn't good enough to be an NFL running back. He runs in to contact way too often.

-What is with all the dropped passes? The Jennings drop on 3rd down on our first series really set the tone for the day, I thought.

-Way way too many penalties. That needs to be addressed.

-Maybe we should have drafted Michael Oher or something. Clearly the O-line is a bigger problem than the D-line.

-Ochocinco is a wuss for jumping to Bengals fans.

-Just sit still for a second Jermichael, and we might still have won that game.

-Seriously, our best running back this year might have been cut and signed by Carolina.

-We lost all 3 phases yesterday. Very humbling. I just hope this refocuses us and we play well moving forward. Certainly the opportunity is there to bounce back with playing St. Louis next week. I can't help but think Steven Jackson is going to have one hell of a day though.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, Jess. I, too, am looking at this game, thinking that this might be due to overconfidence, and that we're going to awake next game. But that is only wishful thinking. I drank the kool-aid, but I'm gonna be a naysayer until this team and coaching staff prove me wrong, and that's not just winning against St. Louis. That's winning against St. Louis, Minnesota and Detroit in a convincing way, something that actually shouldn't be hard (except for MN). Then I'll be my joyful self again. Until then, everyone not names Charles Woodson sucks.

pack12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how can the offensive line call themselves professional football players? what they did yesterday had nothing to do with blocking because 95% of the time they were chasing the player they should have blocked! then our receivers if you want to call them that cant hold on to the ball when it hits them in the hands! the defnse cant tackle to save their souls! my gosh 3rd and 34, and lo and behold they give up a 39yrd screen play! that beats out the 4th and 26! (referring to the philly playoff game)!

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things will be interesting against St. Louis. That Steven Jackson guy can do some damage. Let's see if they can get past this garbage play and compete in the NFC North.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The preseason hurt us bad, I think MM got to caught up in game planing rather than putting in simple plays to see how the individual players perform, which is what preseason should be, individual evaluations.

MM does not know what his team's strengths and weaknesses are. We dominated in the preseason and he thinks his play book is wide open, no matter who he is playing. MM ignores or does not see the Packs weakness and plays right into them, instead of understanding them and game planning to our strengths. MM refuses to admitt he does not have the O-line to block for these long pass plays. Combination of 3-6 yard short and quick passes with running the ball helps that O-line alot, gives us long drives and keeps the other offense off the field, thus helping our defense.

Why does MM continue to go for the long pass plays? 5 sacks for one player. Again MM got out coached agian. People seem to blame TT for our O-line problems, but MM seems to think the O-line is just fine with his play calling.

I agree. Basically, it all boils down to the fact Mac cannot adjust his game plan if things are tough-going early.

Look at how horrid Minnesota's O-line is in quarters one and two, yet by halftime, they look like a different offense because the coaching staff makes necessary adjustments.

Huh? I once proclaimed this current Minnesota coaching staff to be maybe the worst coaching staff I've seen, save the Mangenius coaching staff of the Jets last season. Pretty scary.

Also, we all realize Green Bay has enough talent to cover some weaknesses, and I fully expect a lot of our games will be blowouts in our favor. The problem is those weeks like this past Sunday where we're all left scratching our heads. It is going to be maddening really getting the majority to understand where the problems lie, which I believe is the O-line and Mac's refusal or inability to effectively coach during a game.

Hobbes09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting the blame on one person is really not the solution in this situation. McCarthy failed to get these guys into the mindset they needed for the games, but he did not fail in adjustments. Most of the game the team was using heavy protection, but they were still making penalties, dropping passes, holding onto the ball too long and letting guys slip past virtually untouched. Fact is when you adjust to a new strength and that strength becomes just as sore a weakness then there's not much you can do except attempt to whip them into shape, but chances are that's not happening until the next game.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting the blame on one person is really not the solution in this situation. McCarthy failed to get these guys into the mindset they needed for the games, but he did not fail in adjustments. Most of the game the team was using heavy protection, but they were still making penalties, dropping passes, holding onto the ball too long and letting guys slip past virtually untouched. Fact is when you adjust to a new strength and that strength becomes just as sore a weakness then there's not much you can do except attempt to whip them into shape, but chances are that's not happening until the next game.

I can agree with this. However, what I find difficult to accept is why we continue to cover the same ground year and year out? I mean, Green Bay's pass protection is far better than Minny's, but I'm not one to find comfort in an enemy's shortcomings.

It just seems to me our O-line is not that much better than the decimated O-line Favre had to work with in 2005 and wonder why that is???

Frustrating because every year you put off the inevitable, you not only have to eventually face the inevitable, but you are also losing other positions to free agency and retirement, so now you're left prioritizing potentially huge needs.

Hobbes09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aye, that's the frustrating thing. We know the talent is there. We know the ability is there. We know the coaches we have are good coaches (well, for the most part). Yet we get that Bengals game. If I'm not a fan of the Packers and I see that game then I'm thinking they're one of the bottom five teams in the NFL. Receivers who can't catch, no discipline, a QB who holds onto the ball too long, a defense which can't tackle, a line which couldn't block a little girl.

I see that game alone and I have to think the entire system needs to be overhauled because NOBODY did their job excepting a couple CBs.

But as a Packers fan I know better. I know our receivers have incredible hands. I know that Clifton, Colledge and Spitz are at least good in pass protection, if not great. I know this offense is capable of being one of the best in the league, if not the best. I know guys like Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly and Kampman can hold their own and just obliterate offenses. I know Capers is one of the best DCs of the modern era. Everyone here knows all this. It doesn't take much research to find this as fact. Yet we get games like the Bengals game where nobody executes properly.

Bengals>Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so yea i see a lot of hate i sort of get it id feel salty too. But saying we suck is funny. We for one should be 2-0 had it not been for the fluke against Denver. You really think we are going to be horrible this year your sadly mistaken. We will finish with a better record than you (fudge) Packer fans.

To whoever said Chad is a ***** for jumping into bengals. He said he went down the line and asked the fans, most declined and i dont blame them. He said he meant no disrespect.

But anyway i enjoyed the game and the bengals fought hard. Our team is coming along this year.

Its funny seeing all your predictions specially the shittalker ones and the ones who had outrageous scores. Eat them words *****es.

in closing..... Who Dey, Who Dey, Who Dey think going to beat dem bengals......... everyone on this forum (too bad it didnt help)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts