Post Game Impressions

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Feel free to add/discuss as I know I'm missing a bunch.

1. Preseason really means nothing.

2. GB's new Defense engineered by Dom Capers is surprisingly GOOD!!! And the LBs seem to play it well. Cutler had no idea what was coming, you could tell the D was a complete mystery to him and the 4 picks as a result.

The D kept good pressure on him all night. Welcome to the NFC NORTH Jay.

The D shutdown the run really well tonight. Did have some breakdowns in coverage but I'll attribute that to growing pains.

I thought Hawk was playing good tonight. I saw him in the mix of the action, and he did save that one TD whenhe forced Hester? out of bounds after he got past Woodson. Matthews also looked good.

Props to Al Harris on another shutdown pick and I wish we could have gotten some playing time for Raji in there. Can't wait to see that once he is healthy.

3. Our Offensive RT Barbre got burned by Oguleye. Our O-line was inconsistent picking up the Blitz, and protection for Rogers was questionable. He took way too many hits tonight. Urlacher's hit on Roger's was brutal. Was glad to see Rogers get up after that.

I'm looking forward to seeing the O next week get into a better rythmn and stop dropping balls.

4. Both QB's had opening day jitters but both were under tremendous pressure. Roger's overthrew and underthrew recivevers. Cutler looked HORRIBLE thanks to our D and his cruddy WRs stopping on routes. The love affair between Chicago fans and Cutler is officially OVER. Yeah, he is HUMAN Bears fans. 3 bad passes in a row for Cutler which resulted in 2 missed picks, and the final one we saw Collins held on. A pass into quadruple coverage? Oh my! Josh McDaniels is looking like maybe he knew something.

5. Ref nearly cost us the game with that BS Illegal contact call. Man, that REF should be sent back to the pee-wee leagues. Does he know this is the NFL. Probably a Bears fan...seriously.

6. Too many dropped balls by our WRs. Granted the throws seemed to be a tad high. Jennings made a gorgeous go ahead catch for the TD. That was pure gold.

7. Stupidest fake punt...EVER!!! Just no excuse in a 2pt game to run such a dumb play on your own 30 with 11 yards to go. Yeah, I know he was trying to catch Matthews.

8. Cutlers "It's just a game, No big deal" postgame was uncomfortable to watch. I almost felt bad for him. You could tell he was still in shock and his dumb face was showing bad.

9. We got a lot of work ahead of us, and all the preseason Hype is OVER. This team can be good, but they need to tighten down some loose ends before they can even think about playoff appearance.

10. No turnovers by the pack, and from what I could tell no serious injuries. I'm assuming Jolly had a cramp until I hear different.

11. I think our D is going to make the Bengals cry, and our O is going to score a ton of points on em.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Reposting this from the Official Game Thread because it seems to fit better here:

Excuse me while I rip off Peter King.

10 Things I Think About Packers/Bears:

1) The new D could take us places. Matt Forte, one of the top 5 backs in the league, was an absolute nonfactor tonight. Cutler, a Pro Bowl caliber QB threw 4 picks. Couldn't be more impressed.

2) Cullen Jenkins is a beast. Our best offseason pickup was getting him healthy.

3) Johnny Jolly is also a beast. Wreaking havoc all night, and that was far and away the best interception i've ever seen a defensive linemen make.

4) Brilliant call going deep on 3rd and 1. You know you're going for it on 4th, you may as well take a shot.

5) Rodgers was suddenly mortal tonight. Average numbers, but he came up HUGE when it counted. He was missing those deep balls all night until it mattered most, and then he hit Jennings in stride.

6) What's Mark Tauscher doing these days? I'm actually being completely serious when I say they should bring him in for a workout and see if he has anything left.

7) Cutler was horrible. I don't know if he was feeling the pressure of Packers/Bears, or if he isn't communicating well enough with his receivers, but he was terrible. I no longer fear him.

8 ) The Bears need to cut the long snapper that audibled into the fake punt. No excuse for trying that when you're up only 2 in the 4th quarter. He didn't cost them the game, but he didn't help.

9) My non-Packers thoughts for Sunday:
a) Favre was unspectacular in his debut. Lucky for him he didn't have to be. It was much like the Texans game where he needed only to be a Game Manager and let All Day win it for them. My God that man is a beast.

b) Brandon Stokely's catch will be the best play anyone makes all season.

c) The Cardinals might be the latest team to be terrible the year after losing in the Super Bowl.

10) Summing up, really couldn't be more impressed with the D. They won this one for us, which is something that didn't happen last year. The O needs work, and a game against a soft D like Cincy might be enough to get us back on track next week. A Rod finally got the late game monkey off his back tonight. He brought us back for a win in a game that wasn't against the lowly Lions. Will the Favre supporters shut up about that now? Probably not. Looking very forward to next week, I feel like we should slaughter Cincy, but as Chris Berman says "That's why they play the games."

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention that Grant looked like he was moving pretty good, and running with determination. Something we haven't seen since 07. That is a good sign imo.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok here is my htoughts: Rodgers had a tough game tonight because Barbre couldn't block a beach ball rolling at him last night. Granted he was matched up against that guy who is good but I can't spell his last name so I won't try, I really do think the Pack would of won by a greater margin had he been able to block. Situations like the 2nd and 17 after the sack killed them.

Also, it is only a matter of time until the deep ball will connect like it did. Jordy needs to get his hands on the ball and hold it. Driver had a first game jitter performance. Overall, the defense was stellar, but I think everything will come together once the receivers and Rodgers are 100% in sync. It showed how deadly they are on the GW TD to Jennings. Could be the beginning to a great year.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM was too predictable in his play calling, he was out coached in the offense

Offense was too over confident, thought preseason carried over to the bears, forgot you have TO PLAY THE GAME

Defense looked good, still alot of work to do. Don't know if the INTs were because of our defense or just poor play by the bears.

Woodson looked out of character during moments of the game. Al Harris was having a great game even before his INT.

Hawk played well in his new role and Chillar is key to our inside LB play. Barnett looked like he missed most of camp, he will be back just takes time

Mathews may be the real thing, time will tell and Kampman played just fine.

HATS OFF TO THE DEFENSIVE LINE, need to get Raji in there to keep them fresh

What happened to our tight end play?

I still think that TT made a mistake drafting a full back and keeping 3 of them with our offensive line issues. I like what TT has done in building this team but I just don't understand his thought process in addressing the o-line. Quin Johnson may be a stud later, but we need a o-line first. Trades, draft picks,and phone calls please( 1-800-OFF-LINE) please TT.

Members online

Latest posts