Post-Draft Speculation

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the lion's share of the offseason moves now accounted for, I wanted to throw out some speculation based on what the team chose to do with their resources. Bear in mind, I am saying right out front that this is *speculation*. We really don't know. I'm just making some educated guesses.
  • The Packers aren't actively pursuing Rodgers' successor, but they'll take the right guy if he's there. Post draft, a few sources confirmed that the interest in Drew Lock was deemed serious enough that the Broncos moved up in front of them to get their guy. Now perhaps the Packers wanted them to do that, but it's also possible that they are willing to take a QB early if they think he's the right prospect.
  • Aaron Jones is the man. Dexter Williams was a great value, and I think he will help in the running game, but waiting until Rd 6 sends a pretty clear message that they plan on Jones carrying the majority of the workload in 2019. That's great news.
  • The staff is really high on the young receivers. Passing entirely on a pretty deep receiver class sends a strong message that the team is expecting good things out of Allison, MVS, EQ, Moore, and maybe Kumerow. The UDFA haul isn't finalized, but even there they have only brought in two receivers, one of which is being converted to CB. Side note: I think Trevor Davis has an excellent chance to make this roster as a punt returner.
  • Marcedes Lewis will have a role on this offense. After the Packers took Jace Sternberger, Lewis remains as the only blocking TE on the roster.
  • Spriggs and/or Turner viewed as the future at RT? Green Bay passed on a strong OT class, despite the fact that this is almost certainly Bryan Bulaga's last season with the team. Perhaps they still believe Spriggs could be something there; alternatively, it could be that they see Turner's future outside (or they might have wanted an OT and it just didn't turn out that way).
  • Lane Taylor should be looking over his shoulder. The Packers spent a high pick on an interior offensive lineman one year after the Taylor yielded a lot of interior pressure. Jenkins could overtake him in camp. Depending on how the depth plays, Taylor could even find himself cut.
  • The FO gives zero ***** about Fackrell's 2018 sack total. They have now spent 30M/season and a 1st round pick on the position. Fackrell will still have a role, but not nearly as large of one.
  • Mike Daniels has largely been replaced a year in advance. With Adams still on the roster in development, the Packers signed Za'Darius Smith who is largely an interior rusher, drafted Rashan Gary who does some work rushing inside, and drafted Kingsley Keke, who projects to 3T/5T. They have thrown a ton of resources at interior pressure, an area in which Daniels has been declining.
  • Blake Martinez is going to get a 2nd contract. The closest thing to a challenger right now is Ty Summers. If they were planning to move on in 2020, a high pick would have been spent on the position.
  • Kevin King has at least one more shot. Despite being injury-ridden, the lack of a pick at corner until the 6th round speaks pretty clearly that he will be competing for playing time against Jackson and Williams.
  • Josh Jones is a dime linebacker... or nothing. The strong and free safety spots are now secure with the additions of Amos and Savage. They either don't see a future at all for Josh Jones, or they see it at linebacker where he can compete with Oren Burks.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't disagree with any of this. I had actually thought of approx. 1/2 of these yesterday afternoon but didn't have the cajones to post them.

I'm still confused a bit on the Martinez/ILB situation, though. A 2nd contract for Martinez will be at least $9Mil/yr. (that would be top 10) and quite possibly much higher (into the $12-14 Mil range (top 5) if he does well in '19).

Well done, Dantes.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with them paying Martinez. I think he's grown into a leader and he's made some progress each year here. I think he's a Packer for a long time.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have no problem with them paying Martinez. I think he's grown into a leader and he's made some progress each year here. I think he's a Packer for a long time.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it either, as long as people understand him for what he is and pay him accordingly.

Some metrics (i.e. PFF) paint a picture of Martinez that is quite a bit prettier than the reality. For instance, they will tell you that he is a very good coverage linebacker. While he has gotten a lot better dropping into zone, he can't cover in man to save his life. So they don't ask him to do it much, and thus PFF only assesses him doing what he does well.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily have a problem with it either, as long as people understand him for what he is and pay him accordingly.

Some metrics (i.e. PFF) paint a picture of Martinez that is quite a bit prettier than the reality. For instance, they will tell you that he is a very good coverage linebacker. While he has gotten a lot better dropping into zone, he can't cover in man to save his life. So they don't ask him to do it much, and thus PFF only assesses him doing what he does well.

He's also going into this year with hopefully an improved pass rush. Judging him based on this year would be a bit more appropriate as he's now going into his second year in Pettine's system as well.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He's also going into this year with hopefully an improved pass rush. Judging him based on this year would be a bit more appropriate as he's now going into his second year in Pettine's system as well.

An improved supporting cast will help the entire defense for sure, but it won't change Martinez's skill set.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Kevin King has at least one more shot. "
Well, of course he does. He's very talented, very young, and they need corners. I'm more worried that Josh Jackson will be a bust, but he has at least one more shot too. Other than that, pretty good post.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
"Kevin King has at least one more shot. "
Well, of course he does. He's very talented, very young, and they need corners. I'm more worried that Josh Jackson will be a bust, but he has at least one more shot too. Other than that, pretty good post.

But had they spent an early pick on a corner, we might assume they we're ready to move on.

Members online

Latest posts