Post 2022 Draft - Rank the Position Groups

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just for fun, I'm curious about everyone's thoughts....

QB - A+
Aaron Rodgers, 2 straight MVPs and full grasp of MLF's scheme, with a hopefully improved Love

HB - A-

Perhaps the BEST HB duo in the league in Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon... decent depth behind. Aaron Jones is also probably a Top 5(or 3) receiving threat out of the HB position

WR - B

Personally, I have always like Watkins and feel it was a steal of a pick. I like all 3 WR picks and if Watson can "sniff" the Randy Moss comparisons, that would be incredible. I believe the talent/ability is there with all 3 of our rookie WRs, they just now have to learn the MLF scheme and playbook. Amari Rodgers may not make the team.

TE - C-

I like Tonyan, and if he can/could replicate his 2020 season, he's a Top 5-10 TE in the NFL, easy. But can he? Behind him, Lewis is aging and Deguara really needs to show a jump in his 3rd year. I know that TE is historically the toughest position to develop, but we will have to see. I'd be happy with a Rudolph or Eiffert signing; just a guy who can produce ~40/480/5+ here would be acceptable.

OL - B+

This is an A depending on the health of Bahk and Elgtin. It looks like Elgtin will possibly be our new starting RT, which is great, he is a STUD. And Nijman would be fantastic as a swingman or top backup. Our interior incumbants were above average, particularly given their age, but the additions of Rhyan, Tom and Walker will add fantastic depth. Rhyan and Tom could also potentially start, so Runyan and Newman will be pushed hard if not possibly supplanted.

DL - A-

What a difference since last season. The addition of Reed, Wyatt and Ford, make this a position of strength IMO. I would love to see Clark and Reed/Wyatt on many 2 down DL sets. Lowry may be cut.

ILB - A-

I've actually been a defender of Barnes, but Walker is just better. This is again, making a weakness a strength. Campbell and Walker have a chance to be the BEST ILB duo in the NFL next year. And Barnes as your 3rd ILB, is not bad at all...

OLB/EDGE - B+

Preston and Rashan are great starters. I wouldn't be suprised if Rashan records 12+ sacks next year. Hopefully Preston doesn't have his numbers drop in an EVEN year. I love the Kingsley pick as your rotational 3rd EDGE guy, a Z clone.

DBs - A+
I think we have the best secondary in the NFL, provided J'Aire comes back healthy and around 2020 form. We could use some more Safety depth, but my guess is Carpenter will be used like Morgan Burnett was used. Kind of the hybrid LB/S thumper. I would love a true "Star" guy like Hyde, but my guess is that J'aire may do some of that type of stuff this year.

K - B-
Mason is underrated but we should always be looking for more consistency. Lambeau is a tough place to kick and I expect a bounce back year from him

P - B
Jury is out on O'Donnell but we just need a guy with experience kicking in bad weather, which he has. And a guy who can hold well, which I presume he does.

KR/PR - B
I like the rookie options this year for these roles. Again, Amari may not make the team.

Reaction score
I agree.

I’d like to know where you think we stand on ST? Obviously it’s early, but just in paper and off the cuff expectations

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.

I’d like to know where you think we stand on ST? Obviously it’s early, but just in paper and off the cuff expectations
Probably a B overall. I think ODonnel may help Crosby in being a potentially better/more consistent holder

We have like 3 new KR/PR options, so hopefully one hits?

I like some of out later picks, seem like good rotational defensive guys and also ST aces. Terrific draft overall honestly.

Amari may not make the team

D

Deleted member 6794

WR - B
I like all 3 WR picks and if Watson can "sniff" the Randy Moss comparisons, that would be incredible.

Who in the right mind would compare Watson to Randy Moss???

Probably a B overall. I think ODonnel may help Crosby in being a potentially better/more consistent holder

I like some of out later picks, seem like good rotational defensive guys and also ST aces. Terrific draft overall honestly.

It's definitely far too early to rate the special teams that high based on the Packers hiring Bisaccia and adding some players who have experience on those units.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A = Elite

B = Good

C = Average

D = Below Average

F = Terrible

Quarterback: A

Running Back: A-

Tight End: C

Wide Receiver: D+

Offensive Line: A-

Defensive Line: B+

Edge: B+

Linebacker: B+

Cornerback: A-

Safety: B

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wide Receiver: D+

Offensive Line: A-
Not sure how the O-line gets an A- when the WRs are a D. Beyond a Bahk that everyone hopes returns from injury and a Jenkins that is rehabbing from the same or similar injury you have all hopefuls. Everyone on the roster <more than 16 games. Trainees and wannabees at this point. B at best if not a C+. It all depends on continued development and the 2 studs returning at >90% of what they were.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not sure how the O-line gets an A- when the WRs are a D. Beyond a Bahk that everyone hopes returns from injury and a Jenkins that is rehabbing from the same or similar injury you have all hopefuls. Everyone on the roster <more than 16 games. Trainees and wannabees at this point. B at best if not a C+. It all depends on continued development and the 2 studs returning at >90% of what they were.

Packers will have a top 5 OL in 2022.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will have a top 5 OL in 2022.
So much of that rating hinges on Bahktiari and Jenkins returning to form though...

For WR, I don't know how you have them as a D. Watkins isn't exactly a bum and our 3 drafted WRs should probably supplant Amari and even possibly Lazard (on a pure talent/ability standpoint). PRIOR to the draft, yeah a C probably, but definitely not a D "post" Draft...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So much of that rating hinges on Bahktiari and Jenkins returning to form though...

For WR, I don't know how you have them as a D. Watkins isn't exactly a bum and our 3 drafted WRs should probably supplant Amari and even possibly Lazard (on a pure talent/ability standpoint). PRIOR to the draft, yeah a C probably, but definitely not a D "post" Draft...

Which I'm not worried about.

As I see it, they have:

A great LT
An elite piece in Jenkins who can play literally anywhere
A good LG entering his 3rd season
A promising center entering his 2nd season (when guys take their biggest jumps)
A good competition at RG between Newman, who played much better down the stretch, and Rhyan, who I like a lot.
An experienced swing tackle in Nijman.
A high end super sub in Tom.

That's a good situation. It's going to be a great unit. All off-season, I felt fans and media were overrating the need on the offensive line.

At WR, I gave it a D+, which by my scale means is just below average. I think that's fair.

Cobb is a slot only who is still useful, but on his last legs.
Lazard is a slot only of a different type who is most valuable because of his work as a blocker.
Watkins is still a good receiver, but he's oft-injured.
Watson is a high, high end prospect but he's a rookie coming out of the FCS.
Doubs is also a very promising player, but again he's a rookie coming out of a lower level of football.
Rodgers isn't a lock to make the roster in my mind.

So I think calling that group "a little below average" is pretty fair.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI, here are the Christian Watson comparison to Randy Moss articles:

Kind of unfair b/c Randy is a HOFer and his hands "may" have been better, we will see.

Both are tall, fast and can JUMP

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which I'm not worried about.

As I see it, they have:

A great LT
An elite piece in Jenkins who can play literally anywhere
A good LG entering his 3rd season
A promising center entering his 2nd season (when guys take their biggest jumps)
A good competition at RG between Newman, who played much better down the stretch, and Rhyan, who I like a lot.
An experienced swing tackle in Nijman.
A high end super sub in Tom.

That's a good situation. It's going to be a great unit. All off-season, I felt fans and media were overrating the need on the offensive line.

At WR, I gave it a D+, which by my scale means is just below average. I think that's fair.

Cobb is a slot only who is still useful, but on his last legs.
Lazard is a slot only of a different type who is most valuable because of his work as a blocker.
Watkins is still a good receiver, but he's oft-injured.
Watson is a high, high end prospect but he's a rookie coming out of the FCS.
Doubs is also a very promising player, but again he's a rookie coming out of a lower level of football.
Rodgers isn't a lock to make the roster in my mind.

So I think calling that group "a little below average" is pretty fair.

I guess it's all relative considering your scale...

In another thread, I posted how if we had 3 new WRs(combo of Free Agents and rookies) who could "roughly" each produce:

45/500/5+

Our receiving unit would actually be "better" this year than 2021 or 2020 and AR could possibly throw 50 touchdowns.

If you think about it, it's essentially equivalent to ~135/1500/15+ which is BETTER than Davante could have produced and/or equal to what he could MAX out at. But the good thing here is there is MUCH BETTER spreading of the ball and no central/focal point like Davante.

I assume Aaron Jones will get many receiving opps this year(also why I rated HB so high).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

In another thread, I posted how if we had 3 new WRs(combo of Free Agents and rookies) who could "roughly" each produce:

45/500/5+

Our receiving unit would actually be "better" this year than 2021 or 2020 and AR could possibly throw 50 touchdowns.

If you think about it, it's essentially equivalent to ~135/1500/15+ which is BETTER than Davante could have produced and/or equal to what he could MAX out at. But the good thing here is there is MUCH BETTER spreading of the ball and no central/focal point like Davante.

I assume Aaron Jones will get many receiving opps this year(also why I rated HB so high).

I don't think it's a pure numbers game of replacing his production. It's the skill set(s) that he brought to the field that other players on the roster can't reproduce. But yes, that loss could be partially mitigated if Adams' absence means Rodgers plays entirely within the scheme and spreads the ball around to whoever is open. But mitigated doesn't mean "completely off-set" or "entirely made up for."

Don't get me wrong-- I'm very bullish on the Packers. I could make a strong argument that, top to bottom, they are the best overall roster in the NFL. I think they're a serious Super Bowl contender. And I think that their offense can be excellent. The only serious challengers I see in the NFC are the Rams, 49ers, and Bucs, and the 49ers might not even be in that conversation if the Trey Lance experiment fails to launch. Dallas might be in that conversation for me, but they have MM at head coach so I'm not overly worried.

But I mainly believer in Green Bay's offense because they have an elite QB, an elite offensive mind at head coach, a good running game, and a great OL. If you have all that, you can make things cook just fine with below average receivers and tight ends.

And there's plenty of time for them to add more targets if they feel they need to. Shoot, they could do it at the trade deadline. And, of course, there's always the outside chance that one of the rookies comes on really strong, really early and changes the dynamic.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Best LT in the game, young and improving center, getting the best "play-anywhere-on-the-line-and-be-elite" guy in the NFL back in Jenkins, a decent Guard in Runyan and plenty of options at RG is the difference from WR, which is full of 3rd receivers at best, a couple high-potential guys that have never played a down in the NFL, and a reclamation project in Watkins who, despite playing in an elite passing offense, hasn't had 700 yards receiving since 2015. Oh, and the oline also has a great backup tackle in Nijman who can start until Jenkins gets back. Oline is probably the 4th best group on the Packers, behind CB, RB, and QB.

Also, you said B "at best" but have an issue with a grade of A-? That's, like, 4 percentage points.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude, we have like a HUGE hole at TE....

If Tonyan can come back at/near 2020 form we will be fine. Otherwise, it's just the remaining hole we have lol

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best LT in the game, young and improving center, getting the best "play-anywhere-on-the-line-and-be-elite" guy in the NFL back in Jenkins, a decent Guard in Runyan and plenty of options at RG is the difference from WR, which is full of 3rd receivers at best, a couple high-potential guys that have never played a down in the NFL, and a reclamation project in Watkins who, despite playing in an elite passing offense, hasn't had 700 yards receiving since 2015. Oh, and the oline also has a great backup tackle in Nijman who can start until Jenkins gets back. Oline is probably the 4th best group on the Packers, behind CB, RB, and QB.

Also, you said B "at best" but have an issue with a grade of A-? That's, like, 4 percentage points.
If Bahk and Jenkins are back and healthy, the OL Is an A easily. Even to my original post

If they are not, it is still a solid B/B+ in my opinion with great depth and young talent

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Without Bahk and Jenkins, this board would be plagued with "our OL sucks" threads. AtM Bahk hasn't shaken the effects of his injury and is an unknown. Jenkins is out at least camp and most likely until after whenever the bye is. I do like the youngsters from last season reinforced with the draft picks. That alone gives them a "C" without Bahk and Jenkins. Until the studs are back, I'm not giving much more at this point of the season.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a "C" is basically what we would call "league average," i.e. a particular position group is roughly dead in the middle-of-the-pack when compared to the same position grouping on other teams...

(OR perhaps it would be better phrased like, "How many teams would I want to swap position groups with?")

BTW, for sake of this exercise, I'm just going to assume we're talking about some hypothetical fantasy time where everyone's fit, healthy, and game-ready. And when I say "How many teams would I want to swap position groups with," I'm talking about for a one-off game, not long-term. Of course if I could trade Rodgers for say, Josh Allen, for the next 10 years, sure, I'd do that. But one-off, in a vacuum, today - probably not.

QB: (A+) Has to be, of course. We've still got the two-time reigning MVP. Alleged playoff troubles aside, there's nobody better out there right now. And while I'm not personally that optimistic on him, I think Love is probably one of the better backup-grade QBs at worst.

RB: (A+) Another "A" for me. I can't think of too many better 1-2 punch combos in the league. And if we're assuming good health, I was really excited with what we saw from Hill before he was hurt. Like I said above, I don't know if there's any team I'd wanna trade RB rooms with.

TE: (C) Eh, I don't know...This one is probably a low "C" or high "D" for me. If Tonyan is back in his 2020 form I guess that bumps that grade up. But the rest is largely still a lot of unknowns and...players who are good blockers, I guess. I think that's gotta be one of our weaker position groups, and one of the few complaints one could have about our draft, IMO - that nothing was done to address it. I'll call it a "C" for now; a 2020-level Tonyan probably raises that up, but if he struggles, it's probably lower.

WR: (C-) Again, probably a low "C" or high "D". Kind of depends if we're grading on potential vs actual production. If we're grading on what it could become in an absolute best-case scenario we're in a pretty good spot. But as it stands...our best and most proven WR at this point is probably Lazard. Cobb's best days are behind him, and Amari was literally a non-factor last year. Watkins might do something, I guess, but I wouldn't hold out for too much. The rest is pretty much all unknowns and "potentials". When looking across the league...I'm happy with the draft moves we made but it's still hard to think of too many WR rooms worse than ours.

OL: (A) Assuming good health? It's an A. A healthy Bakh is still IMO one of the best in the game at his position, and I think you can make that case for Elgton, too. We still finished with a top-half OL ranking last season (PFF) and in 2020 were #2 in the league. I was pretty impressed with Myers, too, and think that both Tom and Rhyan have the potential to be starting players by the end of the season. And it wouldn't surprise me if we hit it big with R. Walker.

DL: (B+) I think Clark is one of the very best in the league at his position, and the pairing of P. Smith and Gary was excellent last season. I was impressed with what little we saw of Slaton, too - have high hopes for him. Admittedly it's projecting potential, but if Wyatt pans out (along with some potential edge help from Enagbare and even Walker) it could really push this unit over the top.

LB: (B+) I'll call this one a B+, too. DeVondre was perhaps the best in the league at his position last year, and I think Walker is an excellent addition to that group. I don't think Barnes is really so bad, either.

DBs: (A-) Not a lot to complain about except that maybe we're a bit thin on depth. Jaire is among the best in the league, and Rasul was one of the best last season, too. Stokes had a great rookie campaign IMO, and Amos was excellent last year. You could probably say our "weak link" in the secondary is Savage, which is a pretty nice place to be.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Bahk and Jenkins, this board would be plagued with "our OL sucks" threads. AtM Bahk hasn't shaken the effects of his injury and is an unknown. Jenkins is out at least camp and most likely until after whenever the bye is. I do like the youngsters from last season reinforced with the draft picks. That alone gives them a "C" without Bahk and Jenkins. Until the studs are back, I'm not giving much more at this point of the season.

Without Rodgers the QB position sucks. Why are you removing players that we know are REALLY good. I have zero concerns about Bakh, those worried about him are ignoring the difference in ACL recovery between a 200 pound receiver and a 300+ olineman. Until he's not playing in week 1 I am not worried about him.

If we're going on the current group of players then receivers are, at best, an F since none of the draft picks have signed (what if they hold out?) and ILB is probably a C since the team is one injury away from not having a decent ILB again.

I understand your point I just don't get looking at this question this way. It's about confidence in various position groups and assuming proven players can't get back on the field from routine injuries seems to be ignoring the point of the question, to me. Although, that is why forums are fun, different view points. I can't wait for someone to claim QB is a C because Gute didn't draft another 1st round QB to "motivate" him and be the reason Rodgers is excellent.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Gute has to do that until the 1st round next year. Stats show that pissed off motivation lasts 3 years.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's a pure numbers game of replacing his production. It's the skill set(s) that he brought to the field that other players on the roster can't reproduce. But yes, that loss could be partially mitigated if Adams' absence means Rodgers plays entirely within the scheme and spreads the ball around to whoever is open. But mitigated doesn't mean "completely off-set" or "entirely made up for."

Don't get me wrong-- I'm very bullish on the Packers. I could make a strong argument that, top to bottom, they are the best overall roster in the NFL. I think they're a serious Super Bowl contender. And I think that their offense can be excellent. The only serious challengers I see in the NFC are the Rams, 49ers, and Bucs, and the 49ers might not even be in that conversation if the Trey Lance experiment fails to launch. Dallas might be in that conversation for me, but they have MM at head coach so I'm not overly worried.

But I mainly believer in Green Bay's offense because they have an elite QB, an elite offensive mind at head coach, a good running game, and a great OL. If you have all that, you can make things cook just fine with below average receivers and tight ends.

And there's plenty of time for them to add more targets if they feel they need to. Shoot, they could do it at the trade deadline. And, of course, there's always the outside chance that one of the rookies comes on really strong, really early and changes the dynamic.

Sure, I mean ultimately, you're right. We have 3 promising rookies so we don't *really* know what they can do

We can *HOPE* that Watson, Doubs and Toure can learn MLF's scheme and system quickly... .as could Sammy Watkins. But there's no real way to know

Ultimately, it's also a bit of a numbers game right? If HALF of those guys can pick up MLF's scheme and playbook, they could/should be able to produce based off their ability/talent level alone.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking about for a one-off game, not long-term. Of course if I could trade Rodgers for say, Josh Allen, for the next 10 years, sure, I'd do that. But one-off, in a vacuum, today - probably not.
ok

Reaction score

I agree on ST rating. I’m more in the well be a C+ B- range. But that’ll feel like an A+ after last season. :sneaky:

I highly doubt they cut Amari after 1 season. He was a Day 2 selection just last season. I don’t think 1 season, mostly on ST, is even close to enough information to make a grand declaration on his NFL career. I think people are seeing all these WR and making wild predictions, that’s what I think is more likely.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on ST rating. I’m more in the well be a C+ B- range. But that’ll feel like an A+ after last season. :sneaky:

I highly doubt they cut Amari after 1 season. He was a Day 2 selection just last season. I don’t think 1 season, mostly on ST, is even close to enough information to make a grand declaration on his NFL career. I think people are seeing all these WR and making wild predictions, that’s what I think is more likely.
Well they took some ST aces late in the draft

At WR, I see the locks as:
Cobb
Watson
Doubs
Lazard

Watkins
Toure
Amari are bubble guys

I could see Toure as PS being a 7th round pick so do we keep 6 WRs

I like the Watkins signing as he's only 28 and already HAS PRODUCED before in the NFL, I'd hate to see him cut.

So it really comes down to Toure or Ameri if we keep 6

Reaction score
Well they took some ST aces late in the draft

At WR, I see the locks as:
Cobb
Watson
Doubs
Lazard

Watkins
Toure
Amari are bubble guys

I could see Toure as PS being a 7th round pick so do we keep 6 WRs

I like the Watkins signing as he's only 28 and already HAS PRODUCED before in the NFL, I'd hate to see him cut.

So it really comes down to Toure or Ameri if we keep 6
Between those last 2 (and my limited research and film study on Toure)
I think Toure goes to PS. That’s not a condemnation, but more a projection that he’ll need more than 1 season of college production to knock off a 2021, 3rd Rounder. Unless there’s some personal issues or something I’m not privy to (which is entirely possible) Amari stays put. Toure will need time to adjust to this speed and a complex playbook. Cobb will likely be gone after this season or ‘23 max and Amari is the natural replacement

D

Deleted member 6794

FYI, here are the Christian Watson comparison to Randy Moss articles:

Kind of unfair b/c Randy is a HOFer and his hands "may" have been better, we will see.

Both are tall, fast and can JUMP

You shouldn't link to articles on websites run by Bears and Vikings fans when I'm looking for someone in their right mind :D

45/500/5+

If you think about it, it's essentially equivalent to ~135/1500/15+ which is BETTER than Davante could have produced and/or equal to what he could MAX out at.

That's not how that works though. If you have three receivers putting up those numbers they would have to be better than Adams to two other pass catchers for the unit to be improved overall.

But I mainly believer in Green Bay's offense because they have an elite QB, an elite offensive mind at head coach, a good running game, and a great OL.

I truly believe Rodgers is making the Packers' offensive line look way better than it actually is.

Latest posts