Possible Free agents for next year??

kelbel505

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers are in need of another DE to balance out KGB and a big DT to eat up O-linemen. If they could take care of one of those areas with a Free-agent that would fit. Just wondering if you guys know any DE or DT that are on the last year of thier contract and will be Free agents

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a close watch on Ted Thompson shows a General Manager who is very aware of the money vs. performance factor. So many of the big money guys bomb out(take your pick on the Vikings as an example). They succeed in one system, then don't fit into another.

I use this cap page frequently.

http://members.cox.net/cappage/

Scroll over the blank spot to find the link.

It has been very close to accurate. He doesn't show the cap waste for 2006 yet, but Hunt will carry over next year.
If the Packers don't sign a bunch of their own players(like Green and Flanagan) they could be far under the cap....but that doesn't mean they are going to go on a spending spree. I think he will take the New England approach rather than the Vikings approach.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
because Sherman has sent this year to the crapper....

Have a good weekend everyone! :D :tables: :beer: :mossfro:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
why are we talking about next year's free agents when this season still has a lot of promise?

IMHO...people can look ahead to the future without giving up on a current season. If it's an interesting topic to some fans and they want to discuss it, let 'em. :roll:

I agree that the Packers will probably look to continue building through the draft as that has been TT's style a la New England. Speaking of Minnesota's free-agent approach, I don't think anyone would have guessed that their defense would rank close to last with their FA pickups this year.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
because Sherman has sent this year to the crapper....

Have a good weekend everyone! :D :tables: :beer: :mossfro:

P@ck66,

Not that it matters but curiosity killed the cat, y'know...are you the man behind www.firemikesherman.com?

BTW, I'm leaning more and more toward the fact that Sherman must go, but probably not quite as passionate about it as you are at this point... :D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO TT is not goint to bring in any frr agents, he plans on building the team through the 2006 draft. a DE in the first and a RB in the second. :lol:

OP
OP
K

kelbel505

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the packers (TT) fire sherman after giving him an extension like that. Won't the packes have to keep on paying like they do hunt or am I mistaken.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kelbel505 said:
Can the packers (TT) fire sherman after giving him an extension like that. Won't the packes have to keep on paying like they do hunt or am I mistaken.

i believe the contract can be canceled w/o us paying for the extra year..dont quote me on that though.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I remember - the Coaches Salaries are not a part of the Salary Cap w/ Players

Even Sherman admits that Coaches take it - one year in, and one year out.

So, if he were to tank it this year, finally put the team in the crapper, then even the Board of Directors would be having Bob Harlan's replacement putting Mikey on the chopping block.... just think about the fan mail... seriously...

At the very least, I think this time around... certain underling Assistant Coaches won't be getting any blind protection and another Ed Donatell event isn't likely to be allowed.... Having Ted Thompson back, is the golden lining (hopefully) which will save the Packers from becoming another 49ers... or worse yet, another Arizona

I would think that TT is watching the FA wire just about every day..... even now!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB-

no...the coaches salary doesn't count towards the cap. my concern was if his 2 year contract was guaranteed.

and the Packers are nowhere near the 49ers previous salary cap woes. Sherman might"ve been irresponsible, but the two are not comparable.

Members online

Latest posts