Possible Bear Ricky Manning JR arrested for assault.....

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...WITH A DEADLY WEAPON!

Former UCLA cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. was arrested early Sunday and charged with assault with a deadly weapon after allegedly knocking a man unconscious at a Westwood diner.

Manning, a three-year NFL veteran who Friday had signed a five-year, $21 million offer sheet with the Chicago Bears, walked in to Denny's Restaurant just after 3 a.m. with four or five friends and began to tease a man working on a laptop at a nearby table, according to Los Angeles Police Department Det. Robert Lewis.

The man asked a Denny's employee to intervene, then Manning punched the man in the face and others in the group began to kick and beat him, Lewis said. The group then fled as an employee phoned police.

Manning was pulled over several blocks away because the Range Rover he was driving fit the description of the car witnesses had given police. Manning was arrested after the victim, who had regained consciousness, identified him, Lewis said.

The detective said police are still looking for independent witnesses to confirm the victim's account. A call to Manning's agent, Jim Ivler, was not returned, but the Chicago Sun-Times reported that Manning told his agent he had no involvement in the incident.

It is the second time Manning has been arrested after a fight in Westwood. In 2002, he was arrested and charged with assault after a fight outside Madison's.

This arrest is not expected to have any impact on the offer sheet Manning signed.

The Carolina Panthers, for whom Manning helped to the Super Bowl as a rookie in 2003 when he intercepted four passes in the playoffs, have until Friday to match the offer made by the Bears.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read this idiot:

It’s football, so a little bit bad can be good

By Mike Imrem
Daily Herald Sports Columnist
Posted Tuesday, April 25, 2006

If the accusations are true, hopefully Ricky Manning Jr. will be found guilty.

Assault is heinous, especially the kind described in the police report involving him.

Manning should do time if he did the crime … and then he should play for the Bears.

Oh, stop it. Stop your moralizing. If this were Peyton Manning, you’d try to break him out of prison to quarterback the Bears next season.

Ricky Manning is a nickel back the Bears signed to an offer sheet Friday. The deal is for five years and worth as much as $21 million.

At 3 a.m. Sunday, Manning allegedly was part of a group that attacked a Denny’s customer working on a laptop computer.

Five years ago Manning was charged with assault in the same area of Los Angeles. Indications are this isn’t always the world’s sweetest guy.

Quick, get him into the Bears’ secondary as fast as possible.

I’m serious. All the team’s news releases on the community service players perform are great. One arrived Monday morning saying a couple of players would help grade school students write letters to U.S. military personnel.

The Bears frequently perform admirable deeds like that, to be sure. But to be honest, the occasional act of mayhem ain’t bad either.

I mean, we’re not talking about people whose day jobs are as kindergarten teachers, nursing home supervisors or brain surgeons.

We’re talking about freakin’ football players, also known as big nasties and dirty hairies.

You remember what a football player on the defensive side of the ball does, don’t you? He hits people hard, trying to separate their bodies from the ball and their brains from their senses.

Football by nature is violent. Many players by nature are violent. Often, the more violent are the more valuable.

Actually, it would be good for society if somebody with two assault charges to spend considerable time at Halas Hall and Soldier Field. He’d be off the streets.

It might also make the Bears a better football team. Any team that wins a Super Bowl is going to have a few players of dubious character.

Heck, the Raiders were a dynasty while populated with the wild, crazy and even criminal. They became politically correct and ordinary all at once.

Now back to the Bears, who will have Manning if California doesn’t incarcerate him since Carolina declined to match the Bears’ offer sheet.

Last season the Bears made the playoffs with Olin Kreutz and Fred Miller, who had a fight at an FBI shooting range, and Tank Johnson, who recently had a brush with the law.

What football team wouldn’t want a defensive tackle named Tank? Or a millionaire nickel back still hungry enough to eat at Denny’s? Or a couple of guys reckless enough to scuffle in an FBI facility?

OK, so they’re poor role models. But again, we’re taking football here.

The roles they model on autumn Sundays involve inflicting harm on the bodies of their fellow man for our entertainment. Once we buy into that, only the details remain.

Football is a game in which players live on the edge for six months a year. Asking them to live off it the other six is unrealistic.

Long ago I resigned myself to marveling at men of dubious character performing remarkable athletic feats for my enjoyment.

You just hope they can play five years for your team of choice before or after serving three to five in Stateville.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this reporter was the fellow with the laptop in Denny's that was beaten unconcious, he wouldn't have wrote the story like that I believe. :wink:

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Bear fan, I will follow this story and see what the facts are.
As a human being, I will hope that the victim sues for about $21M and then that Manning Jr gets put away for life.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
As a Bear fan, I will follow this story and see what the facts are.
As a human being, I will hope that the victim sues for about $21M and then that Manning Jr gets put away for life.

If you were assaulted by a guy maybe even two guys in a public place and you knew there was a possibility to sue an NFL player over it(we're talking millions), wouldn't you say that Manning Jr was indeed the guy that did it whether or not it was true? Ricky might have just watched it happen. While I agree it is a act of a coward on the so-called thugs part, I'll wait and see on this one. You'd think that an NFL player in the middle of a huge deal would be a little more on the down low about committing illegal acts and in public nevertheless....you'd think. :-?

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears' Manning: No contest to assault
Posted: Tuesday September 26, 2006 8:07PM; Updated: Tuesday September 26, 2006 8:07PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Chicago Bears defensive back Ricky Manning Jr. pleaded no contest Tuesday to a felony assault charge stemming from an attack on a man in a restaurant.

Manning was sentenced to three years probation and ordered to attend a year of anger management counseling, the district attorney's office said.

He was also ordered to complete 100 hours of community service with a municipality or public agency or nationally recognized philanthropic organization not associated with the Bears.

Manning, 25, is already on probation for a similar misdemeanor offense in 2002 near the UCLA campus, the district attorney's office said.

Earlier this year, Manning, Maurice Drew and Tyler Ebell -- all former UCLA football players -- were accused of attacking a man at a Westwood restaurant. The man was kicked and punched in the face until he lost consciousness, police said.

Manning and his companions left the restaurant in an SUV and were pulled over by police when the vehicle was spotted from a helicopter.

The day after Manning's arrest, he signed a five-year, $21 million offer with the Bears.

The assault charge against Drew was dismissed in June because of insufficient evidence. Ebell's felony assault charge was reduced to a misdemeanor and he was freed on bail.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

##################################

I wasn't there, I don't know what was said or happened, but...
THIS GUY IS GARBAGE. How do you get caught for assault twice within 4 years and not go to jail?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the judicial system is broken

thats probably the main thing i took away from all my CJS classes.

a lot of states have truth in sentencing laws now, so if you get convicted of something, you have to serve at least 85% (felonies,violent crimes,fed) of the sentence. this was good, cuz people were only serving like 30%. Unfortunately, now the trend is judges just wont...sentence people to jail as much anymore, cuz the jails would be jampacked.

Theres some gross stats on the amount of prisons we have, and the amount we've built in the last 10 years,etc...and we're..running out of room, so instead of putting deserving people in jail, they get a slap on the wrist, cuz 'big brother' is more like 'little sister' when it comes to punishment.

mini-rant over.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you or I beat up some poor guy at a restaurant, we'd be thrown in prison, period. But because he's a pro athelete, he gets a slap on the wrist.
And the guy that wrote the article saying it was ok.....well, if it was his brother or someone he cared about that got beat, i bet he'd sing a different tune. I hope the guy sues for all he can get.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
If you or I beat up some poor guy at a restaurant, we'd be thrown in prison, period. But because he's a pro athelete, he gets a slap on the wrist.

Thats just not true, and i wish it was.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I guy I went to school with seen his gf kissing some other dude. He ran into the resturant (Pizza Hut) and punched him about seven times in the face breaking his jaw severely. He was sent to prison and he was a talented HS football player.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RMJ is in NY to meet the commish. I would guess that RMJ and Korean are going to be able to spend some time together real soon. Maybe knock back a couple 40oz's together, dine at Denny's, pummel some ethnics. GOod times.

This is the move that is going to hurt the Chi D.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts