Positions/Players to Watch

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Back when I had more disposable time, I used to watch quite a bit of the upcoming seniors over the summer. Those days are basically gone. However, I still like to look ahead at the roster and figure out who I'll pay attention to once the CFB season actually does begin.

Because I have limited time, I try to narrow my focus in on the handful of positions that I am really confident that the Packers will need to address. Of course other needs will arise and perhaps even some of the positions that I project as needs will turn out to be just fine. But in general, this has proven to be fairly reliable.

For an example, it's possible that the Packers end up really needing pass rush help after this season. But with Perry signed long term and recent investments in Fackrell and Biegel, it's also very possible that the future starter is on the roster. So I'm not counting that position (bit of a poor example, because I always watch the edge guys and you can always use more of them, but you get the idea).

So with that said, here are the positions that I will be paying a lot of attention to, as well as some names that seem to be worth tracking.

Offensive Line: This is really "guard," but when you're talking about the Packers you have to be aware of the tackles for obvious reasons. Lane Taylor is a FA after this season, and even if he's retained there isn't anyone on the roster who would seem like a lock to man RG in the future. Amichia or a UDFA might surprise, but odds indicate that they aren't future starters. Notable impending FA's include: Andrew Norwell , Justin Pugh, Jack Mewhort, Trai Turner, Gabe Jackson, Charles Leno, John Urschel.
  • Billy Price, Ohio State
  • Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
  • Frank Ragnow, Arkansas
  • Mason Cole, Michigan
  • Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
  • Martez Ivey, Florida
  • Braden Smith, Auburn

Wide Receiver: Nelson's importance to the offense can't be overstated, and he's getting up there in age. Adams is a good #2, but also an impending free agent. Cobb seems to have lost something after all the injuries. It's entirely possible that out of the mix of Davis, Yancey, Dupre, Allison, etc we see a contributor emerge. But the reality is that, over TT's tenure, if you're not a top 3 round pick you probably aren't going to be a starter. Notable impending FA's include: Alshon Jeffery, Terrelle Pryor, Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, Donte Moncrief.
  • Christian Kirk, Texas AM
  • Courtland Sutton, SMU
  • James Washington, Ok. State
  • Calvin Ridley, Alabama
  • Deon Cain, Clemson
Tight End: While the Packers certainly got better at TE over the offseason, they also got pretty old. Bennett is a short term solution. Unless someone way down the depth chart like Beau Sandland shocks, the Packers will need to find a future starter at some point. Notable impending FA's include: Tyler Eifert, C.J. Fiedorowicz.
  • Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
  • Mike Gesicki, Penn State
  • Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin
  • Tyrone Wheatley, Michigan
  • Deandre Goolsby, Florida

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Fumagalli stays healthy and puts up solid stats with that bright kid Hornibrook throwing him down the seam balls, Fumagalli I can see getting drafted rounds 3 or 4! He makes some really tough catches and takes some monster hits and just pops back up!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nice work, but considering how many underclassmen are drafted every year, you might have to expand that focus to include all the players that will be eligible for the draft after this coming year. ;) This year alone, 73 (of 103) underclassman were drafted, including 22 in the first round.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Fumagalli stays healthy and puts up solid stats with that bright kid Hornibrook throwing him down the seam balls, Fumagalli I can see getting drafted rounds 3 or 4! He makes some really tough catches and takes some monster hits and just pops back up!

Fumagalli is definitely a guy to watch. He has great size, knows how to block and catches almost anything thrown at him. He could have a big year with Hornibrook at QB, as well as the Badgers don't currently have a standout RB, which is odd for Wisconsin. This may be a year that the normally run happy Badgers will be airing it out more on offense and look for Fumagalli to put up some good stats because of it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hercules Mata'afa from Washington State is a stud edge.

He's a good pass rusher, good run stopper, plays with power and some speed.

Watch his tape. He stands out, a lot.

I would really like to get him as an edge rusher to replace CM3.

Latest posts