1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Poppinga still recovering from knee injury

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    good for him. Depth is good. Having a good Special teams is also good. Good.

3. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know, Poppinga didn't show me much last year. Maybe he can turn into a servicable backup. I don't think he's going to be any kind of an impact type player.

4. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree although it was his 1st year so, I wasn't expecting him to be a standout on our defense. I think as a special teams star and top backup to Ben Taylor at SLB, he'd be nice. Though I still don't see him being ready for the opener.

5. 60six

60six DIE HARD

Ratings:
    +65
    If Brady doesnt go on PUP to start the season,White and Cambell are fighting for the #6 spot thats not there.Hodge and Manning are 4-5

6. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Risking the futue of his career by coming back too early is a bad thing.

Many players have done this and made the injury worse(like Jerry Rice).

His injury was in December and most experts say it takes a year to fully recover not just "feel good". He may be able to run but hitting and getting hit at the NFL level is too much right now.

I don't expect much from him this year but will look for good play next year. He played DE in college so he was still getting used to a new position and the NFL during his rookie year.

Last year's rookies(Collins, Whitticker, Manning, Underwood, Montgomery, Rodgers, Hawkins) should show a lot of improvement. With Poppinga I expect little unless he further injures himself. No one wants that.

The PUP makes him inactive for the first 6 games. The Packers then have 2 more weeks(until 8th week of season) to activate him, cut him or put him on the IR.

IMHO he should be placed on the PUP and if no other LB goes on the IR then he should be placed on the IR and so the Packers retain rights to him next year. If another LB is on the IR before then, the Packers can activate him but keep him off the game day 45 roster unless absolutely needed.

Taylor and White are on one year contracts. In 07 the Packers will have Barnett, Hawk, Hodge, Poppinga, Manning(?), Campbell(?) and may want to sign Taylor or White again.

Campbell is practice squad eligible.

Isn't it nice to have too many players at some positions unlike last year when we talked about the holes in the Packers roster?