1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Politically Incorrect

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by FrankRizzo, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    This could be a touchy one, but I don't think so on here as everyone's pretty classy. Just keep the Giants, and Vikings, fans out lol.

Watching the Olympics..... it's natural to root for your country.
    But what if it's someone you don't like?

Is it acceptable to have country pride?
    What about state pride? You have 2 Americans, one from Wisconsin and the other Cali... we'd usually root for the Cheesehead, naturally. That's ok right?

What about these:

What if you root, let's say it's rythym gymnastics where many of the girls are hot, thin, etc.... you root for the prettiest one? OK right?

What if you're an Asian-American.... and you have a Japanese swimmer against an Italian? OK to root for the fellow Asian?

What about black?
    I've been part of the tennis and golf industry and have seen this countless times across America.
    You go to a tennis match and if there's a Williams sister playing, every single black spectator in there will be rooting for the Williams. Naturally. Same with Tiger Woods in golf.

In boxing (pro, or MMA, etc.) when you have a black guy vs a white guy, all the black fans (almost always, 99%) root for their own.

That's obvious and not an eyebrow-raising statement.
    But is the reverse acceptable?

My question is it as okay for the reverse, for the white fan to root for the white guy/gal?
    I know Jordy Nelson, Wes Welker, Larry Bird, Dirk Nowitzki, etc. have taken heat from people only because they were white, as Tiger and Williams did vice versa.

Also on religion.
    Roger Federer is Catholic, so is Juan Martin Delpotro, and Novak Djokovic is Christian as well, like so many Packers are (see Twitter: Jennings, Rodgers, Tramon, Cobb, Driver, Jones, Gurley, Collins, etc.).

Is it okay for an American Catholic to root for the Swiss Catholic Federer over the American Atheist Roddick partly due to the religion part?

Is it okay for an American to root for the white runner in a field of almost all black guys?
    Is it okay for an American midget to root for a Bulgarian short guy vs an American tall person solely due to the little guy factor?

Let me hear your smart people thoughts on these matters!
    My mom thinks I should always root for the American pure & simple.

But I don't like LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony. I also hate Serena! But I did root for Serena against Azarenka in the semis and Sharapova in the finals because those 2 white girls scream, grunt, shriek, so loudly on every shot! Serena didn't even though she was killing the ball harder than they were!

Is it okay to have pride in fellow Asians, Blacks, Whites, Jews, Christians, etc.?
    Your thoughts?

2. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I to would root for the Olympic Americans. If u got 2 teams from USA going against each other I see no problem rooting for one & not the other

3. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Also I see nothing wrong w/a white person rooting against Tiger as long as its b/c u don't like him & not b/c he's not white. Tiger is or was a great golfer. I root for him occasionally. Depending on who's playin.

4. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I must be color blind because I never consider their race. In fact, I was taken aback when the commentator stated that Gabby Douglas was the first Afro American to win the gymnastic all-around. Seriously? Is that something to even be considered, less mentioned?
    I find it sad that this favoritism based on race/religion is an all too common occurrence. IMHO.
    And furthermore, I strongly dislike all Viking and Bears fans regardless of their orientation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    very well put.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,978
    This goes with out saying..

PLEASE try to keep it civil..This is just a friendly reminder to play nice

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    I'm with GBG, mind you, I am NOBODY'S politically correct person - neither the time nor the inclination to put that kind of effort or thought into that hornet's nest. The little that I've watched of the Olympics, I've caught myself viewing with wonderment, the level of dexterity and skill of the athletes - regardless of their nationality.

What really grinds my beans is that I didn't sit down to watch ONE Women's Beach volleyball game. I'm somewhat disappointed in myself for that because even though I'm oblivious to a lot of things that irritate the living hell out of a lot of people ... I just haven't been able to shake my sexist appreciation for the female form...I believe that "oggling" of the female form should be an Olympic sport...I just can't help myself... I have a pair and am not yet dead. So...I'm going to have to hit You Tube one of these days. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    I dont really put much thought into who I cheer for. If they are likable and american thats good for me. If its an event that doesnt have americans I cheer for the best story I guess.

9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,862
    People need to decide who they are. They need to come up with a definition of bigotry, and decide if they want to be a bigot. There is no middle ground. You cannot be a little bit bigoted anymore than you can be a little bit pregnant. Everyone needs to decide if they wish to associate and/or support bigots.

My definition of a bigotry is: 'Treats people different in thought or deed based on a category of people."

This isn't to say there aren't differences between us - I think you are foolish not to recognize patterns. But, the key is not to think different or treat someone different because of it.

As a test, try this: Next time you hear somebody speak, switch the colors around. Say if a Black person is talking everytime he says blacks, imagine the speaker is white and he is talking about whites, and vice versa. Many times it will sound very racist. But that seems to be okay - there are some acceptable racism in this country that I just don't buy. And if you are reading this thinking, 'Yeah, but the guy is black so that is okay.' Then you just failed the bigot test by my definition above.

10. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I'm blonde. You should see what I have to live with.

11. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I cheer against the "Dream Team". I don't like most of the guys who were on it and I think they need to kick the pros out of the Olympics. It's pointless to even have basketball in the Olympics when the games themselves are a mere formality. Same goes for pros in hockey. Kick the tennis pros out too while you're at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    They tried that. It ended up with 28 yr old european men vs 18 yr old boys.

13. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    I have a spare room over the garage if you want to upgrade.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
  15. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    What kind of person even CARES who it's "acceptable" to root for? America and Americans are superior to everybody else in the whole damn whole in every way. If you don't believe it, you can go and live wherever the hell you think is better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Hmmmm....This reminds me of the old Love It Or Leave It" bumper stickers from the 70's.

17. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I have

18. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    damn straight! I had one of those on at least 3 different cars.

19. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I used to have a bumper sticker that said Don't tailgate me or I'll flick a booger on your windshield.

20. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +484

I moved to Thailand 17 NOV no plans of ever returning.

21. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    I tend to root only for the USA. I learned when I was a Marine, that no matter what color or religion you are, if you are a Marine you were my brother.....black,white, asia or whatever...if you are from the USA, you get rooted on by me.

Only exeption is if it is a british vs china or something similar, I will go with the good guys.

• Like Like x 1
  22. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    Hallelujah Brother! It's a GOOD vs. EVIL world, even after the Cold War ended.

To the guy who moved to Thailand, I hear there are some other real good reasons to enjoy Thailand hahaha. Hopefully your heart is still in America even if your ........ enjoyment ........ is in Thailand.

23. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +484

27 year US AIR FORCE AGE 60 Can not live this life in USA.

24. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,862
    People associate with what is most familiar to them.

You are in another country and you have to board a train. Two seats available. Cabin A full of whites. Cabin B full of blacks. Which do you choose? If you are white, Cabin A. Now suppose everyone in Cabin A is wearing Chicago Bear clothing and all of Cabin B is wearing Packer stuff. I opt B. Now suppose A - White/Bears/Conservative and B - Black/Packer/Radical Islamic Clerics Back to A for me.

AKA race is a characteristic that may indicate a more likely compatibility. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Creative Creative x 1
  25. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    Racism depends a lot on how you define it. A lot of what the leftist mainstream media calls racism is simply citing facts and statistics. Also, the who and how is important. Blanket discrimination according to race is clearly a moral wrong. However, blanket suspicion and discrimination toward groups who set themselves up as our enemies damn well IS justified. Hell yeah, I mean muslims - and not just the radicals who are a tangible threat, but also all of their sympathizers - who by all accounts include nearly 100% of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.