1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Please STOP editing

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by DePack, Mar 18, 2006.

1. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ryan....I wasn't a part of the edit fest last night but I have been edited before for ridiculous reasons. Calling a player a jack-*** or using the term testicles is now a cause for editing. I know you will back them up but now these mods seem to be making a contest out of it. Who can edit the most?

People disagreeing, sometimes heatedly, is what this forum is about. Let's not change it to one long lovefest, please.

Personally, I would rather my post be deleted rather than edited. When you edit it, it is no longer my post. Thanks....I expect only half of this post will be here in an hour!

2. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, Mods need to remember that their title implys moderation.

Vulgar over the top posts getting axed is one thing, but heated debate does not need intervention, unless it slides over the top. Even then it should be the poster who goes over the top getting deleted, not both posters.

3. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Posts will be edited or deleted for reasons stated in the rules. I wish I could go through the entire board and not touch a post but that is not the case. People calling other members names is not going to be acceptable, period.

The reference you made to the "human anatomy" was in a derogatiry personal fashion, thus, it was edited. Had it been a medical thread, and the context of the post appropriate for the topic, the term is perfectly acceptable. The context it was used in was the same as name calling or a personal attack.

I am all for a little razzing or crap talking, but when we go post to post to post to post of people calling each other profanic names and id10t's etc etc etc, not cool. It doesn't bring anything positive to the thread or community.

We need to figure out how to discuss things without getting into a 6th grade name calling battle.

Statement on name calling and personal attacks.

4. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Some of you guys are forgetting that this site was made for your use, but it's not yours. I know from experience that Ryan and the mods are alot more leniant than most other message boards. There were a couple times that I went crazy on a thread that they stepped in and tried to "moderate" me and the thread. I appreciate that. When you complain about how they moderate, remember that there alot of other websites that will just ban you with no explanation. When they stepped in on my problems, it not only stopped the fight, but reminded me how immature I was being about the situation. I'd much rather have a group of mods that will try to step in and keep things civil, than mods who will just make you disappear because they are to lazy to do their jobs.

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I have been one of the people going around editing posts because of the fact that, as Ryan said, things are getting WAY out of hand. It is one thing to have a heated debate, which we encourage, but it is another to call someone names like dumb a**, s**t head, d**k head, jack*** because they differ from your opinion. That is what we try to edit out, and believe it or not that IS what we have been editing out. Have we gone on an editing rampage, well yes I have because the amount of nonsense that stems from attacks and name calling on the forums is unbelievable.

If a person who posts once in a blue moon replies in a thread, and someone says "this is the stupidest s**t I have read", you tell me how that is a heated debate? If you have a problem with the post, USE FACTS to state why you disagree. If you think editing is riddiculous, then consider how redundant and riddiculous it is of us to go around edit posts that attack users. Honestly you may not mind the name calling and personal attacks, and you may engage in it because you don't have a problem, but that doesn't mean that the other members of this forum don't have a problem with it either. Hey I'm all for heated debates, but not to the point when threads become a medium of name calling and personal attacks.

I try to edit out the personal attacks and name calling to continue promoting discussion of the topic. If you want your posts to be deleted outright, I have no problem with that. But some of the posts I edit have a lot of good points, and I try to let them stay so others can respond to them without intimidation and fear of being attacked upon if they disagree with someone. We don't edit for fun, we spend time reading through MANY posts to make sure it is clean, and for the last while every day people have been going at it. I've had enough because I come here to discuss Packer football, make jokes, and see what my Packer brethern are saying. I don't come here to see grown man insult each other. As you can tell by this rant, it is frustrating.

6. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly what I try to do as well. Well done.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well.......i don't see why grown men can't ACT that way in the first place. The moderators shouldn't HAVE to sit looking over your shoulder. I have seen more alowed on this site then any other site i have been on. There's even a spot (the smack area) where you can pretty much say whatever you want. It seems the more they allow, the more some people want to abuse it, then get mad if they arn't allowed to curse at each other.
    I always liked listening to Bill Cosby, cause the FEW times he would swear, it was for a REASON or the shock value. It wasn't every other word. Since i started coming here, the threads have become constant cursing at each other. Now, if some 13 year old kid comes here, they think thats the RIGHT way to talk, because they see "adults" doing that constantly. I say keep it in the SMACK area if you want to tear each other apart.
    Just my opinion

8. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    we all need to remember that we are visitors here in "ryan's place" - he's the owner & he makes the rules. like it or leave it - period!

9. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Nobody said it wasn't Ryan's board you idio........ just kidding. I understand this and like I said he does a better job than any other forum around.

Everybody wants to be rightious? Fine. Ryan I do ask that in the future, If/when I cross the line my entire post gets deleted, not edited. Once again, if you start changing words in my post, then it is not my post, and I would like my name taken off it.

BTW....when digs used testicles it was in jest and I believe it truly WAS a medical question!

10. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I prefer the delete method myself. It's easier plus people say things they don't mean and the comment serves best deleted instead of edited.

11. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Yea....I understand the need for moderating....but changing someone's post by plugging in your own words......is abusing the power of moderating. Just delete, please.

12. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    agreed...it's easier too. :wink:

13. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    No. What would be abusing is say you state Barry Sanders sucks and I come along and edit it to read Barry Sanders is god with no commenting left from me stating I edited your post. That is abusing moderator powers. Removing personal insults/attacks with a kinder phrase is no where near abuse of moderator powers at all. Perhaps replacing the words is not the most popular way of moderating, but then again if you don't want your post edited/deleted don't say something that would cause either action to take place.

Pretty simple isn't it. Heck, if you wouldn't say it to your grandma don't say it here LoL

Believe me when I say I know where you are coming from. I've been on both sides of the fence numerous times.

14. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't know replacement of the words was happening, but it will no longer go on. I haven't done it, I will generally remove the offending word and place a "*". If it's a sentance I will again remove and replace with a "*". I like this method as the point of the post 99% of the time isn't lost and the thread can continue to move on.

Like Z2C as long as we aren't changing "Barry Sanders was the greatest football player ever" to "Z2C was the greatest football player ever" I think everyone will be ok.

15. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I certainly consider this forum to be everyone's that is involved here. I always take people's opinions into consideration before making changes and always honor all suggestions made to me via thread, pm, email or other. I want everyone to feel that this is a place we can discuss OUR favorite team in a venue we are all comfortable with and that we understand how to use.

16. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    or u could just write it like @$$ we all know what it is anyway. I love your forum.

17. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I removed '*******' 'moron' etc with 'great person' before. Guilty as charged. Then got tired of spending so much time editing I just started deleting their post entirely.

18. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should only edit people who get really out of hand. A name here or there wont hurt anyone.

19. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think any of the mods actually replace the words that are edited, we all just do what Ryan said, put a "*" and then "Edited by....." and a reason. I don't recall changing around words, but I agree that if that is what has been done then it is wrong.

A name here and there is what leads to things getting out of hand. You call someone a name, they aren't going to be all happy about it, and will likely call you a name back. Before you know it, you've got name calling and personal attacks going on left, right, and centre. We all promote joking around, and things in jest, but like Ryan said, we should stick to the forum rules. :)

20. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  21. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    My grandma is dead....but thanks for bringing that up :(

Seriously though, I understand the need to moderate.....I just like to bitch....errr......complain :wink:

22. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is a much more lenient forum than another one which I read. I do agree that name calling is uncalled for. That is so "junio highish". Thank you to all the moderators who keep this board clean and fun. I really enjoy coming on here. Have a great day all.

23. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well said, carol k! i've been on forums that are MUCH more strict & i've always said this one has the perfect mix - moderation when needed & letting it go at times also. love this site!! :D

24. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I'mma moderate you! ... wait ... umm ... nm :)

25. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    why you little perv...wait...nm!! :lol: :wink: