1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Playoffs still possible?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Forget Favre, Nov 6, 2013.

1. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +332
    I agree.
    I don't think there will be a wildcard from the NFC Central.
    With that being said, if the defense can produce a few holds til Rodgers gets back, the Packers still win the division.

2. Terre Haute Cheesehead

Terre Haute Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +191
    No doubt! Win the division or else, I'm afraid. The WC may not be attainable. Still 7 games left, but at least 2 more without AR. It will be a MUST to have him behind center on Thanksgiving for us to have any chance to get back in the hunt for the division crown.

3. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +350
    Anything is possible. However it's looking bleak. Lions have the easiest schedule in the NFL rest of the year and with the way our defense has looked I think Andre Brown has to be licking his chops for next weekend (especially if Pickett can't go next week). Lions play the Steelers and Bucs before we see them again and you have to assume that they win both. As bad as the Packers have looked, they'll probably lose at least one of the next two which, if those assumptions hold true, would leave the Packers facing a three game hole if they lose to the Lions on Thanksgiving. When I first saw the schedule I liked the early bye week because the Packers basically have another bye after the Thanksgiving game. Now, the Thanksgiving game means that Rodgers doesn't get nearly as much time to heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I felt we had to win 2 of the three games going into the Thanksgiving game against the Lions. It's still possible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    Yes... I agree with Ceodore.... We NEED a WIN vs NYG.... If we lose 3 in a row the wheels might fall off entirely. Then I think we can beat the Vikes even with Crosby playing QB.... BUT the NYG game and turkey day games are HUGE now! Detroit has Pit and TB before Thanksgiving and I can't see them losing those games after pulling out the road win in Chicago.... If they beat us at Ford Field They will most likley take the division.... and we might have too try and win out for that last wildcard spot....

Carolina and SF should be playing tough for that last wildcard spot as well

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,127
    Possible. Not probable.

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    Possible. Crosby and the defense have to step it up the rest of the season.

8. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +332
    Crosby's issues seem to have resurfaced since they started having him kicking off again, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +384
    If Rodgers is out 6 weeks IMO we can only lose 2 more games & win out like 2010 & that's getting the #6 seed. 11-5 doesn't guarantee us a playoff spot

10. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +861
    THIS^^^ drives me crazy! Wasn't Masthay booming most of his kicks out of the endzone? And Crosby was on a roll. Why fix something that wasn't broken? Now, we return to the other team's starting on the 25+ yard line and Crosby missing again. DOH!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Crosby missed two and made two on a very gusty day. Henery missed a shorter one than either of his. Let's keep it in perspective.

12. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    I know there is a lot of doom and gloom right about now...rightly so I guess.

A couple observations...still haven't had a chance for a backup qb who has had a week of preparation, play a game. I think MM has shown what he's capable of with getting Flynn ready...I'm interested to see what Tolzien looks like against the Giants. Seems to have the tools to be effective but who knows.

Also...shouldn't surprise anyone the defense isn't stepping up. They are and have been mediocre for some time. With Rodgers aura putting pressure on opposing coaches/gameplans the D can look good, but without him around they are exposed for being just ok.

13. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    ....and, you need to stay away from PFT. That place is a cesspool.

Oh yeah, playoffs are possible to be sure. We go from 5-2 in a very ugly way because of an injured Hall of Fame QB ... believe that if the injury bug hits us...it can hit any NFL team. We've got time. Aaron heals in time to outrun our own defense....we've got time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +861
    I also don't like that Crosby kicks are not often touchbacks. Our KO coverage isn't very good and with most run backs, the other team is surpassing the 20 yard line.

15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,127
    In an early-season thread I posted Crosby's career split stats. Here they are again:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8447/splits/?season=career

What jumped off the page for me then, and what should jump off the page now, is how Crosby's make % drops sharply as the weather gets colder. These stats suggest he's about a 70% kicker at 40 degrees which was about what it was on Sunday. It doesn't get better from here in outdoor northern games.

And it's not like this is a universal kicker reality. See Dan Carpenter:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9032/splits/?season=career

Here's a guy with a warm-weather-kicker rep, but somehow the Bills knew better. We should have dumped Crosby for Carpenter when we had the chance.

16. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +350
    Not sure I believe that Carpenter's 5 total cold games represent a very accurate sample size, especially when 60% of his kicks in that weather were 20-29 yards (Crosby has played 16 cold weather games and only 24% of his cold weather kicks were from that close).

Yeah, 90% is great, but he's only attempted 10 FGs in 21-40 degree weather. Crosby has attempted 33 FGs in that temperature and made 70%. The fact that Crosby has played in more than three times as many cold weather games and yet only attempted 2 more FGs in the 20-29 yard range than Carpenter tells me that you can't just compare the numbers and say one is better than the other. Fact is that Crosby is being asked to make much longer field goals than Carpenter.