1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff positioning

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by adambr2, Dec 2, 2012.

1. MiamiBeachPacker

MiamiBeachPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +258
    Yeah, and I have regretted it ever since!

2. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Is there a scenario where we might play the Skins assuming they beat out either the Giants or Bears?

3. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,049
    Sure, they beat out the Bears for #6 seed and we don't catch SF for #2. and stay @3. Or they catch the Giants for #4 and we lose the division and slip to #5 .

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    http://chicagobearsboard.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?25963
    More fun from the Bears site I frequent...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,686
    It's worth winning every game you can. Even if you don't get the bye (which is no brainer desirable), you play on to get a home game in the first round, and maybe the second round too if one of the bye teams gets knocked off.

The problem comes in when you earn a bye in week 16 or earlier, and then have guys go flat by not playing for 3 weeks. One game rested...good. Two games rested...bad.

6. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +377
    The Giants take pride in what they do. In being a team that can go on the road against the best team in the NFL and win on any given week. And also consistently having 9-7, 10-6 regular season records. They have had our number in the Playoffs. I guess it is what it is. If what adambr said is true, that we are more likely to face them later if we get the North title, then do it. Difficulty- 9.5

And I wouldn't want to risk heading into Seattle anyway. As we've learned some crazy stuff can happen in that stadium. But, if our offense can get going against them, it could get ugly. The Packers just have to play above them. Difficulty- 8

The 49ers for some reason don't scare me as much as they used to with Kaepernick in now. I don't know why. Still fundamentally the best team in football. That being said, I don't think they'd be too hard to overcome anymore. Difficulty- 8.5

The Skins' are a good team no matter who they have at the helm. Both are really good. Facing them would be a big adjustment for our defense. A lot of options and bootlegs. I'm sure the rest of the NFC East is already used to it. We won't be. But RG3 isn't god. Difficulty- 7.5

Atlanta is us last year. Too busy riding the high of such a great record to notice the wheels on the carriage fell off 5 miles ago. If we play them, 2010 all overrr again. Difficulty- 6.5

The Bears are Lame-o. That vaunted defense can't scratch out a turnover or a stop anymore. Their whole offense relies on the shaky duo of Cutler and Marshall, since Forte now resides in CJ2k-I-got-my-money-ville. And the best kick returner in NFL history is too busy dropping wobbly-knuckle balls from Cutler to return a kick out past the 20 anymore. If they somehow sneak out a win against us in the regular season, good for them. Post-season difficulty- 6

• Like Like x 1
  7. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Absolutely. At this point, anything from a #2 seed to a #6 seed is realistic for us. So any team between 6 and 9 wins, which is most of the teams in the NFC, is a potential early opponent.

Right now, the NFC playoff picture looks like this:

1) Falcons
    2) 49ers
    3) Packers
    4) Giants
    5) Seahawks
    6) Bears

So right now, the Bears would be coming to Lambeau. Seattle is right there with them, but they have the tiebreaker and would be the #5 seed. Looking at the schedule for both teams, they're still both likely to get to 10 wins, so they should make it, but there are still plenty of possibilities. But the Bears and Seahawks are the most likely opponents right now.

8. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Packers have been finding a way to beat these teams. It isn't pretty but the W is what shows up on the stat sheet. The playoffs are an entirely different story. Will are O-line be able to garner success against the Seahawks, 9ers, Giants? Matchups say no. The eye test says no. This mini resurgance the last few weeks could very well be a mirage come playoff time. On the other hand. The offensive line could play WAY above their heads and Surprise in the playoffs. I still lean toward the former.

9. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +392
    the 3rd & likely team would be the Redskins should they win out. That would be a good match up as well

10. P-E-Z

P-E-Z Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    In order to beat the Giants we need effective running game and our own big pass rush.....

11. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116
    Not thinking about seeding yet, just thinking about winning the division. The Packers obviously win the division with a win over the Bears, but what about a loss? Then the Packers would need to win the final 2 games to win the division, or beat Minnesota and get a Bears loss. A 3-way-tie between the Packers, Bears & Vikings (possible if the Packers lose to Bears & Vikings and Bears lose one of their other games) would result in a Vikings division championship and the Packers in second.

12. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    24 More Quarters of Football, if we play almost all of them well.

12 Regular Season.
    12 Playoffs.

13. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +392
    We win this Sunday & the 49ers loose we'll be seeded #2. I'd rather the 49ers come up here than us go there. Also no rookie has ever led his team to the SB.

14. P-E-Z

P-E-Z Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    weather our 12 th and crowd 12th players...

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Ben Roethlisberger?

16. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    ^big ben was a rookie in 2004, they went to the super bowl in 2005, so nope.

17. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Kaepernick isn't a rookie, he was drafted in '11....but he still might play like one in the playoffs. Hopefully.

18. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    ??? who's talking about him ??? anyways......teams now have more film on him and he hasn't looked like he did in his first start. Teams will slowly get better at defending him. Hell, the lowly rams made him look retarded.

19. UpDownEndAround

UpDownEndAround Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17

Try post #79.

20. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Post #79.

But no, I agree, the QB controversy in SF might actually turn out to be a positive thing for us.

21. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    What I say here might get me summarily executed by the Packer faithful but I'll risk it.

I hope we beat the Bears and knock them out of playoff contention. (not risky, I know) Not just because I can't stand the Bears' fans, but because I'd rather see the Vikings get a chance to clinch a WC spot. Why you ask? Because of AP. If there is anyone in this league who deserves a chance to be in the playoffs, it's Peterson. He's the heart and soul of that team, and if he dashes for over 2000 yards this season and propels the Vikings into the WC spot, then IMO he should be the MVP.

Does that mean I'd like to see the Vikes beat us last game of the season even if we have the division wrapped up? if we nothing to play for, well maybe. Otherwise. . .

22. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,501
    I won't criticize you for your opinion. But rooting for the Vikings over the Packers in Week 17 if we have nothing to play for? Yikes...

The only circumstance I can ever root for the Vikings or Bears in is a game which has playoff implications for the Packers and a win is beneficial to us. That's it.

I respect AP, but he's a rival of the Packers, not a friend. There isn't a single one of them who would want to see us get in if they were the division leaders and I certainly wouldn't wish playoffs for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Hey Oshkosh, see above.

Also> Big Ben became the youngest Super Bowl-winning quarterback in NFL history, helping lead the Steelers, in his second professional season, to a 21–10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL at the age of 23.... Kaepernick is also in his second season, like Roethlisberger.

24. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Packers win
    Bears lose
    Giants lose

But the Vikings win and at 8-6, they are still in play.
    But they lose next week at Houston and they go to 8-7.

We play them the week after, final week.

Redskins lead the NFC East
    Wash 8-6
    NYG 8-6
    Dal 7-6 (vs Pitt now)

Seattle is clinching a WC spot today.....

GO NEW ENGLAND TONIGHT

25. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +858
    Seattle can't clinch anything today.